Is Mythology the turth disguised as a Tale? or a Tale to disguise a Turth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Allegro said:
Gr0vZ said:
Κέφι (kefi) - fun
I dont know what this is

Oh, yes you do. You never had "keyif" in your life? That's kind of sad.

Allegro said:
Gr0vZ said:
Μπαρούτι (baruti) - blackpowder (note that Greeks came in their greater contact with firearms under the Ottoman rule)
I thought this was Arabic version of the Greek word pyrite or something like that?

Gr0vZ said:
Μπουντρούμι (budrumi) - dungeon
I thought this was also related to something Greek

So, you're trying to tell me that the words "barut" and "bodrum" ring no bells to you? Also "σιδηροπυρίτης" (sidiropiritis-pyrite) and "πυρίτιδα" (piritida-gunpowder) have... well, no common points apart from being chemical terms. There is also the word "πυρίτιο" (piritio), but that's the greek word for "silicon".

Allegro said:
Gr0vZ said:
Βρε (vre) - a form of a calling idiom
This exists only in Balkan dialects of Turkish, I would relate it to one of the Balkan languages. Something related to "brother" perhaps?

Nope, nothing related to "brother", neither in greek, neither in any slavic language of the Balkans, considering that this word is almost universal in all slavic languages. I, as of polish descent, could use the word "brat" and I'm sure a Bulgarian would understand what I mean by that. As I said, "vre" is a calling idiom, like in "sus, vre maskara", which, by the way, if used in Greece, it will make sense to everyone.

Allegro said:
Gr0vZ said:
Νταλκάς (dalkas) - love sorrow
The only thing I can relate this to in Turkish is dalga, which means wave.

Indeed, I forgot to add "wave", or rather "tide" as one of its interpretations. That's how "love sorrow" binds to it.

Gr0vZ said:
Oh, yes you do. You never had "keyif" in your life? That's kind of sad.
The similarity just didnt strike me at first.

Gr0vZ said:
So, you're trying to tell me that the words "barut" and "bodrum" ring no bells to you? Also "σιδηροπυρίτης" (sidiropiritis-pyrite) and "πυρίτιδα" (piritida-gunpowder) have... well, no common points apart from being chemical terms. There is also the word "πυρίτιο" (piritio), but that's the greek word for "silicon".
Of course I know those words, its just I thought they had Greek or Latin origins. I strongly believe that the word "barut" is the Arabic derivation from something Greek, which is related to fire. Greeks may have re-adopted the Arabicized version of the word, like American companies that have strong business ties with Japan using the term "sarariman" instead of "salaryman".

It's hard to say if there is any possibility that the word for black powder in Arabic would derive from some ancient greek word, since Ancient Greeks did not know gunpowder, so it's far more possible that the Arabs named it out of other derivation, taken also the geographical distances.

As for fire, in ancient greek it was known as "πῦρ" (pir) and anything related to it sounded the same like "πύρινος" (pirinos - "fiery" in its male form). In moden greek, the word "φωτιά" (fotia) is used instead, which comes out of the same medieval greek word for glow, radiance, shine, etc. Still, words related to "φωτιά", like "φωτεινός" (fotinos - "radiant" in its male form), have no meaning of fire, but radiance, whereas words related to "πυρ" are used to describe anything igneous.

Büllshıt.

[Middle English auncestre, from Old French, from Latin antecessor, predecessor, from antecessus, past participle of antecēdere, to precede : ante-, ante- + cēdere, to go; see ked- in Indo-European roots.]

Bromden said:
Büllshıt.

[Middle English auncestre, from Old French, from Latin antecessor, predecessor, from antecessus, past participle of antecēdere, to precede : ante-, ante- + cēdere, to go; see ked- in Indo-European roots.]

Those Proto-Indo Eurpeans were pretty weird people for understanding Turkic sentences as single words.

Think of how an English would feel if they saw a group of others having words like:

whatiwipeemyasswithafteri**** :  paper
itshallhurtyoureyes: sunlight
youhavetokeepitcleanbecausewomenlovesuckingit: banana

etc, etc.

Let's assume that I say that I was wrong in all of my previous arguments...  Then the question will still be unanswered: How the hell did this happen? Who made it this way? Did what we call Yahwe from the bible did this? Was Yahwe aliens from another planet or dimension? Was it God?  This is like a science fiction movie that is actually real.

Gr0vZ said:
I, as of polish descent, could use the word "brat" and I'm sure a Bulgarian would understand what I mean by that.
Indeed I would. We use the exact same form and I think most Slavs actually do so (at least, I don't see much room for "diversifying" the word). As well as, of course, the other, similar, though possibly unrelated root-word "bat" (batko/bate/bati depending on the context), which we use for "big brother" (similarly - "kaka" for "big sister"). I've heard that "bat" isn't exactly Slavic though, but rather Iranic (or, in the case of this thread - Turkic). So I wonder if other Slavic languages use it or not..?

ancalimon said:
Let's assume that I say that I was wrong in all of my previous arguments...  Then the question will still be unanswered: How the hell did this happen? Who made it this way? Did what we call Yahwe from the bible did this? Was Yahwe aliens from another planet or dimension? Was it God?  This is like a science fiction movie that is actually real.
The monkeys made them do it!

ancalimon said:
I've got bad news, dude. It all originates from inside your skull.

