SP Dark Ages Mount & Blade Vikings Overhaul

Users who are viewing this thread

Raptor_a22

Recruit
I am currently working on a Viking Overhaul mod for M&B v1.11
Let me know if anyone of you guys wants something extra added in, as it is nearly completed.

Viking Troop Tree

Nord Scout (c)
                                          /
            Nord Huntsman (R) - Nord Tracker (R)                            Nord Axethrower (R)
            /                                                                                      /
Nord Recruit                                                  Nord Skirmisher (r)
                    \                                                /                              \
                    Nord Raider (r) - Nord Footman                                Nord Archer (R) - Viking Veteran Archer (R)
                /                                                    \
Sea Raider                                                      Nord Trained Footman - Nord Skirl (r) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Nord Jarl (c)
                                                                                                          \                                                      /
Townswoman - Nord Valkyrie (r)                                                          Nord Warrior (r) - Nord Veteran (r) - Nord Huskarl (R)
                                                                                                                                    \
                                                                                                                                      Nord Bezerker (R)
Key: R - Ranged, r - Chance of ranged, c - Chance of cavalry

The new tree features 8 new units.
Scout - Easily trained Nord Cavalry. Weak, but increases your map speed.
Tracker - Useful but weak unit that has the pathfinding, spotting and tracking skills. (Known bug: Tracking will only work about 50% of the time.)
Raider - Standard infantry, but sometimes has javelins. Marked improvement over the recruit.
Skirmisher - Versatile infantry. Decent in melee but can also have a bow or thrown weapons.
Axethrower - They throw axes... 'nuff said.
Skirl - A Viking ship Captain. Slightly better than the Warrior but more expensive. Allows you to skip over some training.
Jarl - Only guaranteed cavalry in the game. Jarls own land, as well as being the captain of a ship.
Bezerker - Dont go up againt one of these guys by yourself. Highest damage of all Nord troops.
Valkyrie - Okay, I admit it, I AM going into myth here. Extremely powerful unit that can ony be trained from peasant women.

Also, all of the lower rank Nord troops will only have axes, as the sword was considered an officer's weapon. Unintentionally turned any small scale infantry battles into total massacres.

Now has a file on the M&B Unofficial Repository! http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2101

Nord Jarl should not be a unit, a Jarl is what he is in the game a man who owns a castle, army and land.

Vikings usually had Spear, Axe or a Sword with a shield and then Archers units. They weren't much for two handed wielders.

King = Kung
Chancellor = Jarl
Marshal = Marsk
Nobles = Svenne in Sweden
bourgers = Borgare
free peasants = allmoge
owned peasants = bryte
slave = Träl

and the vikings had mounted warriors to! forefathers of the Normans

:neutral: He can use those words *exactly*  how he wants to, you know. If you'd have any beef with it not being historical then your only beef would have to be with the Axe-throwing unit. :razz: Anyway, sounds quite nice, though I think most people will go for the Skirl route instead of the Huskarl-one.

King = Kung
Earl = Jarl
Marque = Marsk
Nobles = Svenne in Sweden
bourgers = Borgare
free peasants = allmoge
owned peasants = bryte
slave = Träl

Fixed.

He can use those words *exactly*  how he wants to, you know. If you'd have any beef with it not being historical then your only beef would have to be with the Axe-throwing unit.  Anyway, sounds quite nice, though I think most people will go for the Skirl route instead of the Huskarl-one.

He could, afterall:
"Exact? This is CALRADIA!" *kicks Frisian dude off fjord* :grin:

This mod is interesting, but maybe you could make all the factions Viking style.

That is true, but having Jarl as a unit is like you can have 40 Counts in your army as Swadia.....

And King is Konungr
That is if you want "Old Norse" language..... But you can use Kung if you want use one of their language after the viking age....

FrisianDude said:
:neutral: He can use those words *exactly*  how he wants to, you know. If you'd have any beef with it not being historical then your only beef would have to be with the Axe-throwing unit. :razz: Anyway, sounds quite nice, though I think most people will go for the Skirl route instead of the Huskarl-one.

I'm definitely keeping the axethrowing unit, for two reasons.
Reason One: Same reason I have the skirmisher, balanced melee and ranged unit.
Reason Two: When I was testing them, they throw axes at peoples faces. They're too ownage to remove.

Also, the Skirl costs a lot more than the other units, to keep the balance.

von Afton said:

Karmine said:
Nord Jarl should not be a unit, a Jarl is what he is in the game a man who owns a castle, army and land.

Thanks for the tip. I might replace the Skirl/Jarl line with a mounted cavalry section.

I will also rename most of the lords of all factions, just because I always have to look at the caharacters part of the journal just to see which faction is attacking my stuff.
So far the Lords and King of the Nords will be renamed to Jarls and Konungr (Thanks for the language Karmine). And Vaegir lords will be renamed to Captains. If anyone has any ideas for the Kergit feel free to tell me.

Well your welcome, I do not know "Captain" in Old Norse but closest I know too it is "Kapteinn" and that Icelandic but Höfðingi is both Old Norse and Icelandic and means Chief, Chieftain, Leader.

If you can not find Old Norse word you need you can look for the Icelandic one.. often there is minor change.. like Konungr is in modern Icelandic Konungur words that end in Icelandic with "ur" ended with only "r" in Old Norse. Modern Danish, Swedish and Norwegian is too different from Old Norse to be compared.

Making a mod that grants Nord troops in the game random chances of gaining strength or raised attributes and skills such as athletics and spamming attacks (going berserkr) would be better than having a berserkr troop.

Lumos said:
Raptor_a22 said:
Nord Bezerker
AFAIK it's Berserk, from Bear and "sark" - skin. But I'm not much of a linguist, so I miht be wrong.

Otherwise, nice. I think that the Nords will now "pwn" all of the other nations, but...

necro but, It's Serk from Serk word for Shirt in old norse, go berserk is wearing your bearskin as a shirt in battle. (my norwegian teacher had a major in old norse ;P)

Raptor_a22 said:
von Afton said:

Thanks for the tip. I might replace the Skirl/Jarl line with a mounted cavalry section.

I'm fairly sure that the vikings didn't introduce the use of proper cavalry to Normandy. I think that cavalry was already developing in the continent at this time, and the fact that the Normans later developed very good heavy cavalry was only a part of what was happening in the rest of France (and probably other parts of Western Europe). In their actual fighting strategy, tactics and equipment, the Normans owed very little to their viking heritage.

Ermm Schola?
6c73d462a847.jpg
plate15.jpg

In my opinion, troops that have chance of a horse on the battlefield don't work well. They are all classified as 'cavalry' and the dudes stuck without a horse will try and follow the orders you give to your cav...

Back
Top Bottom