SOD Warlords - Faction Descriptions

Users who are viewing this thread

Speaking of nigh-invincible armies, I have stumbled upon a formula for one against the Legion. Group together some pikemen and approximately twice their number of elephant melee infantry to ROLL the imperial field armies.

Up until I discovered this today, my experience with pikes had been limited to siege battles, where they got roflstomped. However in the field they are absolutely amazing at owning the troublesome Imperial cavalry, while the fast elephant infantry keeps in front of them and shields them from receiving any damage. Once the elephant inf are high enough level, with decent equipment and hitpoints, the sheer number of them can also prevent them from suffering many casualties. These fast moving units are also great at eliminating the enemy's crossbowmen - I haven't lost many men even when the enemy deploys a large number of crossbows. I don't even have to give any orders, just let the infantry charge and they sort themselves out wonderfully. To minimize casualties I lead a highly-distracting cavalry charge with a few mercenary horses and my mounted companions right before the battle lines meet.

Sweet, I've been trying to come up with a way to repel Legion troops when there attacking me. I find that Maranian troops are pretty good at this since there Calvary have shorter than normal swords. Do you think that this could get better when formations are in?

I like to mix marinian halderds with with antarian swords men, the heavy armour is good for taking hits and the marinians reach can keep them out of harms way. I can't wait to get a spear wall of halberds. One thing that will be a must in the formations is some kind of formation attack order, I think you have it as I have seen plans for a tactical charge in the voice script which is good. One thing that kills the formations in brytenwalda is you only have the choice of being in formation or attacking. I have watched as my shieldwall stands 6ft away from a charging enemy as it makes mince meat of my archers!!!!! VERY ANNOYING hehe

I find that antarian elite infantry are practically a spear wall by themselves. Those two handed swords will bring down cavalry very quickly.

cardgame said:
I find that antarian elite infantry are practically a spear wall by themselves. Those two handed swords will bring down cavalry very quickly.
Yes, I use them in that role too. Note that when the ones with the biggest swords do a thrust, the range is quite impressive.

Also, they have heavy armor and are good in a straight up fight (unlike most spear units). And are good to go in an attack. Usually they can mince horsemen and then advance a bit to mince the infantry behind them.

Once you have the logistics like replacements (Antarian lower tiers waiting in castle) and training (lots of companions work). A good mix can use training up to Vet. Inf, and then a mix of Vet and Elite will be self sustaining. just feed in vets at the bottom.

That said, a good crossbow or longbow line in front helps a lot, as it reduces the need to "close" and can give you useful long range standoff options (especially crossbows, you can just hold your shields out if the enemy wants to missile duel from an advantageous position, THEN take out your bolts).

The strengths will definitely change with formations. If there was a good way to REALLY make my antarians scatter about (currently they clump up here and there) but make Marianans stay close, it would change the dynamics quite a lot. (Loose Marianans would help against skirmishing/lighter cav)

Clumped together Antarians are the best Antarians. The only way my elite antarians die is when they get involved in a 1v5 fight or something ridiculous like that, or headshotted by ranged troops. That latter one doesn't happen often when I use Antarians, because I'll be riding my warhorse in and running their archers through with my lance.

LibSpit said:
I have always preferred the two handed horse back axe swing against archers, chop...dead, chop....dead and chop...dead!
How well does that work against infantry with spears? 

Just as a reference, as late as 1951, a (badly led and provisioned conscript) unit of the US Army was overrun by Chinese horse cavalry.  Nobody had told the draftees that the reasons you have bayonets included turning cavalry into kebabs, they didn't have sufficient unit cohesion or institutional memory to overcome howling horse raiders from the Mongolian Steppes. Also, US defense cuts had excised not only a lot of fat, they had in many places severed muscle and deeply gouged bone after WWII. 

Nevertheless, even today modern military rifles still have bayonet lugs, and as recently as 2001, US Special Operations troops participated in a cavalry charge on horseback. Luckily, nobody explained to the Taliban what the bayonets were for, even if they had the unit cohesion to defeat a horse charge, so the Green Berets lived to tell the tale.

It generally works better than a lance aganst a spear wall as you can take them from the sides of your horse rather than gunning right down the middle.

Wow, i got so fooled by Zerrikanian Sultanate two-handed axe epic looking dudes. I thought they were like nords, totally raping ass infantry. Quess what? Possibly the crappiest infantry there is. Epic mod, keep up the good work :smile:

besterich27 said:
Wow, i got so fooled by Zerrikanian Sultanate two-handed axe epic looking dudes. I thought they were like nords, totally raping ass infantry. Quess what? Possibly the crappiest infantry there is. Epic mod, keep up the good work :smile:
Aye, they do some damage but there speed and the distance they swing needs to be rebalanced.

Hi, I recently reinstaled warband and I played this mod. I noticed that there are no mercenary's keep as in SoD for M&B. Did I miss them?

Btw awesome mod!

Back
Top Bottom