"Battlefield Objects"

Users who are viewing this thread

(:) Dvd (:)

Regular
Alright, the general idea is randomly placed battlefield objects that can be activated and used by both the player and AI. Mostly these objects would allow cover & ambushing. They would be place randomly on the battlefield, like trees & boulders although with some thought. Using them would simply be walking up and pressing the Action key, F by default.

Log:
A horizontal log across the landscape. The AI archers will use it as cover. They will walk up, activate it, crouch down, and start shooting. It can be used on the Left & Right sides. >< |

Boulder:
A boulder on the landscape. The AI archers will use it as cover. They will walk up, activate it, crouch down, and start shooting. It can be used on the Left, Up, Right, & Downsides. >^v< o

Tree Stump:
A tree stump on the landscape. The AI archers will use it as cover. They will walk up, activate it, crouch down, and start shooting. It can be used on the Left, Up, Right, & Downsides. >^v< o

Hollowed Tree:
A hollowed out tree on the landscape. The AI infantry will use it as an ambush position. They will walk up, activate it, hide inside, and wait. It can be used Left. > ]

Ect... Just some battlefield defenses. Like turrets in other games. You run up, activate them, and are placed in a fixed position. Some objects can be used multiple ways, like the left or right side of a boulder.

-Dvd

Good idea! Why not let us barricade areas or set traps as well? Like I roll non-fixed logs downhill to the enemies to cause massive damage. Or spiked barricades that damage horses that crash in too fast?

Yes, yes. Footmen should have pikes as a second weapon and form a phalanx kind of formation when enemy horsemen are approaching, like they did in Braveheart.

Alejandro said:
Yes, yes. Footmen should have pikes as a second weapon and form a phalanx kind of formation when enemy horsemen are approaching, like they did in Braveheart.

First of all, I often compare the historical and realistic value of Braveheart with a steaming pile of dog ****e.

Second of all, that was a Schiltron, not a phalanx.

Phalanx.
greek-phalanx.jpg

Schiltrom (sorry, no other good pictures)
Schiltron.JPG

Calling a Phalanx a Schiltrom is like calling a Halberd a Pike.

Knowing medieval is a must to talk here. (That's why I try to avoid it and talk about 'political and tactics' instead)

But hey, I just noticed about 'archers crouching down' thing in the topic! Isn't that make it even harder to control the bow? (Useful for taking cover but not if you're firing!)

Thanks a lot AA, I now know that sticking shields up in formation is called Schiltron :smile: (I always called it 'Shield Walls', and all I know about formations are sticking up the lines, circling and phalanx.)

Alejandro said:
I hang around here just because I like the game :roll:
Don't take ArabArcher's reply as an attack.  You used an inaccurate term and his OCD compelled him to correct it.  Now you know something you didn't before- two things that you didn't know before if you weren't aware that Braveheart is a giant load of rhinoceros dung in its historical accuracy.

Besides, I'd argue that "phalanx kind of formation" is a perfectly fine way for a layman to describe a Schiltron.

As to your suggestion, in the mod I made, I added a Swadian Pikeman unit to mirror the Swasian Sergeant, so you could control whether your troops had poles or single-handed weapons, and I'd like to see such additions added to the regular game.  I did the same for Swadian Knights (so they could have lances or swords) and gave the Vaegir the option of raising mounted archers (at a "squire" level and knight level).

Back on the original topic, not only should stumps and logs in various states of decay be added, but there should be TRUE forests where the foliage is MUCH higher and the trees are MUCH thicker.  Also, moving through a bush or shrub should slow you down a lot, even more than a river does.

Lastly, the ASCII... things you put at the end of each line are illegible to me.  Do they mean anything?

Alejandro said:
I hang around here just because I like the game :roll:
Well, that was a normal response from AA if you are 'wrong in facts'.

Anyhow, good idea again. I'd like to suggest about rolling logs though, press F on the log and push it downhills (cause even more damage than horse-charging!!). (Good strength required, or use many people. Can only be used on logs that aren't stuck to the ground.) I don't know if it fits in medieval style, but I think it's tactical and realistic.

Eogan said:
Besides, I'd argue that "phalanx kind of formation" is a perfectly fine way for a layman to describe a Schiltron.

AFAIK (who uses the long-title here? so don't compell me to!) it's called schiltrom (M!), at least in my language. long weapons like spears would be on the outside of the formation, inside, there would be other kind of troops including archers. all are very close stuck together. They could stand up to some cavalry charge but as soon as the outer rim is broken or they take prolonged arrow fire they're ****ed.

Is that how YOU would define a "schiltrom formation"?

Not everybody is a historian and knows everything about formations, tactics, etc. I didin't say they formed a phalanx, I said they made a 'phalanx like' formation. In in other words, 'something that is at least remotely similar to a phalanx', which a schiltron basicly is (?), I believe. An average person like me might mix up those two easily and I apologize if I disturbed someone with that. I'm aware of the fact, that Braveheart is a piece of **** movie and I don't like it at all and when I bring up something from it doesn't mean that I do like it.

Back
Top Bottom