Beginner guide and others Guides/Strategy/gameplay

Users who are viewing this thread

I have at least 1 companion in my party, but the slider does not show anything. Looks like a possible bug.

Can someone tell me where to find a longbow? I have saxon archers who use them, but I'm not able to find one at the market place... Are they even more rare than two handed swords or not buyable?

Formations underwent a major internal development in BW 1.34. In a long overdue adaptation to the first release of Warband, the player can now apply formations to divisions 4-9. However, the system also supports the ability of the player in Warband to compose the first three divisions as arbitrary types, so no longer makes any assumption about the type of those divisions. Admittedly, it DOES take some getting used to...

Any time in-game that you have a formation form or "Hold," it will set up near the position that the player had when the command was issued: infantry to the left, cavalry to the right, and archers up front. Additional infantry divisions set up further left, additional cavalry further right, and additional ranged further forward. So, for example, if you would like TWO ranged divisions and want the one with thrown weapons further forward, make sure the archers are in Division 3 and the skirmishers in a Division 4-9.

Troop divisions that for whatever reason are NOT in formation will attempt to integrate with the other divisions in the "Hold" position. Divisions rotate to face the enemy UNLESS they are following the player.

There are no assumptions about division type. The system types them as the following:

- majority HEROES: majority skilled, Support; otherwise Bodyguard

- majority HORSES: majority with bows, Mounted Archers; otherwise regular Cavalry

- majority RANGED: with thrown weapon, Skirmishers; otherwise regular Ranged

- none of the above: with polearms, Polearms; otherwise regular Infantry

You have to bear this typing scheme in mind when composing divisions; otherwise your Infantry division may suddenly become some sort of Ranged. Also be aware that Brytenwalds autoequips troops with thrown weapons at the start of battle, thereby making Skirmishers or Ranged out of all Infantry.

Hero-type divisions and more notably Skirmishers make infantry-type formations. Skirmishers will revert to type Infantry (and position on "Hold" to the players LEFT instead of FORWARD) when they use up their ammunition.

Whenever a unit first forms a particular formation, troops spread out for ease of forming up. They also change weapons as befitting their new formation positions.

Player troops start every battle in formation.

F4 brings up the formations menu.

The "ranks" command for archers puts them in a staggered line.

Cavalry will not make any formation other than the wedge.

Charge (and Dismount for cavalry) will undo a formation. The player may Advance multiple times to have a formation move toward the average position of the enemy. Or use the order panel or hold-F1 to place them (or sweep them across the enemy for the cavalry wedge).

.. But in Brytenwalda, nearly every troop has a ranged weapon. So that means that nearly every troop will be declared a ranged unit and thus mess up the infantry group?

Yeah, I'd hoped that the skirmisher conversion to infantry would work, but players are finding it too confusing. I think I'm going to fall back to the idea of hard-coding the type for the first three divisions.

It's a good system, but doesn't really handle hybrids well. Would it be possible to hardcode some units what type they are? For ex: Hearthweru are H. Inf, but with a couple of javelins.

I'm sure that in a mod set in 1400AD England, it would work perfectly as all troop types would be very distinct, eg., Longbowmen(mis), Knights(cav), Men-at-arms(inf), ..

I ask here, because there isn't a separate support thread, and I don't want to make a new thread for it.

Cause of my stupidity, I started a campaign of Brytenwalda 1.34 on WB 1.134 and now would want to play on 1.143 like it should be - will my savegame work good or me game will be broken?

HUtH said:
I ask here, because there isn't a separate support thread, and I don't want to make a new thread for it.

Cause of my stupidity, I started a campaign of Brytenwalda 1.34 on WB 1.134 and now would want to play on 1.143 like it should be - will my savegame work good or me game will be broken?

No, it should run

KnightOfVaegir said:
Uh... How do i order troop to volley fire or skirmish

You should read notes menu in game

key F6 - Skirmish order (your troops avoid enemy, moving away when enemy approaches),^\
key F9 - Order beginning or ending volley fire for archers,^\

Idibil said:
HUtH said:

No, it should run
Thanks for answer :smile:

And I have another question. What exactly means this(bold):
21-. -Monasteries:
.Built ingame by the player
.Monasteries add prosperity (weekly) to village (more income for player)
.Learning to read - to read books the player must learn to read first
.If you have a ship, you can attack monasteries by coastal.
.You can trade with it, it shall have a wide selection of goods and cattles.
.Conversion (do player crhistian)
.You can make donations and praying, to raise your reputation and honor, your faith.
.You can recruit men among the servants of the monastery.
.A pagan lord can raid
.Player can be monk (visit scene) (Christian player)
.Player can rest here (Christian player)
It's literally being a monk or just getting some clothes or something? Greedy abbot only wants money from me, no other dialog option is available

Have more fun with that monks life.. start out doing that, recruit some folks in the monastery to go preach to a gang of pirates.. lose the fight.. convert to pagan, then return and loot that monastery.

Is there any way to turn off bleeding for the player? Annoying to get injured early on in a massive siege, bleed out and wind up having to watch for 20+ minutes.

Is there a way to turn off companion interactions in the new version?

Yes, I'm aware that it makes things slightly easier. But it's also more interesting than hordes of nameless/faceless troops.

DungeonK said:
Is there any way to turn off bleeding for the player? Annoying to get injured early on in a massive siege, bleed out and wind up having to watch for 20+ minutes.

We will add this for next patch

Calantyr said:
Is there a way to turn off companion interactions in the new version?

Yes, I'm aware that it makes things slightly easier. But it's also more interesting than hordes of nameless/faceless troops.

Maybe this can help you:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,130145.msg3136601.html#msg3136601

Hello everyone, I currently playing version 1.35 of brytenwalda mod and with M&B Latest patch (1.143), I have one question, though.
It happen when I hiring a mercenary, then ask them to follow me I was on day 132 or so, and I want to take out a lord, I bring about 150 moderate (tier>=3) troops, while my hired mercenary, tailing me brings about 100 cheap (tier 1 or 2) troops(I command them to follow me). But as I approach a Lord, and fight him, the mercenaries not join battle with me... and I face obliteration and have to reload >.<. Well same things happen to siege though...

Im sorry for my 'noob'ness. And by the way, its a good mod!! Awesome

Back
Top Bottom