OSP Other Animations Open source animations - bow animation test version

Users who are viewing this thread

Great, I think 'golf swing' will be an excellent animation for evoking
special powers of a magic weapon. I'll try it with my UU2 'axe of fire doom'.

@Psiphoon - Oh yeah, those ones are pretty cool. More like that sort of fighting style I was looking for. I remember them from the Beta too. Had a bit of a trawl through the BRFs and there seems to be quite a few cool ununsed animations.

Here's what I think about archery animations:
[list type=decimal]
[*]it should be made for belt quiver
[*]right hand should be vertically (like thumb up)
[*]taking and nocking arrow should take more time than drawing
[*]in first person view, arrow should works as sight - be in the middle, vertically
[*]arrow should abut on both bow and hand
[*]Animation step by step:
mnbf.jpg
[list type=decimal]
[*]if it is possible to play first part of animation without arrow attached to hand than: move right hand to grab arrow
dsc00053r.jpg
[*]taking arrow from quiver to nearly vertical position (to prevent hitting legs or belt)
dsc00054mn.jpg
[*]putting it horizontally (or more likely diagonal...) again, but in front of archer. also abut it on string from below
dsc00055ur.jpg
[*]moving arrow forward, between string and bow. when arrowhead pass bow for about 10cm, arrow should abut on bow-hand point, and continue forward motion with two abut points - string and bow-hand
dsc00056e.jpg
[*]in single motion - drawing string and moving left hand up (to line with target)
dsc00057a.jpg
[*]loosing arrow - right hand should kick back and up a bit, right elbow low
dsc00058u.jpg
[/list]
[/list]

Hope it's enough detailed description. That stubbly blind guy is me :razz:

• Yoshiboy said:
    @Psiphoon - Oh yeah, those ones are pretty cool. More like that sort of fighting style I was looking for. I remember them from the Beta too. Had a bit of a trawl through the BRFs and there seems to be quite a few cool ununsed animations.

Yeah, I'm very grateful to the devs for leaving them in. From what I understand motion capture seems pretty expensive, so it makes sense not to waste it. I think dreamterror made a sort of fencing lunge for his animation mod here: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1498 might want to take a browse through that as well.

CalenLoki said:
    Here's what I think about archery animations:
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]it should be made for belt quiver
    [*]right hand should be vertically (like thumb up)
    [*]taking and nocking arrow should take more time than drawing
    [*]in first person view, arrow should works as sight - be in the middle, vertically
    [*]arrow should abut on both bow and hand
CalenLoki said:
[/list]

Hope it's enough detailed description. That stubbly blind guy is me :razz:

Now this I will probably be doing quite soon, once I'm finished with the samurai stuff, because I know if I manage to pull it off half-decently there'll be a lot of people who would want to use it. Thanks for the description as well, very helpful. As for playing the first part without the arrow, That probably won't be necessary because m&b has automatic animation blending, so I just increase the blend-in number a bit and the blending period can move hand to the quiver.

EDIT: BLOODY HELL I just realised, bows are held in the left hand, and the vertex-animated arrow in the right hand. Could the same method be used for my original musket animation so it can be used as a "bow" (with the ramrod or scouring stick as an "arrow")? Is there a way to make a bow reload like a crossbow or is that too difficult?

if you redo the bow animations, please put the arrow on the left of the bow and not on the right.

CalanLoki demostrates perfectly where the arrow should be placed against the bow

I've tested some reloading methods today (yay! first day without rain), and here's update to my post:
p. 6.3: Arrow should be above string, not below

Here's a champion bowman video (at 05:38)
See how he slightly "lean" forward at the loosing arrow step. This effect yet reduced for direct shoot (cause this is how M&B's ballistic work) would bring a nice "power feeling" to bow animation

I put a few more animations in and polished the musket reload, more details on the repository entry http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1918

Bow animation is ready for testing! I've uploaded an early version in case I'm doing anything wrong or it needs modifying before I go a bit more in-depth; I want to get it exactly right because this is one motion you have to see over and over. Also I will have to slightly modify the vertex animations for each native bow, as you can see it's miles out of sync with the skeletal animation, but that shouldn't be too hard. All crits are welcome and encouraged.

that's weird, it's definitely in the brf. Are you sure load_mod_resource = custom_animations line is in module.ini, in the right place? It should be in the list where all the other load_resources are.

Nah...I knew I'd forgotten something... :razz:
Feedback soon

EDIT - after adding missing line.... another crash at startup :razz:
get_skeleton_anim failed for: death_ken2
there is no such animation in brf...

