Crusader Kings 2

Users who are viewing this thread

In Lux Invicta I had a guy who died at age 114, of course using ruler designer, but he managed to outlive some of his great-grandchildren

MadocComadrin said:
IIRC, it wasn't so much that you died young (although the maximum expected age was  somewhat lower), it was that a crapton of people died before puberty, and a crapton of women died during childbirth, which dragged down the average expected age a lot. Generally, if you lived past puberty, you were good for another 30-50 years.
Saying that.
During an England play-through, William was maimed in his first sortie became incapable at 60 so I thought 'Good I have a genius grandchild, time to just kill everybody'.
5 Civil wars later he died at 97.
He out lived all his sons, all his grand children and left the kingdom to a 4 year old imbecile.

A decade later, Scotland formed the Empire in it's most complete form.
**** you game, **** you.

Protip : When your ruler is already very old, and your sons are becoming old themselves and have children already coming of age, assassinate your own son. Chances are they won't live as long as you so you would just get 2 possible succession wars in a short timeframe and have to endure short reign penalties for a long continued time.

That's the problem
I killed everybody that didn't already have a title but the grandson.
Meaning that there was very little genetic stock to shore up the dynasty in a time of crisis.

I was so sure that a maimed incapable sack of crap would die, I cut off my nose to spite my face.

Harkon Haakonson said:
I had 2 long lived good kings; 73 and 68. After that they started dropping like flies early on.  28, 32, 27... Hope this 22 year old 19 stewardship chap lasts.
I consider any death by "natural causes" for people under 35 (who aren't weak, maimed, wounded, etc) grounds for a re-load. If they die in combat, or from any of the diseases (including general illness) that's fine, but "natural causes" at 25 is just ridiculous.

@Kobrag: I always try to get a foreign branch of my family at least a duchy in some distant realm so I have something to fall back on if I lose my titles or my main branch runs out. Picking up as some semi-random Polish duke with a claim on my old titles is better than a game-over.

I only find the need to kill off many sons during gavelkind for the norse. Besides that there isn't any problem. There's the tech that reduces short reign years(and increases demensce size) that I concentrate on. Battle deaths are very random(lol paradox) so you should never send your ruler to battle(unless you don't mind dying). I had my ruler in the army that was chasing down a defeated enemy around the map to finish it off- head wound to incapable coma. The odds don't really make sense so just don't stick your ruler in battle.

"Natural causes" probably includes slipping in the shower and falling down the stairs, dying in ways that don't involve foul play.

After three uneventful rulers, Simon I ascended to the head of the von Bergenz Dynasty, at the age of 28. He has been my most interesting character that I can remember. Scholarly and temperate, yet cruel and deceitful, I try to play my characters based off their traits as much as possible.

Previous events discussed earlier had caused the Duchy of Tyrol to become a vassal of Francia, but I was able to achieve independence without bloodshed when Emperor Carlomann (my uncle) agreed to avoid a civil war between France and Italy. Finally independent, I was able to conquer land from the heathen Pommeranian tribes. I formed the Duchy of Brandenburg, fought off a couple of revolts, killed the son of the rebellious Count of Luneburg which labeled me a kinslayer (I was later pardoned), and became known as Duke Simon the Cruel. I also had a couple of sons. I should have realized that it was a mistake to marry my Aunt (and the Emperor's sister), because my eldest son Karl turned out to be a major disappointment. A misguided warrior, I felt he would be unable to keep the two half's of my realm together. After sending him into battle on numerous occasions when he was clearly outmatched, I finally decided that enough was enough, and hired assassin's to end his life. With the deed done and my son dead, I forced his wife (the daughter of my Uncle Carlomann) to remarry a distant relative (Duke Siegmund II of Brunswick, he comes into the story later).

My other son Michael was the spitting image of his father. A scholarly theologian, he was the man I wanted ruling the realm. I awarded him with two counties and he managed to take one more by himself! Truly, he was the man that would be destined to rule after me. He ended up married to his brother's wife sister, and all was right in the world.

Time passed and my ruler grew old. I fought a war over Salzburg against King Udo II of Bavaria (my nephew) and won, and I amassed large reserves of gold. Unfortunately, Udo's supporters won a war against the Queen of Germany. Realizing that he would be eager to take back Salzburg, I swore fealty, losing my independence, but securing the safety of my realm.

That's when my descent into tyranny truly began. Michael would make a fine leader, but he was reaching 37 years old and without an heir. His wife was nearing thirty five. I like to think that I had no choice. Had I left matters alone, I would be passing the realm off to a distant cousin, or even worse, my first son's only child, an incapable daughter. Fearing that everything I had built would be lost, I took drastic measures. I imprisoned and executed his wife.

I like to think that it was this event which set the current state of affairs in motion. Duke Siegmund II Brunswick declared war over the County of Braunschweig which I controlled, perhaps in an act of revenge against his wife's executed sister. Suddenly, in the war's closing months, the unthinkable happened - Duke Siegmund II of Brunswick called my son into war against me!

After Siegmund sued for peace, I turned my wrath to my traitorous son. My marshall failed to capture him, so I was forced to put him down with force. I knocked down every castle and even managed to capture his second wife. The ***** had the gall to ask for leniency so I locked her up in chains. She died in my dungeons just before the rebellion ended. With my son and heir in chains, I had little choice. The penalty for treason is death. He sealed his fate when he supported a distant cousin over his own father.

Now, at the age of 67, the realm is in a precarious position. During this rebellion, my wife (and aunt) had passed away, and I managed to remarry the Queen of Asturias. Her realm had been losing ground to the moors for a hundred years, but she managed to give me another son before she died at the age of 42. Now he's four, he sits at the throne of Asturias, and one day, God willing, he will rule Tyrol and Brandenburg.

I wish I had thought to take screen shots of this whole event before it became the epic story that it now is, but I got a couple right after my son rebelled. Ultimately, I guess the moral of the story is don't have children with your aunt.

Duke Siegmund II right after the rebellion.

852A0A01A7FCE90E4BFB8B6104E4E576B4049410

I like to think that the execution of my son's first wife sparked this whole chain of events.

B4BFF5EDC5FD7412CB997D15948EACCF0EBB6895

His second wife is captured.

C7BAFB21399B573706FAFC05BAB43035A994971F

The rebellion (I was technically at war with Saxony to support Duke Siegmund, but only because I would take a prestige hit otherwise).

A66BB9D9879F0ED7E052A386FA977CE936784CA2

And now I go back to being a kinslayer.

A93B1B876AF1AB28C00B553E66C0C2373338F3D6

MadocComadrin said:
I consider any death by "natural causes" for people under 35 (who aren't weak, maimed, wounded, etc) grounds for a re-load. If they die in combat, or from any of the diseases (including general illness) that's fine, but "natural causes" at 25 is just ridiculous.

@Kobrag: I always try to get a foreign branch of my family at least a duchy in some distant realm so I have something to fall back on if I lose my titles or my main branch runs out. Picking up as some semi-random Polish duke with a claim on my old titles is better than a game-over.

If i'm not mistaken "natural causes" is what pops up when they were assassinated but you didn't have high enough intrigue to realize that it was an assassination.

It's being updated quite regularly and thoroughly as well, I just decided to give it another go yesterday and my conquest of Westeros as Aegon the First is going excellently.

Started a new game at the standard 1066 start date and managed to create a kingdom in one lifetime by powering through the de jure duchies and fabricating a few claims, but I already changed my succession law once because I didn't think I'd succeed so well, and now that I assumed a higher title my law has reverted to gavelkind, and I'm not allowed to put to a vote again until the King dies and his sons inherit his many titles :mad:

Edit: wow, my first son just died a "natural death" at 22. Saints be praised.

Austupaio said:
It's being updated quite regularly and thoroughly as well, I just decided to give it another go yesterday and my conquest of Westeros as Aegon the First is going excellently.

Aegon's Conquest has some really cool events.

Wait, it isn't updated to the new version yet, is it?

I had two, one somehow Denariyus accepts my invitation to court, and the other the young wolf gets defeated and imprisoned but he doesnt get executed, there should've been an event for that :/

DoctorPainkiller said:
Anyone tried as a Hellenic character yet?

Yes. I have a game going as the Hellenic/Roman Duke of Krete. Problem is you don't start with boats, so after some 50 years of waiting and finally having boats I started systematically attacking the Byzantine Empire whenever it rebelled, 'till I took the Aegean Isles and Cybirrhaeot (spelling). Then the most remarkable thing happened and the good Byzantine Emperor converted to Hellenic...

Back
Top Bottom