• Khergit

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • Vaegir

Votes: 32 13.7%
  • Sarranid Sultanate

Votes: 26 11.1%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I prefer Rhodoks. I like to add in 2 Swadian Knights just so I have cavalry strong enough to disrupt the enemy lines (at least until my companions level up) but Rhodok sergeants and sharpshooters do everything I need them to.

[/quote]
no

Get a dozen men-at-arms or knights and you can just sit back and watch while they win. And it isn't just in battles in the field, either. They're fantastic in sieges, both ways, as well.

I like the Rhodoks because they are a damned challenge. Of all the factions I'd have to say they're the hardest to use, so it makes victory all the more refreshing. Plus the whole democratic-peasant thing appeals to my inner romanticist.
[/quote]

Well yeah the knights and men at arms are by far the best units but I was trying to bring ALL the units from my faction into account. I'm actually suprised that so many liked the Sarranids. Mostly because they're a new faction and I figured everyone would stick with their old favorites. They're really cool though and Taleworlds did a great job making them. They most certainly manage to stay unique from the Khergit in my opinion. Those Mamlukes are quite a challenge to top it off. It doesn't fit Classic Arabian tactics back in those days however. Their Calvalry was more like the Khergits Horseman on a whole. I can't wait to fight them after I conquer most of the other factions they're duking it out with the Khergit and if they manage to conquer them and become more powerful when we war it will be very reminiscent of the Crusades minus all the whole Holy war thing.  :roll:

Sarranids look more like Pyjama warriors, than an actual fighting force  :lol:

Favorite faction hmmm i dont think i have one yet, more or less playing around with all factions depending my mood.

socks said:
Tristan of Cranford said:
However using them together with superior tactics can win the day.
no

Get a dozen men-at-arms or knights and you can just sit back and watch while they win. And it isn't just in battles in the field, either. They're fantastic in sieges, both ways, as well.

I like the Rhodoks because they are a damned challenge. Of all the factions I'd have to say they're the hardest to use, so it makes victory all the more refreshing. Plus the whole democratic-peasant thing appeals to my inner romanticist.

And for the cost of a single knight I can get 1.5 or 2 Huscarl.  Now I'll be the first to admit half a Huscarl isn't much use (half a twitching corpse never killed anyone) but as the numbers add up, the Huscarl tend to win out.  I've been known to sit back and just watch the melee at a castle I've taken with just a dozen Huscarl with about 20 recruits/footmen to back them up and the Huscarl butchered everything that came across the tower.  Just got done with three battles with the Swadians before they decided that they didn't want to screw with the nords.  I lost 4 people 1 Huscarl wounded, and inflicted roughly 160 total losses.  about 25-30 of those were Men at arms or Knights. 

So yeah, I'll stick with my Nords even as I respect the brute impact of a properly disciplined cavalry charge.  Plus the infantry from Warrior up among the Nords are savage, they just get a lot meaner when they reach the top :wink:

P.S.  I make no guarrantee that my Allies didn't lose more, I don't pay attention to their losses as they fight foolishly.

Nords have good shields and throwing axes.  :mrgreen:

Besides they are not fairy horse archers or OP mamelukes and swadian knights or just crappy rhodoks....  ...vaegirs arent so bad either actually :razz:

For me It is Rhodok,

The veray first time I played Mount & blade I started in Rhodoks my first troop was a Rhodok tribsman. Rhodok is the only faction to make make the step up to constauninel monarky.

Thay had the best land on the old map

Thay use all but 1 of my favrate wepons
Clube with spike
Glave
Shortend spear
Pike
Sidge crossbow
Millitary pick
(Iron staff is the only wepon I like thay don't use)

Rhodoks!  They look like a rag-tag group of vagabonds, and can use the best variety of strategies while remaining economical to field.  The units seem to work together more fluidly than the units of other factions as well.  In multiplayer, I think their weapon selection is also the most well-suited to the strengths of the faction - and being someone with a relative distaste for going cavalry in multiplayer, nothing punishes cavalry more than a pike.

