Big badass axe stances.

Users who are viewing this thread

EvZone

On probation
I would like to say about the Big Badass Axe (Great Long Axe).
You can either hold it as 2hander or polearm, and 2h stance gives extra reach. If it gives extra reach, it means the blade part of the axe is farther away from you, that means it's farther away from the rotation axis when you do an horizontal slash. Since the tip is farther away, the tip goes through more distance than if it was closer from it's rotation axis. And you do the slash in the same time, so the tip goes faster in 2h stance. So it should do more damage. Hard to explain this kind of stuff in a language that isn't my main one...

I will even calculate how much more damage it should make.

Be x the base damage of polearm stance.
When in polearm stance the effective part of the weapon (from right hand to the axe-head) is about let's say... 1 meter. To simplify. And when you switch to a 2handed stance, it becomes around 1,3m.
Again, to simplify, we will say that the rotation axis is located at the begining of the effective part of the weapon (right hand for polearm stance and left arm for 2h stance). As you know, the formula to calculate a circle's circunference is pi * 2r = pi * 2 * 1,3 = 2,6pi meters for the 2handed stance and 2pi meters for the polearm stance IF doing a full perfect spin.
Let's consider the tip describes a half circle shaped trajectory when doing horizontal slash, this means the actual distance is only half of what i said. So pi meters for the polearm and 1,3pi meters for the 2h stance.
Now to something more fun! The guy does the slash in about a half second. With that we calculate the speed:

POLEARM STANCE:
    ~6.28 (2pi) m/s

TWO-HANDED STANCE:
    ~8,16 (2.6pi) m/s

Ec = (mv^2)/2 : formula for kinetic energy. You will notice that v (speed) is ^2 (don't know english term for it...) so, to calculate the new damage
(which depends on the kinetic energy), knowing the speed difference, all you have to do is... (Two-handed stance speed/Polearm stance speed)^2 * damage: 91 damage. That's right, 91 ****ing damage. I think i made a mistake somewhere lol, tell me if you spot it. Oh well, maybe the calcs are right but the idea was wrong?

Few things:
1. You don't do a full revolution in one second while you swing
2. Long axes in 2h mode have less speed than as polearms
3. Using them as polearms gives much more leverage

And most importantly:
4. You're not throwing the axe.

Stabbing Hobo said:
Few things:
1. You don't do a full revolution in one second while you swing
2. Long axes in 2h mode have less speed than as polearms
3. Using them as polearms gives much more leverage

And most importantly:
4. You're not throwing the axe.

1. I divided the rotation by two, since thats pretty much what the axe does and in about a half second. A full rotation could take longer, it's not really regular.
2. I just figured that out, that's why the 91 is false lol. Well thanks.
3. I was just talking about damage, not overall how good the weapon is.
4. Didn't understand that one :/

Anyways, seeing that the idea behind this was false since 2h stance is slower than polearm stance, i declare this suggestion failed

4. E=1/2mv2 is the kinetic energy of and object moving in the xyz plane. In this case the axe is rotating, not moving around as if it was thrown. Even more important is the person swinging the axe. He doesn't just let go of the axe when it hits, instead he will keep pushing more to the swing after it connects. That's why leverage is important as well.

Back
Top Bottom