More death animations!

Users who are viewing this thread

If I hear one more old-wives tale about swords, I'm going to track down the poster and knock him silly with a large cudgel.  No, there is no real suction in wounds.  Muscles don't "clamp down" on the blade, making it difficult to pull out.  The term "blood groove" is a balogna fantasy word, a strictly modern fabrication that completely misleads as to the function of the fuller, as the prior poster stated.  It assigns a false attribute to the fuller based on an incorrect assumption.  If you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it!  Next myth to be debunked is the "bashing through plate armour" one, I'll wager.

Um, to get back on topic again, I think that we could do with some extra death animations. Surprisingly, the single one we have for infantry still works well even after all this time.

But, correct me if i'm wrong, when a character strikes another from behind, the dying soldier still falls onto his/her back? That could maybe do with fixing. Ragdoll is fun but not suited to this game in my opinion.

I like the cliff idea also, it would be pretty useful especially considering how hilly most battlefields are in M&B. Maybe even too useful!

But yeah, a few more animations would be beneficial to the game, i think everyone would agree.

Eh, adding a ragdoll physics engine, even a basic one, would fix all your death animation problems (Lugaru did it >_>)

..Only if he was to use the havok engine or something.

If he developed his own (It can't be impossible, or stupidenously difficult, I've seen it done before several times in games that just a small team are doing.) it should be all good.

Ragdolls really kill immersion, since they are always ridiculously unrealistic.  Even having a single animation that is realistic is much better, but nothing can beat a few good animations.

I think radgolls are actually needed, but not anything like in most games.  Most of the fall from standing to lying on the ground should be scripted, but once the falling body makes contact with a solid object, such as a wall, rock, or the ground, ragdoll would take over so that we don't get things like plank-straight bodies sticking out on the sides of hills or off the ramparts, or "wicked witch" deaths where they fall into a building and only their feet remain.  It would also solve the problem with dead bodies of men and horses being "pinned" up on the wall.

i suggest a ragdoll system, seing as that would eliminate this whole mess. no more frames, no more repetitive deaths, its time to get into the future...
shurely its not THAT hard to implement?

Please no ragdoll. It was good when it was a novelty, but seeing as it's been out for several years now and no one has managed to do it in a way that doesn't look ridiculous I'd say it isn't worth the bother. I was playing CoD 2 recently and it really made it obvious how much better animations are than ragdoll. People don't take 5 hits with little more than a flinch then fly 20 metres through the air on the 6th, which is what happens with every ragdoll game I've ever seen.

Eogan's solution (animations until the body is in the prone position, then ragdolls to make sure that it conforms to the terrain) might work, but it seems that it would a be a lot of trouble for a little improvement.  Also, they would have to be very high quality ragdolls to be believable; the Doom 3 engine does them fairly well, but all other games I've seen with ragdolls treat bodies like rubber.

yeah i agree on that! they should move a little bit more like oblivion on terms of falling distance but they should have restrictions so that their head just dont bob backwards or their arms get stretched backwards in an wierd way

I agree because frankly im tired of people dying the same way. Freedom Fighters has good animation for dying because they fall according to wich way they were hit. In M&b u hit them in the foot with an arrow they fall back. You lance them in the back. They fall back, that dude should have whent flying forwrd.

I heard somewhere that Halo 2 makes use of both, there's a rendered animation, but ragdoll whilst the corpse lands. The animation stops the corpse from clipping into the scenery.

Naridill said:
heavens_hitman said:
I agree because frankly im tired of people dying the same way. Freedom Fighters has good animation for dying because they fall according to wich way they were hit. In M&b u hit them in the foot with an arrow they fall back. You lance them in the back. They fall back, that dude should have whent flying forwrd.

Flying forwards? Hell no. The impact of the spear tip would be so powerful, it'd pass right through him. A blunt stick would've pushed him forwards, and a spear would a little bit, but not flying.

Very true but still he wouldnt just fall back If you hit him in the back of the head with a rock

I can't believe I have not put in my word, yet!  I have been speaking of those for countless posts!  Death animations are a high for me, before anything else.  I am sick of killing someone from behind and they fall towards me.  Or from a side swing. 

i have a perty darn leet computer =P but i would prefer haveing 1000 angery chargeing knights at me over haveing 500 and haveing realy cool death animations....maby its just me because i seem to have a wild imagination of my opponets talking to me as they die and my allys havieng personalitys...(all of witch i keep in my head) but with 500 more people on the field i could make that many more personalitys =P

Man, you really need to work or your grammar, spelling and punctuation and I know this is not the first time you have been told to do so.

Back
Top Bottom