Bromden said:
ancalimon said:
I've got bad news, dude. It all originates from inside your skull.

I can not create riddles like these. I dont have the ability.

You underestimate yourself, mate! :smile:

I think you should even publish a book. That way, other people like you would have another source to quote to prove themselves right. :wink:

ancalimon said:
For example in this word, "ekle" meaning glue,join together in Turkish can be seen in the form "glue" in IE languages.

aha! read on!

The Turkish word-group around 'ekle' is actually DESCENDED from the pre-celtic languages of the British Isles.
Long study has shown that some words filtered through into late-modern Scots, one of which is 'ickle'.  This now means small, but the meaning drifted considerably since pre-celtic usage, via the celts in the first  millenium BC, some Scandinavian influences, and eventually the confrontation with English after the 13th century.
The original meaning quite certainly expresses the concept "put small pieces together".

So you see how although your Turckk sounds may have been spreading around for the last few hundred years, they themselves were adopted from other sources, including the British Isles.

[size=14pt]How can this be?
  You ask yourself - the ancient culture of the upper Euphrates could not possibly have been influenced by some island hermits, huddling in their skins and gnawing on bones....

Well, no.  But the pre-celtic cultures of the British Isles have been acknowledged as some of the most advanced of the Bronze Age and have demonstrated trade links with the mediterannean as well as most of the North-Sea and even Baltic coastal cultures.  So do not despair, dear ancalimon, the turkk were not subjugated by some wild neanderthals, but educated by a higher society that came to trade, teach and share.
[/size]

Amman de Stazia said:
ancalimon said:
For example in this word, "ekle" meaning glue,join together in Turkish can be seen in the form "glue" in IE languages.

aha! read on!

The Turkish word-group around 'ekle' is actually DESCENDED from the pre-celtic languages of the British Isles.
Long study has shown that some words filtered through into late-modern Scots, one of which is 'ickle'.  This now means small, but the meaning drifted considerably since pre-celtic usage, via the celts in the first  millenium BC, some Scandinavian influences, and eventually the confrontation with English after the 13th century.
The original meaning quite certainly expresses the concept "put small pieces together".

So you see how although your Turckk sounds may have been spreading around for the last few hundred years, they themselves were adopted from other sources, including the British Isles.

[size=14pt]How can this be?
  You ask yourself - the ancient culture of the upper Euphrates could not possibly have been influenced by some island hermits, huddling in their skins and gnawing on bones....

Well, no.  But the pre-celtic cultures of the British Isles have been acknowledged as some of the most advanced of the Bronze Age and have demonstrated trade links with the mediterannean as well as most of the North-Sea and even Baltic coastal cultures.  So do not despair, dear ancalimon, the turkk were not subjugated by some wild neanderthals, but educated by a higher society that came to trade, teach and share.
[/size]
That's a while back though, before Hammurabi possibly?

Just.. in response to most of the things I have seen from this turk oriented person.. couldn't you find a connection between anything you choose if you looked hard enough, whether the connection actually was on purpose or not?

McQ said:
Just.. in response to most of the things I have seen from this turk oriented person.. couldn't you find a connection between anything you choose if you looked hard enough, whether the connection actually was on purpose or not?

You'd be interested in Umberto Echo's novel, "Foucault's Pendulum".

The novel portrays how a group of obsessed, sick people who have lost all connection to reality -- through blind obsession -- can simply plunge towards depths of massive delusion in their endless quest to find "links" and "associations" between objects/events, which otherwise a healthy and sane mind would have no trouble sorting out as simple coincidences. Hence, what these people build is an endless loop of one supposition stacked over the other, forming a huge tower of a conspiracy theory, which in essence, even a slightest fact check may simply bring down.

I roughly recall when the infamous "ancalimon posts" began on these boards, and I also seem to recall his initial claims were based on bogus textbook references from something like 150 years ago. Those were the days when people believed in pseudo-sciences such as phrenology, personology, racial distinctions in intelligence. It was a time when linking ancient European history to the "old mysteries" of a fantasized orient was something of a fad, typical of 19th century romanticism.

Unfortunately, ancalimon was able to weasel his way out from the burden of proof in those initial stages. Through continuous quotations and citations based on a supposed "group of academics", which, people used to the conventional and orthodox community of historic research would no doubt have serious difficulty in identifying and cross-checking, he was able to continue adding one unconfirmed and unlikely historical theory to another. This is the same method the so-called "UFO experts" use, for example. Since people who make such fantastic claims can never have the support of sincere established circles of academics, what they do is they make up their own "academic circles".... and then they start quoting each other for credibility. The "scientific proof" or "common fact" these sort of people speak of, actually means "what they consider to be the truth in their own, small, deluded community of fanatics".

In truth, such attitude and methodology adds nothing to the search of truth. It makes a mockery out of history, warped and twisted to fit a bigot's near-sighted and political agenda, belittles and defiles the wonderful variety of human diversity and culture which have thrived through the ages. I'd say he was tolerated for way too many years, on these boards.

Back
Top Bottom