[Suggestion] Increase shield difficulty

Users who are viewing this thread

Urist

Master Knight
I suggest to give shields a difficulty rating and then set the shield skill for berserker and archers to 0, so they can't pick 'em up on the battlefield. Works for cRPG.

Eh, does that really make sense? Say I'm an archer or berserker, I'm the last survivor on my team and three enemies are coming towards me. Isn't it kind of dumb if I'm physically unable to pick up any of the shields that are lying all over the place?

The problem is the game balance. A berserker gets a power boost from picking up a shield and it denies the very nature of those lunatics.

Denying berserkers shields would not make them more historical--like, check this IX century poem:
  " I'll ask of the berserks, you tasters of blood,
    Those intrepid heroes, how are they treated,
    Those who wade out into battle?
    Wolf-skinned they are called. In battle
    They bear bloody shields.
    Red with blood are their spears when they come to fight.
    They form a closed group.
    The prince in his wisdom puts trust in such men
    Who hack through enemy shields."
There are also other non poetic examples of berserkers using shields, only now in modern culture it became something of a trope that they were not using shields and only hacked enemies with great axes.
As of game balance they usually have to kill someone to get shield, unless teammate sacrifice 1 eqipement slot and get it for them, I don't think it's very urgent matter to rebalance berserks, there are worse problems right now(archery i. e.)

Also, any shield they pick up will automatically delete the item that resides in that slot. Archers have the biggest problem, given that the shield slot shares the same value as the bows.  :smile:

We'll have a think about it though, Urist,

Yeah, just have to remember to drop the shield before the round ends. Provided you survive, that is.

Back
Top Bottom