Waterfall model request

Users who are viewing this thread

CalenLoki

Grandmaster Knight
Yoshi said that we should create our own threads with model requests... don't know if it is too wise idea... :razz:

Anyway - could someone make for me:
-waterfall,
-place-where-water-from-waterfall-hit-water-in-lake
this photo show what I mead
Waterfall.jpg
-mountain river (no-flat)
all models possibly multi-meshes with some white foam (partially transparent white texture below moving water texture)

It's for multiplayer map that will be included in 22nd map pack (probably not only there)
mb8w.jpg

mb7d.jpg

I need to make mountain river, and totally flat water looks bad...
mb6.jpg
I've tried to do it myself in wings, but failed - anything more complex than sword or bow is beyond my skills..

Hope that somebody have a bit free time... or maybe know about existing model in some mod/OSP?

MB water is generated by engine at some Z level (usually 0).
You can't make moving water yourself in other places, not to mention make it fall. You can make static scene prop, which will look weird. I don't think animated textures are possible on scene props

You're wrong. Try edit mode, and place scene prop named water_river. You need to do this with dx9, because with dx7 it's static. Only problem is that model is flat - quad with two polygons and 4 vertices...

Back to topic - in exchange I can make scene for you, place your/your clan banner in main hall and/or you can choose one house/dungeon room as yours, and tell me how should I decorate it (obviously not main hall)

CalenLoki said:
You're wrong. Try edit mode, and place scene prop named water_river. You need to do this with dx9, because with dx7 it's static. Only problem is that model is flat - quad with two polygons and 4 vertices...

Back to topic - in exchange I can make scene for you, place your/your clan banner in main hall and/or you can choose one house/dungeon room as yours, and tell me how should I decorate it (obviously not main hall)

There is a problem with using this asset.

If at any point your character goes below the elevation that the asset sits on, you will be immersed under water despite being nowhere near the object.

I'm not sure modeling the mesh is your biggest concern.

I'd much rather advise you to look for a solution using particle systems -  and have those be the actual waterfall. Look at the way the torches are set up. Starting with that, maybe you could create a convincing enough particle flow to simulate the falling water.

CalenLoki said:
Ah, must be new WB feature...
Turanien said:
... which is not working properly because engine still interprets it like a whole-map water level.

vlad_flyzzz said:
I'd much rather advise you to look for a solution using particle systems -  and have those be the actual waterfall.
And this is actually a brilliant suggestion! (I think I'll steal it for one of my scenes :wink:)
Static mesh will do just fine as a backbone, if you litter it with particle effects
One of the particle effects to look on is splashes from people walking through water. Setting them up on submerged stones will give you nice mountain river impression even with flat water

Turanien said:

If at any point your character goes below the elevation that the asset sits on, you will be immersed under water despite being nowhere near the object.
Hmm... I've never saw that happened...
vlad_flyzzz said:
I'm not sure modeling the mesh is your biggest concern.

I'd much rather advise you to look for a solution using particle systems -  and have those be the actual waterfall. Look at the way the torches are set up. Starting with that, maybe you could create a convincing enough particle flow to simulate the falling water.
Nice idea! now I have to figure out how particles work...

GetAssista said:
Ah, must be new WB feature...
probably... I've never tried editing scenes in old M&B... in fact I've never editing any scene before this one xD
... which is not working properly because engine still interprets it like a whole-map water level.
For me it works...

Thanks guys for ideas - if I make it works, I'll post "how to" guide...

if it is possible to make a scene prop rotate, you could place a wheel like object at that point and give it a material/texture that looks like white water and have it rotate to simulate a waterfall. place a few rocks to hide/disguise any parts that look wrong and you should be good to go.

not sure if it is possible as I have not tried any scene modding with this engine but it has got to be worth a look

I'm going to say that particle effects are probably your best bet, but do be conservative with them, too many particle effects will cause issues.

Very pretty map by the way, it'll be great with a water fall.

Urlik said:
if it is possible to make a scene prop rotate, you could place a wheel like object at that point and give it a material/texture that looks like white water and have it rotate to simulate a waterfall. place a few rocks to hide/disguise any parts that look wrong and you should be good to go.

not sure if it is possible as I have not tried any scene modding with this engine but it has got to be worth a look
I thought about it, but with so many waterfalls (mainly small ones) it would make map unplayable. That is the reason why I asked for static model, only with animated textures. Anyway, I'll try both ideas (animated textures and particles), but not sooner than Monday - dx9 capable laptop taken by sis again...

Thanks Austupaio.
And don't worry about particle abuse - I know how it is to have no-top-end computer...

I got this.....might take some time tho since I am going to watch ironman in an hour or so.

Edit:
bah I didn't like ironman 2....
I think I am done, unless I can think of some improvements.

(its alot smoother than this but im too lazy to make more than a 2 frame gif.)

Edit2: meh I've already lost interest in this, I'll put this together in a zip file for anyone who wants it or for them to see how it was done.
waterfall.gif

I tried to do it with regular m&b and it didn't work for some reason, that was a long time ago and it might be working because last time I had to use BrfEdit and now im using OpenBrf, not sure....but i'll try to get it working for regular m&b too.

Edit: heres the module
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1881☮

Back
Top Bottom