Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 508777 times)

Turanien

Re: Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 03:58:55 PM »
Yes! I know your name from beta and I hold you in very high respect.  :)

That last part was just a generalisation, not aimed at you. We will look at the dane-axe for you.  :D

Maximo_khan

• Knight
  • Vae Victo
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • MP nick: Maximo_Khagan
  • WB
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
 :mrgreen: ty very much  then :mrgreen:
Proud Khergit infantry since 2008.

trueten

• Language Moderator
  • Master of Statistics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • WBVC
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »
Must be suggested before or you are already going to change that but - could you change the shields for the Rus faction? They almost didn't use round shields, mostly kite shields. At least the one's vaegirs use in Native would look good enough.

And another minor suggestion: make a SP version! :)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:23:49 AM by trueten »

Turanien

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »
Must be suggested before or you are already going to change that but - could change the shields for the Rus faction? They almost didn't use round shields, mostly kite shields. At least the one's vaegirs use in Native would look good enough.

And another minor suggestion: make a SP version!:)
(click to show/hide)

Will be done! They are place-holders for the moment.

STARik

• Sergeant Knight
    • Steam - smoils
    • YouTube - zhuliks
    • YouTube - UCj9sHP-QjoRrHigoQkU9pqA
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: Poor Smiley, Smiley
  • WBVC
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »
Round shield thickness looks silly, they should have been carbon fiber shields to be so thin. Surely they used as thin wood as possible to maje them less heavy but still reliable, but added a skin layer and iron frame around wouldn't leave edges of the shield so silly thin.
I heard you plan to leave jumpslashes only for berserkes, which is good, making them unique 1337 warriors, what I suggest is making them more unique, for example woman char has only screem as taunt, why not to give man's screem taunt only to berserkers so that in bushy/foggy/nighty maps it will be recognisable and cause fear among enemies knowing that berserks are coming, plus archer's distracting possibilities.

(click to show/hide)

Turanien

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 07:32:19 PM »
Shield thickness will be addressed, don't worry.

As for the jump-slash, we cannot make it applicable to just one class. So, as it stands, jump-slashing will not make another return to the mod.  :o

STARik

• Sergeant Knight
    • Steam - smoils
    • YouTube - zhuliks
    • YouTube - UCj9sHP-QjoRrHigoQkU9pqA
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Poor Smiley, Smiley
  • WBVC
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
Talking about thickness, those 2h axes could have thicker grips, no way that thin wood stick would hold axes swings without becoming too elastic or break. And some weapon speed rebalance, I mean spears are same or even less speed that huge heavy axes.

Angantyr

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Warcry: CORA!
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Angantyr
  • M&BWB
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 08:53:25 PM »
I heard you plan to leave jumpslashes only for berserkes
That was just Techno, Spesh and me joking, we didn't think anyone would take it seriously, but sorry for the confusion.

@Trueten, although kite shields were dominant in the Middle-Ages round shields were - to my best knowledge - more prevalent among the Rus in the Viking Age.
“Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Boðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]

Sahran

• Grandmaster Knight
  • B-E-N-D-E-R! BEEEENNNDER! B-E-N-D-E-R!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »
It would be nice if the cheapest spear was given for free, considering the basic kit of any self-respecting dark ages soldier would as far as I know be a spear, shield, and 'sidearm' (seax or axe or whatever). I like using spears but it feels like a waste of money when it's easily mitigated by face-huggers.

Going further with that, it would be nice to have shield-bashing be a possible attack. And for spears to get a boost in either speed or damage, or if the Vikings/Saxons fought with spears held overhand as well as underhand, maybe giving spears the ability to thrust 'low' (the regular spear strike) and thrust 'high' (give them the 1h stab animation)? Or if you have animators, look into what Lynores is doing with TPW and have it be possible to thrust the spear with the shield held more protectively in front of you.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of the helmets are mad expensive, even more expensive than the mid tier leather/soft armor. Some factions suffer from this more than others (The Kievan Rus leap to mind), but I think it'd be nice if you guys 'lowered' the scale of helmet protectiveness and cost. What I mean by that is shift it down a bit so more helmets are available to low to mid class soldiers. That's more about aesthetics than gameplay, since it'd be nice to see the rich variety of helmets ingame more applicable.

Aleczacool

• Master Knight
  • For the craftworld!
    • View Profile
    • My website!
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: Aleczacool
  • M&BWBWF&S
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »
If a spear is given for free; make sure it's an only stabbing weapon. If you make it swingable, everyone will just grab that, and it won't be used as a spear, and instead as a whacking weapon. It will ruin the combat, IMO.

mimdras

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
IT would be nice to see a light lance for horsemen. spears are just odd on horseback. Also the length of most 1h axes are pitiful. Gr8 mod though over all. Also Jump slash plz^^
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:27:22 PM by mimdras »

Turanien

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 10:29:31 PM »
IT would be nice to see a light lance for horsemen. spears are just odd on horseback. Also the length of most 1h axes are pitiful. Gr8 mod though over all. Also Jump slash plz^^

The Norman's primary weapon on horseback was still the spear at this point in history. The Norman spear is currently the longest spear in-game. Axes will be seeing some form of resurgance in the next patch. They, along with spears, were the most common weapon on the battlefield.

Jump-slash? No.  :D

Merlkir

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 10:36:03 PM »
I thought shield thickness was a nice surprise. If you're going to thicken them, don't overdo it!

Turanien

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
I thought shield thickness was a nice surprise. If you're going to thicken them, don't overdo it!

Not at all! They are made to exactly the correct dimensions in real-life. They most certainly won't be thickened to 'Native' standards ( :lol:) ...

Sahran

• Grandmaster Knight
  • B-E-N-D-E-R! BEEEENNNDER! B-E-N-D-E-R!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
If a spear is given for free; make sure it's an only stabbing weapon. If you make it swingable, everyone will just grab that, and it won't be used as a spear, and instead as a whacking weapon. It will ruin the combat, IMO.

That's a good point and not one I'd be against, although I wish there was something that could be done for the ability to just hold down block and automatically block every spear strike.

What would be great would be to somehow categorize the thrust_polearm animation as a 'low' attack (downward), and to maintain thrust_onehanded animation as a 'high' attack (upward, which it currently is). Then somehow make it so the spear can decide between the two.