Your Bike

Users who are viewing this thread

If you're young, any bike. If you're old, pick one that is comfortable for you. Everyone has different opinions on what is comfortable on a bike. Personally for me, cruisers make my back hurt, I'd rather be in an upright or sport bike riding position. Also different bikes have different dimensions as far as seat height, width, etc. I find certain bikes super comfortable that other people think suck and vice versa.

Yay, got my license (or at least, passed the exam for the license. stupid bureaucracy means I had to hand in my german car driving license which has no expiry date and will get a dutch one back that's only valid for 5 years, and I'll also have to wait for it for "up to 6 weeks" and will not be allowed to drive cars nor motorbikes till then...)
but still, only took me a year. :facepalm: :party:

:grin: :grin:

so...asking for a friend (really!). it is high time to upgrade from my boyfriend's old Suzuki GS500F, and I think he's somewhat attached to the brand, so we did a test drive on two Suzukis this weekend, a GSF650 Bandit and a DL650 V-Strom. I'd only judge as a passenger, and found the former's seating kinda cramped, and also boring because, as the dealer explained, the exhaust was too big/strongly muffling. also he said smoother riding results from the 4 vs. the Vstrom's 2 cylinders.
While I get the feeling most participants in this thread are more of bike connoisseurs, both Paul and I are pretty much noobs about bikes and mostly just want them to get us from place to place...so can anyone give a somewhat clear explanation/opinion on the difference/benefits of one vs the other?

Necroooo. Bought a new bike today! Touring Germany in April.

kDf-J.jpg

JKBpU.jpg

Got back from a 4-day trip between Holland and Hannover today, "sharing" my boyfriend's new Vstrom. After starting with a total of 7 hours on the first day, we dialled it down to 4-5 for the two in between and opted out of the scenic routes for the last day, going back home by highway. x)
Gathered a lot of helpful experience though, like that I'll die of the cold no matter how many layers I wear if I'm just sitting still for more than 2 hours with less than 10°C. :???: Or that we probably won't need a huge expensive top case after all, when we could fit all we needed for those few days into a waterproof bag strapped to the luggage rack and a backpack strapped to me. :grin: And I realized again that even though I grew up in "flat" northern Germany, it's still quite a lot more exciting, bike-tour-wise, than the Netherlands. :neutral:
And another learning point: should've tried out the bike too before he bought it, then we would've known beforehand that I cannot drive it, even if he'd let me try my hands on his brand-new vehicle: my feet won't reach the floor when I sit on it. :sad:
T-IHR.jpg

Do you people understand from like Bicycles? I plan to get one however I literally have no idea what I should get. I really would like to use it both on-road and off-road. If you have suggestions of bicycles please let me know.

See OP:
Pharaoh X Llandy said:
Post pics of your bike(s), tell your bike stories, talk about what bike you'd like to ride/own/have hawt sex on, and generally discuss any and all things bike related.

Car drivers, cyclists, pedestrians.... GTFO.

(Unless you also have a bike)
:razz:

That said, could've warned against 10°C travel. It's not a temperature you want to do more than 50km at. I remember my trip to Sweden, which was late enough in the year that on the way back I had to stop and thaw my fingers against my engine every 10km >_<
Also, short people problems ^__^

When's your own biking licence?

We actually considered ourselves lucky, weatherwise, because we had planned the trip for a while, since a dutch national holiday gave us a great long weekend opportunity, and they forecasted rain and meh-ness for the whole time. in actuality we met like 5 rain drops and actually quite a bit of sun, which helped.

also- I have one.
Paula said:
Yay, got my license (or at least, passed the exam for the license. stupid bureaucracy means I had to hand in my german car driving license which has no expiry date and will get a dutch one back that's only valid for 5 years, and I'll also have to wait for it for "up to 6 weeks" and will not be allowed to drive cars nor motorbikes till then...)
but still, only took me a year. :facepalm: :party:
with being a house owner and aspiring gardener though, owning a bike myself really has lost priority, and for future trips we'd probably just rent one for me. a nice and small one. :razz:

Angelsachsen said:

Awesome. We had a big bike run down here in Cornwall today. It's called Martin Jenning's run in memory of bikers that have died on the roads. Hundreds of them drive past my house every year, quite a spectacle!

Back
Top Bottom