The word filter, and a compromise with the community.

Which situation is preferable?

• The filter is enforced for the entire forum, in a blanket fashion.

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • The filter is an option for each user, and the default setting is on. Guests view a filtered site.

Votes: 134 64.4%
  • The filter is removed entirely.

Votes: 66 31.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes, there are already several threads on the issue, but none in which I have control over the poll. :razz:

Rather than simply discussing or complaining about the issue, I would like to focus on a way to move forward to a final decision.

As is quite obvious, there is a great number of people who are rather angry about the implementation of the filter. Beyond them, are a group of people showing quite clearly how they don't think that the filter helps anything, and how it may, in fact, make the swearing matter worse. Flaming takes place whether you are able to swear or not, and people will still be able to swear with the filter in place. That is what our moderators and administrators are for. They handle these situations. It is the view of many that a filter will not change this situation, and will only add extra work for the administration in continually and manually updating the filter in order for it to be effective.

Conversely, there are people who would rather not view certain language, and would feel more comfortable in a place where such words are at least not completely shown. Armagan's post on the matter also demonstrates that such colorful language can give a bad impression for the site for those who are not yet part of the community. A filter for guests, and people who would rather not deal with reading what they view as inappropriate words could be a good thing.

Both points are certainly valid, and fortunately we have a way to keep both parties happy, rather than enforce one option on everyone. As has been suggested, making the filter an option in each profile would give the individual the choice they want. I believe such a system is in place on the 40konline forum, and though I have spent very little time there, it seemed very well accepted. Please, for the sake of the community you are trying to protect, choose the option that can keep the community intact. If anyone has any further comments or suggestions, please voice them.

Two makes sense, although I accidentally voted for three. >.>

I'm all for a selective filter. Only ****ty when the entire forum of adults and elderly teens are subjected to it.

I think option #2 is the most logical approach, although most browsers support optional plug-ins that do censor things automatically. It would be easier to simply link to a list of those at sign up.

Easier, but it wouldn't give the forum the ability to create the impression Armagan would like to guests viewing the forum. Also, it wouldn't give the administration the ability to replace swear words in a humorous manner. :razz:

I'm glad that senses were come to and that the filter will be optional.

However, I'm going to have to ask you get someone who can actually code to make it, the filter completely screwed up the forum for a start. The 'ho' in author, a word that's part of quoting html, being censored? Really?

Also, this person should be able to speak English fluently, it should have been 'a woman with questionable life choices.'

Not to mention the words being censored to something that is equally or even more offensive, calling someone a retard is bad, but it's okay to call them Rainman? Oh, and all black people are actually made of chocolate.

Next time you're going to implement something, finish it first. Then test it. Then, if you can find the time, maybe warn the community in advance.

Now, those are my legitimate complaints out of the way. I'm going to express my frustration. Ah, I see the filter is still in, in that case, I'll be evading it, but only until it's optional. When the choice is implemented, I'll stop evading. Fuck.

Back
Top Bottom