More death animations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Hotshot96

Recruit
Basically a bit more variety.  If they get shot in the face, either collapse, or shriek and clutch at their face.

Arrows in the leg = limping?  That'd be interesting too.  But if you kill them with an arrow in the leg, they should clutch their leg, and slowly collapse.

If you ram them with your horse and they die, they should go flying. (Ragdoll is much needed in this game)

Sword to the face on a charging horse ---->  Stand still for a sec, stumble the knees, then fall facefirst to the ground (if they have a face still =p)

Some spinning deaths if they get slashed/lanced in the chest or arms.

Ragdoll would be best, but a few death animations added in would be kickass as well, perhaps interrupted into ragdoll if another attack hits.

For example, slash someone in the chest, they stumble backwards, dropping their sword and clutching the grevious wound, then someone mounted on a horse rides by and shoots him in the face.  Instead of following through with the death animation of falling backwards and maybe convulsing on the ground, they would simply go into ragdoll, and the arrow in the face would launch them onto their back, instantly dead.  :grin:

I know, it's complex, most likely very very very hard to code.

But it would improve an already great game by 100%.  Honestly, I'd be twice as infatuated with M&B if this were implemented.  :wink:

Or just some three to five more general death animations. Nothing really fancy, like specific animations for how they got slashed, ragdoll or anything. Just some more animations on a general basis. For example;

Anim. 1: The one origninally in the game.

Anim. 2: Falls down on both knees, then tip forwards, (Classic).

Anim. 3: Swirls around once, landing on the stomach.

Etc.

When a character dies, one animation would be selected at random. This way, we could also finaly get some variation on the poses of the corpses on the battlefield, and you wouldn't see the same, old (Not very natural) animation each time you slashed someone in the face.

I once edited the death animation to include a spinning around motion. It was basically the same animation, except that the body spun around and landed on it's face.

It got excessive after a while having that happen all the time, but I could definitely see some more kinetic/dramatic animations thrown in along with the original one. Unless they can be connected to the force of impact of a weapon or horse, the more dramatic ones could just be a little more rare.

All you need is two basic animations and two more violent ones. I think that would be enough. There's already variation in the horseback death animations, I think.

Maybe. But the horse dies in different ways. :grin:

At least the game files contain several of them.

being knocked down seems related to impact force, so i dont know, but it seems possible to connect interesting ways to die too

since i jost got headshot and dragged halfway the map by my horse, I definately think there are enough ways to die on a horse  :sad:

but some variation in how the enemy falls is more interesting, though, in my opinion, not too important

A few more animations would be great. Maybe a different animation depending on where/what the deathblow was. Eg: If the blow that killed 'em was a lunge into the torso, they could grab there stomach and fall over.

InferiorBeing said:
Actually, I think the current horseback death animation is the the same one they used for infantry.
no i dont think so.cavalry fall animation is not as hard as infantry's. because rider can fall to diffrent sides,and it looks different,as not infantry does.

phbbbt107 said:
The Pope said:
Kicking someone off the sword after you've gutted them would be cool.
Not if his buddy goes behind you and stabs you in the back.
it would be cool...this provides more enjoy to the game i think,'cause you curse the bastard who does that,at that time :razz:

Ragdoll would be awsome for the death animations, but before death animations are needed too. With one hitpoint you should be moaning on the ground not sprinting fighting energetically.

Yeah, you're right. It seems that when a guy falls off his horse, he kinda reels sideways, unlike the unmounted ones who just flip backwards.  Also, a horseman dies with his legs more spread, as they're wrapped around the horse. However, I dare to assume that he does land in the same pose as infantry, and so his corpse is in the same pose. :???:

Also, the fact that your corpse gets dragged after the horse doesn't actually count as a separate death animation, does it? Your corpse will fall off the horse in the same way regardless if the horse is on the run; and while the horse is running, you just lie there, even while actually pulled after the horse,the corpse is still stiff as a board.

How about some falling please?
I mean falling from cliffs.
Or pushing enemies over and into chasms?
There have been many times where I see an enemy archer on the sheer side of a cliff and I kill him, expecting him to tumble down but he just lays back to sleep.

Or sometimes I charge (with my spirited charger) on someone standing right at the edge and he just falls a bit down the side. It's a 75 degree slope. Gravity should pull you down you bastard!
I want him to fall to HIS DEATH PLEASE!
Because you know. My horse dies when I jump of a cliff. But enemies don't!

The enemies should die too you know.

The Pope said:
Kicking someone off the sword after you've gutted them would be cool.

I'll admit the effect looks impressive in Dark Messiah, although it gets old after a while.  Most exotic animations do.  But the real problem is that kicking someone off of your sword is downright unrealistic; in reality, a sword goes out as easily as it goes in.  The whole "difficult to pull back out" thing is a myth.  As a matter of fact, most of the crap suggested in this thread is downright unrealistic.  Ragdolls are, too.  I think that the current animations are just fine, although it wouldn't hurt to throw in two or three more similar ones.  To whoever said that the current position of bodies looks unnatural, I will tell you that the slain on a battlefield will never look natural.  Death leaves no dignity.  Only in movies do dying men fall gracefully into a noble pose.

A sword does not come out as easily as it went in. There is such a thing as suction. Why do you think there are blood grooves on swords? It's to make it easier to pull it out once it's in.

Lanky said:
A sword does not come out as easily as it went in. There is such a thing as suction. Why do you think there are blood grooves on swords? It's to make it easier to pull it out once it's in.
Thats half right, actually.  A sword is harder to pull out than stab in, which is why people twist the blade.  However, what you call blood grooves are actually called fullers, and are used to lighten and/or balance the blade.

Back
Top Bottom