Nords is a close second though, really close.  The thing about Nords is, though, they got very boring very fast because there's no reason to make or use archers.  Hold position / mass melee / hold fire until enemy is close = the Nord steamroller strategy that works on every battle.  I should say that in multiplayer, Nords are pretty fantastic with their cheap and powerful equipment selection, 135 2h weapon proficiency, and 140 throwing weapon proficiency.  It's just too bad that the long axes are considered pole-weapons and can't take advantage of the 2h weapon proficiency.  Oh well, there's always picking up a dead enemy's 2h weapon off of the ground.

I'd probably like Sarranids if they were finished / properly balanced, though.  There are oddities with their troop tree like the infantry having no points in power strike when the unit before them has power strike, and other issues like many of the early infantry having bamboo spears that they will never ever use under any circumstance.  I also feel like they'd play a lot more fun/different if they were more true to their inspirations by sticking with throwing weapons as the bread and butter of their ranged units instead of bows.  Mamelukes shouldn't have morningstars either... they should be lances/ short or nomad bows/ scimitars.  That'd be more balanced for starters, and truer to their inspiration, right?  I think those morningstars they use are the real issue that causes them to flat-out counter everything.

If Sarranids were known for their light skirmishers, medium cavalry archers/lancers, and light infantry, they'd probably be my favorite (as you could really adapt their strategies to whatever you were facing).  Sadly, in their current state they are just a more powerful version of the Swadians.

None of the above: tremble before my peasant army! The shrill cry of 100 charging Sword Sisters is enough to make even the mightiest of Kings say, "you know what, I've left the kettle on back home - back in a minute. Don't be afraid to win the battle without me."

They're effective AND affordable. So for a good time on the cheap, grab a peasant woman. :wink:

I Like Nords and Rhodok, Nords have Good And Strong Infantry ( But Their Archers sucks). And Rhodoks Have Strong Pikes and Spears, and Their Sharpshooters look Good.

Used to be Nords for me, but these days I'm Rhodok all the way.

All round infantry & archers, amazing when defending in a siege, great for picking off defenders during a siege assault, capable of winning in the open if handled well. They're also considered the under dog, so consider me sold  :grin:

Sarranid.

Because i love the Saracen culture.
Because i love Turban and Raghead people.

Because  i like Saladin Aka :صلاح الدين يوسف بن أيوب
And because i like Desert.

Read my sig.

As far as overall troop roster in terms of balance, it's Vaegir all the way for me.  I know Vaegir Knights are considered 3rd rate by most, but they are my favorite.  They look the best, and their huge two handed axe makes up for a lot of the stat differential when compared to Swadian Knights and Mamluks.  In my experience, they also outperform both other Knights in siege defense because of the reach of their two handed axes.  No enemy gets close enough to cause any damage. 

Vaegir Guards are nothing to sneeze at either stat wise, they look awesome and they can hold the line against any infantry in the game for as long as it takes after their Marksmen thin the herd and before their Knights smash into the enemy flank. 

Obviously, the most powerful army is a party with nothing but Knights (so boring), but if you are like me and enjoy a balanced, flexible and powerful  roster that can be molded to do everything well, Vaegirs are money. 

As far as pure fun to play, I prefer Rhodoks and Khergits.  They are a bit more of a challenge to play as and force you to be more careful and use more tactics.  It's just a more enjoyable game for me.

I play as Nords once in awhile, but they get boring real fast because of the lack of variety in their troop roster.  I haven't played Swadians since early original M&B because they are simply the most boring faction in the game for me.  I've never played a full campaign with the Sarranids because they remind me of a Swadian reskin. 

Everyone loves Swadians because they have those knights damit, and im want be chivalric honr knite when i grow up!!!

Everyone loves Nords because they are manly and are Vikings and those wimmen horsemen and archers are pussies.

Everyone loves Rhodoks because they feel romanticist about their peasant nature and their love of freedom.

Well heavy cavalry charges are awesome and i dont really care if the Swadians heavy cav' is named knight or tincan-on-a-horse, they are still my favorite faction. I love the western-ish equipement they use, much more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom