Archery and melee improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

jmarques

Recruit
    I love archery, and i'm getting good at it. I noticed something that isn't right: a player with an arrow crossing their body can still walk, slash, jump around. I don't ask for improved damage, i ask for arrows to cripple players:

A shot in the thigh should make the player unable to jump, or only with one leg. When walking, leg with arrow or bolt in it should be much weaker, thus making player limp. Also, if there are two arrows in the leg, the player should fall once in a while when walking, and when fighting, moving around should be much harder.

A shot somewhere else in the leg should have similar effects, but more atenuated.

A shot in the chest should:
        -If it's a shot in the heart, instantly kill. Death animation could change too, to show it was a nice heart-shot (there's headshot, why not heartshot?)
        -If it's a shot in a lung, player should survive for a few seconds (let's say 20 seconds), and then die.

A shot in the throat could let the victim alive for the time it takes to bleed out, progressively losing strength (speed and power).

An arm/hand shot shouldn't completely disable the arm, but rather make it weaker:
        - Player shouldn't be able to raise shield high enough to protect uper-chest and head if shield-arm is hit.
        - When using a one handed weapon, he should only be able to do overheads, using the weapon's weight to make it gain speed instead of using muscle power. Damage should be drastically lowered.
        - An archer should take much longer to arm bow and should only be able to shoot a few (let's say 10) meters away, since he can't stress the bow strongly enough. Damage would be also lowered by loads and shouldn't penetrate low-tier armor (and higher tier of course), thus making the archer's arrows unable to cripple.
        - If the player takes two shots in his arm, weapon goes to left hand and becomes less accurate and slightly slower than if it was being used by a right arm. A third arrow would kill anyways.

A shot in the abdomen should make the player slower when walking since abdominal muscles aren't working as they should.

A shot in the spine should be instant death. Or paralizy, but i don't think anyone wants to be paralized so i guess instant death is better.

But this shouldn't be limited to arrows. Swords and axes have a huge muscle-cutting power, making said muscles unable to function. Same effects should apply, but organ hits should only work if thrusting. Slashes can cut muscles. (Imagine the Great Long War Axe slashing a guy's knee, half the leg would be cut off, but a thrust wouldn't be able to do that).

Also, if a melee weapon cuts the thigh, player should bleed to death in about a minute or so, i'm not a doctor but i know that if you have a artery that is cut in half, then you won't last long without medical support.

I believe there should be a suicide option or a way to heal wounds. Also servers should have the choice wether to enable this or not, since it's like a "hardcore" mode of Warband (much more realistic but less fun for the common-instant-gratification-looking-kid).

Because people don't always go halfways through the page, i'll post my response to "this will make the game lagg" or "this is too ****ing hard to implement".

jmarques said:
KuroiNekouPL said:
jmarques said:
There is no reason why it would make the game lag.
It need more calculations which can make lags or slightly increase requirements :wink:

It's negligible! Face it, it's just 5 or so more objects per player, NOTHING compared to all the walls, buildings, bushes, even the freaking terrain itself, i mean, it's nothing. That's for the 3d part of it, probably the most demanding. Then when there's a collision (if object.x == object2.x to simplify), it's just a little condition that will fit in three lines if they programmed the wounding functions before (which again are nothing compared to making an arrow stick out of the person's body and move when the leg moves). Wounding functions, again, nothing. Only change walking animation to reflect the wound, lower some variables (such as weapon damage, speed), change attacking animation or weapon holding animation, and that's all. It's nothing. Oh and a little timer to make sure the player dies after 30 seconds of bleeding. No lag would occur.

Precise location damage will not make it into warband i'm afraid,  it measures 'head' 'body' and 'legs'  at the moment,  any more and it would likely be too much information to be processed and cause horrible lag.
you could work within those limitations though, for a very simplified version of what you describe.
EDIT:  you should probably use bold to highlight key points, rather than use it on the whole text-  it makes it difficult to read.

EDIT (AGAIN):  since its kinda on topic,  I would like to repost in breif my suggestion for wounds, which would work very well alongside your suggestion:
every weapon would be given a new stat-  lethality -  it would be a percentage scale,  on average blunt weapons would the lowest lethality, with pierce having the most.
weapons would have a slight global reduction in damage,  but would cause bleed damage-  scaling depending on the lethality,  this will- to some extent simulate fighters carrying on with adrenaline before falling to their wounds.
a guy who gets several cutting wounds may be kept going by adrenaline and dispatch his foe, but the 'bleed' damage would kick in, causing him to then fall to his wounds-  wheras a guy hit by a massive hammer will take almost all the damage instantly, rather than through wound damage, and will be less likely to keep fighting before falling.

I really like these ideas, but warband is closer to an arcade game than to realistic medieval warfare simulator.
But anyway, someone who is hurt should at least move slower and deal smaller damage. :smile:

Sounds like an interesting idea, but would probably make people hate archers even more. Ehh, it will give them something to actually complain about though, so I like this idea. But chances are it will have to be simplified a lot more, since as Qwerty said it only tracks the head, body, and legs for damage wise things. Perhaps taking a certain amount of damage to your legs has a script which increases your weight according to the damage, being a work around to making you move slower...

There is no reason why it would make the game lag. If you add a few more conditions, it's neglectible. Also, if there can be legs/body/ head, why not make more cathegories: upper leg/bottom leg/abdomen/chest/neck/head/spine/arm? Sure, it's a pain in the ass to program. But it shouldn't be really that hard to implement, just some more hitboxes. Wouldn't lagg at all.

Warband could become so much more than an arcade game, i just wish it was Open Source. Too bad it isn't... Might become so in some years, maybe, when almost no-one buys it anymore.

I will remove bold, i thought it would look better with it.

KuroiNekouPL said:
jmarques said:
There is no reason why it would make the game lag.
It need more calculations which can make lags or slightly increase requirements :wink:

It's negligible! Face it, it's just 5 or so more objects per player, NOTHING compared to all the walls, buildings, bushes, even the freaking terrain itself, i mean, it's nothing. That's for the 3d part of it, probably the most demanding. Then when there's a collision (if object.x == object2.x to simplify), it's just a little condition that will fit in three lines if they programmed the wounding functions before (which again are nothing compared to making an arrow stick out of the person's body and move when the leg moves). Wounding functions, again, nothing. Only change walking animation to reflect the wound, lower some variables (such as weapon damage, speed), change attacking animation or weapon holding animation, and that's all. It's nothing. Oh and a little timer to make sure the player dies after 30 seconds of bleeding. No lag would occur.

I mean, computers can do millions of calcs a second, it's not a little wounding system that will burn your processor.

rokema said:
Getting shot in the heart would probably be a lucky kill, rather change it to a shot in the ****, make you bleed out.

That's true too, a shot in the **** would result in a fast bleed if victim has an ereccion. Otherwise, i don't think it will do much more than discourage the guy lol.

jmarques said:
rokema said:
Getting shot in the heart would probably be a lucky kill, rather change it to a shot in the ****, make you bleed out.

That's true too, a shot in the **** would result in a fast bleed if victim has an ereccion. Otherwise, i don't think it will do much more than discourage the guy lol.

Moral critical damage!

rokema said:
jmarques said:
rokema said:

Moral critical damage!

Lol, i was wondering what movie you got your signature .gif from?

jmarques said:
rokema said:
jmarques said:
rokema said:

Moral critical damage!

The name of the file in the sig is "kopps.gif", so just put "kopps" in Wikipedia, and you'll find the answer.

someboddy said:
jmarques said:
rokema said:
jmarques said:
rokema said:

Moral critical damage!

The name of the file in the sig is "kopps.gif", so just put "kopps" in Wikipedia, and you'll find the answer.

When i saw the filename i thought it was just random letters. Well thanks.

ce56dd91_in_before_lock.gif

Targir said:
hahaha I agreed,  this is a little bit too much to ask. Wait for Mount & Blade 5 the platinum edition and u might see this feature. LOL , this is crazy

Why? Let me guess. You read the first post about lag, because he seemed to know what he was talking about you believe, and then you posted right away?

Back
Top Bottom