Permanent Death?

Should a chance of permanent death for the player and AI lords occur?

• Yes.

Votes: 91 17.6%
  • No.

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • It should be optional.

Votes: 285 55.2%
  • Yes, but only for lords.

Votes: 67 13.0%
  • Yes, but make the chances of dying very slim.

Votes: 49 9.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

about permadeath, if you die, will all your savegames be automatically deleted?  or will this only have a real effect if you started the game with realistic saving?

It should definitely be optional. If not then there should be a slim chance of death as it can be very frustrating if you just die and have to restart. I've already encountered this frustration today as I went to save my game. All of a sudden Warband crashed and I abandoned playing it for the past few hours. =/

Halsemon said:
It should definitely be optional. If not then there should be a slim chance of death as it can be very frustrating if you just die and have to restart. I've already encountered this frustration today as I went to save my game. All of a sudden Warband crashed and I abandoned playing it for the past few hours. =/
I know exactly what you mean...

Computica said:
Halsemon said:
I encounter situations where I rage-quit frequently... mostly due to my 3GB ram T^T
Also, I noticed that you spelled, 'scimitar' as 'cimitar'. I would've mentioned this in the Bug Reports and Known Issues, but it's neither a bug nor a big issue. Simply my inner Grammar Nazi coming forth =P

Halsemon said:
Computica said:
Halsemon said:
I encounter situations where I rage-quit frequently... mostly due to my 3GB ram T^T
Also, I noticed that you spelled, 'scimitar' as 'cimitar'. I would've mentioned this in the Bug Reports and Known Issues, but it's neither a bug nor a big issue. Simply my inner Grammar Nazi coming forth =P
Thank you I'll fix it...

Thanks It'll be changed in the next release. It looks like whoever named it before gave it the same name as the model name...

Computica said:
Halsemon said:
Computica said:
Halsemon said:
Thank you I'll fix it...

Thanks It'll be changed in the next release. It looks like whoever named it before gave it the same name as the model name...
No problem, glad to help in any way I can since I've logged almost a hundred hours in the version for the original M&B, so I'm equally excited when the full-blown version for Warband comes out.

I think this would be a very interesting and engaging feature for kingdom management. You as the king may die in battle but you could have it set up where you can generate offspring who will be played when your main character dies and so on and so forth. And for the technical aspects (if you just have a kid then die) you could have it where the game does a time lapse of events where perhaps your kingdom lost a castle or two before your heir came of age to rule your nation.  If implemented you could add an aging feature to the game as well, and a name generator for other lords who pass away and are replaced by new lords/their heirs/etc. Would be really atmospherically engaging to me as well as make the story more lengthy for some instead of having 100 year old men killing each other :razz:. Maybe as your character ages it effects their stats, when they get out of their prime they get more and more likely to die from a wounding blow.

@DwarfJuggler: I'm not all that familiar with the Warband code but something tells me such feature(s) would be very difficult to implement and would be a source of countless bugs.

Also, the main storyline would span 1-2 years in total, so your character won't age that much...

It would definitely  make the game a lot more tactical instead of you right off the bat rushing into combat. It would have to have some sort of balancing though. Like there should be a reward to risking your life and charging into like a 300vs300 man battle. (Not just victory :razz:). 

DwarfJuggler said:
I think this would be a very interesting and engaging feature for kingdom management. You as the king may die in battle but you could have it set up where you can generate offspring who will be played when your main character dies and so on and so forth

Agreed. But you should only be able to come back as an heir if you have a spouse of some sort. If you just randomly spawn again then it will defeat the purpose. You should also balance this heir system too. The heir should be considerably weaker than your previous character, making it worth it to keep your main alive.

OR if you want some inspiration from CRPG: You could have your king retire and bring in a weaker heir, but have him stronger than the usual starting character, to give you a bonus.

i reckon there should be like a second health bar, say 10 points, and everytime you are knocked unconcious you lose one point, if the counter reaches 0 then the lord dies, and every week you get 1 point back.
in that way it also simulates the rest period required after a near fatal injury.
just my idea

MasterCaruyn said:
Permanent death would be cool, but I don't like how the game is completely over. Maybe then play as one of your companions. Like if you die, one of your companions takes the reigns from there. Or a family of sorts, or something even more creative. But complete end game...

adding this idea ontop of that would be an even greater addition to the games realism

Agreed. But you should only be able to come back as an heir if you have a spouse of some sort. If you just randomly spawn again then it will defeat the purpose. You should also balance this heir system too. The heir should be considerably weaker than your previous character, making it worth it to keep your main alive.

Yeah and you could have it set up where you could possible have members of your kingdom training your heir in certain aspects. Like swordsmanship so they start with some strength and 1hand sword skill etc etc.

And as it being hard to implement, I don't doubt it. And the game only being about 1-2 years could be changed by changing the interval in which time moves. Instead of daily you could have it set to seasonal. Every "day" change is 3 months. Although this might stir an issue with being able to pay for troops :razz: Would need to be tweaked quite a bit. (have no knowledge of programming or mount and blade warband engine limitations and such :razz:.) Just would be a cool implemented idea.

So many great ideas in this thread!  The problem i see is that everyone wants a fairly complex death system.  I feel that if a death system was implemented it should be pretty basic and straight to the point.  you either played recklessly and died because of it or.. a random javelin thrown just happens to nail you in the face and thus kills you  :evil: .

My simple system would be as follows...

If one of theses two circumstances happens  time would  speed up, elapse say "X" amount of time( something long enough so that major events can happen such as you losing territory, but not too long that you don't get to actually continue your game) and than you get the option to continue as a sibling of your current character or the option to start a new game.  This gives the hardcore players the option to start fresh and the newbies the option to learn from their mistakes and continue to play  :eek: .  As far as the chances for you to die in battle.. well that will be the real hard part .

Sorry if my grammar sucks or if my thoughts are all over the place.. had a long night writing a midterm paper.

I think that if there is permanent death it you should have certain mechanics where death is a guarantee if you lose like duels to the death for quests or if a someone who dislikes you alot takes you captive. If you do die it should also be where you respawn somewhere as if you just started the game with no renown no gold no fiefs and no troops but any territories you siezed are still owned by your lord or if you were king the character with the highest renown in your kingdom becomes king

bladefight5 said:
You mean make a new character, except still in your "save" I suppose?

well the way I mean it you wouldn't have to make a new character your old character would respawn as he was when you started the game

MorrisB said:
The Player him/herself shouldn't die. It would prevent the story from proceeding, and would be a source of lots of cussing even amongst seasoned players.

Lords could have a slim chance to die (somewhere between 1-5% ?); they already have such a chance to permanently perish in vanilla MnB SOD  :???:  I wouldn't mind if this could be switched on/off, though.

Also, there could be an alternative to executing nobles. Instead, let them have a final duel with the Player (the Lord should be given back his equipment for the duration of the fight of course). If the player wins, the Lord dies but since he was given a fair chance to put up a fight this won't cause honor/renown penalty, at least not so much as an execution. But if the Lord wins, he gets released and re-joins his original faction. Opinions ?

I like the idea of this but i think there should also be a way to just execute them with the appropriate relations/honor loss... maybe it could also make other lords more likely to escape for a while if you have them prisoner?

It almost sounds like an expert in "Deathmodding" should just make a side mod sorta thing. Like something you can implement into anymod at will like the Comabt Enhancement mod. If someone just made an amazing thing like that, high respect and great addition to any mod!

Back
Top Bottom