Authentically medieval jousting, etc. (AKA why the SCA is more fun) (pic heavy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Róisín

Weaponsmith
Grandmaster Knight
Another picture thread, this one of the SCA event I was at last weekend.  We'll start with an authentic medieval jousting tournament.

Yep!  100% accurately medieval!  From the rattan boar spears traditional lances to the electric scooters horses.

Don Mathieu steels his nerves for the bout:
sst2006-jousting1.jpg
sst2006-jousting3.jpg

And Baron James stands ready to face him:
sst2006-jousting2.jpg

After the bout, Don Mathieu is faced with a new challenge- GROUNDED PIKES!!  Well, grounded boar spear and marhsalling staff:  Sergeant Seth Starr and I prepare to receive his assault.
sst2006-jousting4.jpg

Unfortunately, he didn't actually impale himself on our weapons.

Next time, Mathieu!  NEXT TIIIIIME!!

Some other random pics:

My pavillion, badly in need of dagging, a pennant, and toggles for the door.  It has only one pole and no guy-lines, and I can set it up by myself.  Huzzah for medieval (and modern) ingenuity!
pavillion.jpg

The Bardic Circle on Saturday night-
Me and my wife, Lady Abigail eshes Eogan enthralled by the performance
sst2006-enthralled_bardic_sm1.jpg

My Lady and my SCA daughter, Aine:
sst2006-abigail-aine_sm1.jpg

And lastly, here I am at the archery range (I came in not-last!  Don Mathieu took that "honour" from me. :wink:) and enjoying the Champion's Tourney Saturday afternoon:
sst2006-archery_sm1.jpg
sst2006-eogan_sm2.jpg

You can find a bunch more pics of all the boring stuff, like the combat, here:
http://pistolleer.com/gallery/SST2006?page=1

Didn't you say you were in An Tir?  What are the main events on that side of the country?

Oh,  and I've gotcha beat.  I once jousted from a forktruck.  :mrgreen:

Destichado said:
Didn't you say you were in An Tir?  What are the main events on that side of the country?
I am indeed.

An Tir/West War, Estrella (down south), Clinton War, and all the requisite Crown Tourneys and Coronations (September Crown, May Crown, July Coronation, and Twelfth Night).

Around here, the big yearly even is Sea Lion war between Seagirt (us, YAY!) and Lion's Gate (them, BLEH!).

No, this is what reenactors do to blow off steam when they haven't changed clothes yet.  See the wikipedia entry on "dicking around with friends". :roll:

Touch all you want. :smile:  We're not living history orgs, and though some of us are trying hard to get there, we have to keep an institutional sense of humor about the occasional historical atrocity in pursuit of a good time. 

Tease of us and we'll make fun of ourselves a lot more pointedly -we know where our faults are, after all.  But don't *insult* us, especially not for faults that aren't ours.

Larp kicks ass. Leave it alone, it's a fun thing to do ^_^

especially when you start to get some crazy battles o_O then it's awesomeness, flailing bodys everywhere, tis so kewl....

anyways, haha nice pics ^_^

those pics are good and funny as well especially the elctric bike with basket as a horse.

Back
Top Bottom