Author Topic: [OSP][Item] Camel Model (download)  (Read 13128 times)

FrisianDude

• Coitus non Awesome
  • Archduke
  • Zis is Tshörman tärritorie!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: Liudulf Ward/Léodwulf
  • M&BWB
Re: Open Source Camel Model (download)
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »
:<
Nords ruled by King Ragnar, Khergits ruled by Sanjar Khan, Rhodoks ruled by King Graveth, Swadians ruled by King Harlaus, Vaegirs ruled by King Yaroglek. All those peoples live, fight, and die in the continent of Calradia. The Nords and Rhodoks field solely infantry and archers, the Swadians and Vaegirs have infantry, archers and cavalry and the Khergit field almost exclusively cavalry. No such things as "infarty" or "calvary" exist. Play Vikingr!

Turanien

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 10:32:25 AM »
Holy ****.

:shock:  :D

wanderer949

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 11:03:46 AM »
looks great! a camel for my sarranid camel archer :)

but the camel needs a girth (strap that holds saddle on), Ill add it myself

Rath0s

• Baron
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: Rathos/Egil_Haraldson
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
Thanks for this, now make me a bear.  :P

Ethiius

• Sergeant at Arms
  • mod hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »
Ohmigod! This day shall live on for an ererntity in my heart!

Hatonastick

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 07:13:39 PM »
Edit: Never mind, I should ask my question in my own thread.  Sorry about that.  Sleep deprivation = bad decision making. :)

xenoargh

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »
now make me a bear
Can that even be done?  I thought horse animations were hard-coded to horse types... their joints are totally wrong for a bear, and the animation is wrong. 

All the variant "horses" I've seen have really been using horse animations, so while I could do a two-legged creature that just used the back-legs (Giant Emu Riders, anybody?) I think a bear is right out, because the front joints move a different way.  I guess if *everybody* rode bears / lions / tigers / giant war-dogs then it'd "just" be an animation change.  I really don't know how you'd get around this engine limitation otherwise.  The only good news about this is that Taleworlds could fix it fairly easily, by having the horse type of equipment associated with certain animations / skeleton by default (like the "races"), to keep backwards compatibility, but then give us a itf_ tuple that would point to a new skeleton / animation series.  Just thinking out loud there.

Also, while I'm thinking about this topic, if I move bones around in a skeleton and export that from OpenBRF, then use that as the basis for a rig, will that actually work correctly?  I don't know jack about that stuff yet.

but the camel needs a girth (strap that holds saddle on), Ill add it myself
A lot of camels are ridden without, but yeah, a war-camel probably needs one.  Pretty straightforward to add that to the maps, maybe I will get to that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:07:43 PM by xenoargh »

Rath0s

• Baron
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 08:04:18 PM »
now make me a bear
Can that even be done?  I thought horse animations were hard-coded to horse types... their joints are totally wrong for a bear, and the animation is wrong. 

All the variant "horses" I've seen have really been using horse animations, so while I could do a two-legged creature that just used the back-legs (Giant Emu Riders, anybody?) I think a bear is right out, because the front joints move a different way.

Also, while I'm thinking about this topic, if I move bones around in a skeleton and export that from OpenBRF, then use that as the basis for a rig, will that actually work correctly?  I don't know jack about that stuff yet.

I have tried to put in a bear, by copying and pasting the horse rig onto the bear, the back of the bear worked fine, but the neck and head got **** up because the horse head is taller up than the bear head.

xenoargh

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
I could probably fix the rig, just like I had to do with the camel, where I did some fairly lengthy trial-and-error to get the head / neck just right.

But what about the front joints of the legs? 

As you can see, bears have a totally different gait... until horses can have a new skeleton type associated with them, I don't see how this is practical.  It was, erm... tricky, with a camel, which uses a very similar gait and joints all face the same way.  Tricky, but not totally impossible, to get it to behave properly with the horse animations.

With something like a bear or a big cat, I think it would be impossible to have it look right, and I am not very interested in making something that doesn't look reasonable.  Not perfect, I literally taught myself how to rig over the last two weeks, so perfection will have to wait ;)

Oh, and while I'm talking about stuff... is there any way to turn off / change the horse sounds, without shutting them off completely?  I want camel noises for camels.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:19:13 PM by xenoargh »

Rath0s

• Baron
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 08:32:58 PM »
Does that mean you might gonna try this out?  :)

xenoargh

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »
Not unless one of the animation experts here tells me that the problems I'm talking about can be gotten around, no.  I don't want to see a "bear" whose front leg joints move the wrong way, sorry.  If it was 'just' the rigging, I might have been willing, since it'd be a fun stunt.

Albertus Ursus

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • Steam - albertus_ursus
    • Twitch.tv - albertus_ursus
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Albertus_Ursus
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 08:49:23 PM »
Well maybe now even camels will be possible in my Age of Empires mod!
Great! Thank you!  :D

happy51591

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 04:52:11 AM »
Sir can you also make an Armored Camel for the Mamluk and the Sarranid Sultanate faction.

xenoargh

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 06:50:01 PM »
I'd be willing to consider doing this- can anybody find me an authentic photo or drawings of a camel with barding?  I am pressed for time atm.

Njunja

• Knight
  • Grrr baby, very grrr...
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: WSC_Njunja
  • WBWF&S
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 06:21:52 PM »
Thanks for this great model.  :D
I don't believe there were armored camels, can't find any photos. Maybe they didn't use them armored because they are slow anyway.  :wink: