Historical Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Braxton said:
I moved my stuff here apparently no one is paying attention, This is why no one used this thread.

Rath0s said:
We pay attention, but doesnt mean we have to reply to it.
Dear Rathos, if my tone again appears in English translation is very rough, then I beg you, forgive me, you understand correctly, but I'm not guilty: I wrote everything in a restrained, respectful tone! and that you gave a translator ..... I do not know!  :sad:

Rath0s said:
No problem, but you use this "!" quiet alot, and that what makes it sound like a rough tone.  :wink:
Thank you. I'll take it into account.

I looked at the Russian soldiers. I could be wrong, but simply want you to take into account the following information about horsemen Rus 11 century: http://history-of-wars.ru/voen_for/787-pancir-cheshujchatyj-xi-vek.html http://history-of-wars.ru/voen_for/783-shlem-s-barmicej-x-vek.html 
the soldiers of Rus:  http://history-of-wars.ru/voen_for/782-kolchuga-i-plastinchataya-bronya-xxi-veka.html

On the Anglo-Saxons: Cearl-a commoner who could not only be an archer, and swordsman, but the infantryman with a shield. I agree with those of the warrior class, which you did for Anglo-Saxon army, but could you give the class Cearl a shield in one of the cells?

Dennis The Great said:
please Rathos and the team, please give the vikings the longbow.. :smile:

No one used Longbows they were called Warbows - only called Longbows by stupid historians.

Standardized longbows ( and longbowman regiments ) is a 14th century phenomenon; earlier what we refer to as longbows today could be in a variety of shapes ( the early Welsh longbow was for example much shorter than the "English" variant ), and there wasn't a specific type of bow called longbow before the 15-16th century, until then names included "Liveray bow" and "warre bow".

Rath0s said:
Its was called longbow by the english.

Didn't The English just call their version of the welsh bow a longbow? I'm not sure but didn't the English have a even bigger version?

I really don't know what I'm talking about . :/

I suggest removing helmets from berserkers until, or if, they get some bear of wolf pelt ones. To me they look cartoonish with helmets on and a berserker wanting to show his courage by fighting bare-chested but still wearing a helmet is a bit silly.

And then there's the question of the Valsgarde helmet.
It's very beautiful and Vikings might very well have worn something similar as it isn't very different from the Gjermundbu helmet and it's likely that mail curtains to protect the face were still used in the Viking Age. But it is still a famous Vendel Period helmet ( and very distinctly so ) and are as such many centuries too old.
Perhaps it would be better to make new versions of the Gjermundbu with a mail curtain like the one on the Valsgarde and a version with cheek plates like, according to some sagas, Vikings also used.

Here is an example of cheek plates from Hurstwic : http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_helmets.htm

The Norman infantry should probably also have helmets with full face protection made more expensive ( or completely removed ) so that nasal helmets will be attributed to this troop type more as the early great helmets are more a cavalry helmet - and even one first used about a century from mod start ( so if there is a consensus to keep them they should probably also be very expensive, and thus rare, even for mounted troops ). All comtemporary artwork, be it illustrations or figurines, show Normans with nasal ( and some round ) helmets almost exclusively in this period.

Yes, you mentioned that and it isn't a bad idea, such a helmet could have been an heirloom passed down through the generations.

I think I will remove the facemask helmets from the infantry and make it only available for the cavalry, also removing that Italo-norman helmet, it has nothing to do up in northern france.

Skandinav said:
The Norman infantry should probably also have helmets with full face protection made more expensive ( or completely removed ) so that nasal helmets will be attributed to this troop type more as the early great helmets are more a cavalry helmet - and even one first used about a century from mod start ( so if there is a consensus to keep them they should probably also be very expensive, and thus rare, even for mounted troops ). All comtemporary artwork, be it illustrations or figurines, show Normans with nasal ( and some round ) helmets almost exclusively in this period.

He is right, early great helmets have nothing to do in the XI century, Normans mainly worn nasal helmets at that time, this is for cavalry men and infantry aswell. Although would be great a bigger variety of shields and painted helmets for the normans .

see pic bellow, Norman cavalry - XI century :
pa060008y.jpg

wildhorse said:
Skandinav said:

He is right, early great helmets have nothing to do in the XI century, Normans mainly worn nasal helmets at that time, this is for cavalry men and infantry aswell. Although would be great a bigger variety of shields and painted helmets for the normans .

see pic bellow, Norman cavalry - XI century :
pa060008y.jpg
Indeed it is so that Normans wore nasal helmets. A very good look of there armour and helmets can be found in the Bayeux tapestry, which is always very helpfull

Rath0s said:
Only top qulity items range out of 11th century.
Sure, but they make the difference in a mod which pretends to be historically accurate.

Anyway, You've done a great job with "vikingr", keep it up! make it better.

I think there has to be care given to fun as well.
I like those helmets and I hope they'll stay there. They define the Normans in the mod. A part of fun should be kept, it's a game after all.
This so called "realistically" trend, might destroy the mod if used unwise.

I think Berserkers shouldn't get the naked armour. I read somewhere that they didn't actually fight naked, They just wore fur and hides.

Back
Top Bottom