CalenLoki said:
Nah...I knew I'd forgotten something... :razz:
Feedback soon

EDIT - after adding missing line.... another crash at startup :razz:
get_skeleton_anim failed for: death_ken2
there is no such animation in brf...

That'd be my fault, I've got about 4 installations of warband on my hdd and files can sometimes get mixed between them. Re-download and replace actions.txt, should work now

Wonderful! but... :razz:

-frame 28 to 40, model move his right arm down - it's unnecessary, and create clipping between bow and arrow between frame 40th and 41st. Frames 29 to 38 looks like he pull arrow with 4kg arrowhead (instead of 60-100g) from quiver, and weight bend his arm down. Keep right arm position from 28th frame, and just rotate hand with arrow until it line up with 41th frame position, than begin forward motion.
-during both forward motion and drawing motion, there are some clippings between bow and arrow

both issues are visible only in brf, in game it looks very good.
Obviously vertex animation and sounds doesn't match animation, but it's easy to fix.

Also shooting max up or down looks weird, because of how M&B handle attacks at different angles... But we can try to fix it somehow - here's my idea how to:

-turn whole left arm 60 degrees right  (and a little bit up) during whole reloading process - so arrow-on-bow-axis will be always directed toward target, at firing-axis
anima.jpg

About other animations (I know that they are probably WIP)
1h is great! I absolutely love how you implement parry animation into attack - chamber blocking looks absolutely amazing now. Hope you do the same with 2h animation. Only three "but" for 1h
-in overhead slash I would place shield more vertical and in front of character while holding sword - it doesn't disturb attack or anything, and it's better to have shield in front of you (passive shield protection against archers, and maybe some day also melee)
shieldyd.jpg
-right to left swing missing something compared to others... maybe make it so weapon is pointed down during "parry" part, an make it more vertical?
-thrust need some kind of parry too - something that throw enemy thrust down and right (tip of parrying blade should make circle)

2h right block is something ****ed up :razz: I mean idea of blocking with tip downward is great, but while moving to this position, weapon tip should make clockwise, not counter clockwise. - he twist his hand 180 degrees from normal position - a bit too much

about falling animation - looks great, but "freeze" after 50m. You may ask "but where can you find more than that?"... well, everything is possible
mb8m.jpg

new stand animation is very nice

For spanned crossbow in theory it is possible to make model (with all animations!), but not with removable windlass... but maybe...

And question about codding - is it possible to add new animations (with separate ID)? It would be nice to have more modes for polearms:
-long polearm: right hand (grip point) in front (use maximum reach), only low and high stab. Usable by pikes and spears.
-short polearm: left hand in front (use shortened reach, as currently, maybe even more), 3 slashes and low stab, Usable by Axes, Hammers, glaives, hafted blades and as alternative grip for spears

About firing at different angles- at the moment the method it uses is called "acf_rot_vertical_bow" which just rotates the spine, but there is another method called "acf_parralels_for_look slope" which uses three separate animations at different heights and interpolates between them. so we can decide where all his body parts are pointing for each direction, but obviously I'll have to do that bit last because it's dependent on the main animation.

The 1hand animations actually aren't mine! They're from ani_parry_attack which is in the native game files, and you'll see they're not in my brf, I just enabled them with the actions.txt. They're motion captured as well, which is why they look so awesome.

Twohanded block right: I agree, but the problem with this is the game only gives a block keeping animation, not a move to block animation (which is weird since I'm pretty sure there was one before warband). I'll probably remake it at some point so it's more a mirror of the left parry.

It is possible to create new animations, but you can't make new item capabilities, which makes it scripting hell to put them in combat (if it can be done at all, I've never tried scripting so I don't know). One thing I was thinking of doing though, once all the current sequences are up to scratch, was making a bunch of very slight variations so the animation doesn't play exactly the same every time, sometimes they don't get an exactly perfect swing or move slightly differently with the same result.

mhm. understand.
Another point: during turning arrow after taking it from quiver (f 28-40) arrow pass through horse neck - one more reason to rethink this:
-frame 28 to 40, model move his right arm down - it's unnecessary, and create clipping between bow and arrow between frame 40th and 41st. Frames 29 to 38 looks like he pull arrow with 4kg arrowhead (instead of 60-100g) from quiver, and weight bend his arm down. Keep right arm position from 28th frame, and just rotate hand with arrow until it line up with 41th frame position, than begin forward motion.
-during both forward motion and drawing motion, there are some clippings between bow and arrow
And yet another: during aiming animation (holding LMB) arrow pierce hand...

Back
Top Bottom