[S] Warband: 15th Century (Released) [Dead for the time being]

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawkwood

NEW:
Sorry for just dropping off without a post, but a lot of factors (among others constant updating of Warband and starting in 2 year of gymnasium) meant I stopped working on this and playing Warband. While it's possible I'll start working on it again, this mdo is dead for the time being.

15th century mod

Download

This mod adds plate armour, changes the names of some units and adds others. Suggestions on how to flesh out the Sarranids, Vaegirs and Khergits welcome, though they should resemble 15th century versions of the nations they are based on: Mongols, Golden Horde and Timurids for Khergits, Arabians for Sarranids and Russians for Vaegirs. No suggestions about changing the Sarranids to be based on the Ottomans.

If you find any balance issues feel free to post them, I'm not very good at at finding them myself.

Changes:
Most top tier units have plate armour, brigandines more common among 4 tier units.
New Pikemen line for Nords and Sarranids
New Raider line for Nords, represents the elements that are slower to adopt new armour and tactics.
Rhodok Veteran Spearmen and Sergeants split into Armati and Clipeati:Clipeati have heavier armour, pavises and are armed with spears, intended to stop cavalry. Armati is faster, have lighter armour and is armed with two-handed polearms (such as glaives and bardiches), intended to kill bogged down enemy units.
New Mounted Crossbowmen line for Rhodoks: NOT intended as Khergit horse archer equivalents, they are instead lighter versions of Swadian cavalry armed with crossbows instead of lances.
Vaegir Archers can upgrade to the heavily armored Horse Archer.
Vaegir fifth tier troops have acces to Vaegir Elite Armor, Vaegir Noble helmet and Vaegir Warmask
Khergit Lancers can upgrade to Cataphracts
Swadian knights renamed Men-at-Arms and Men-at-Arms renamed retainers.

Bugs:
Vaegir Horse Archers don't always have horses despite having the tag. Will be fixed in next version.

Screenshots:
Veteran Clipeati
veteranclipeato.jpg

Veteran Armati
veteranarmato.jpg

Vaegir Pikemen (They have other weapons that pikes, just couldn't think of a better name with infantry taken)
vaegirpikemen.jpg

Vaegir Knights
vaegirknights.jpg

Vaegir Horse Archers
vaegirhorsearchers.jpg

Swadian Sergeants
swadiansergeants.jpg

Swadian Retainers:
swadianretainers.jpg

Swadian Men-at-Arms
swadianmenatarmsq.jpg

Nord Pikemen
nordpikemen.jpg

Khergit Cataphracts:
khergitcataphracts.jpg

Nord Men-at-Arms
nordmenatarms.jpg

Nord Raiders
nordraiders.jpg

Rhodok Man-at-Arms
rhodokmanatarms.jpg

Rhodok Mounted Crossbowmen
rhodokmountedcrossbowma.jpg

Sarranid Pikemen
sarranidpikemen.jpg

Credits:
Narf of Picklestink for his plate armour pack
Dejawolf for his helmet pack
Everything else by me

Features in next version:
Half-swording: Pressing X (or the button you have assigned) while wielding a twohanded or bastard sword will change the animations to those of the War Hammer. You can't do sideways swings and overhead swings deal less damage, but thrust damage increases and you should still be capable of dealing damage at ranges where not even daggers can be wielded properly (i.e. they bounce off because your enemy is too close to you).
Troops Trees: Troop trees will be split into Rural Militia, Urban Militia and Professionals. No ideas needed for any faction.

awesome1.jpg

There are so many new models... i like it. Low tier units are still the same or you managed to give'em padded armours like in many renaissance militias ?

caprera said:
There are so many new models... i like it. Low tier units are still the same or you managed to give'em padded armours like in many renaissance militias ?
Currently they are still the same, though I'm reworking the troop trees. ASn thank you :grin:

I'm downloading this right now, and I really, really, like what you've done with it so far.

Now, as for suggestions for the Sarranids and Khergits:

Sarranids:  Perhaps you should look towards a strong Safavid influence with the Qizilbash as the elite corps, particularly for the upper levels of the Castle and Town trees, with an Azap tree (Turkish irregulars from the early Ottoman period...I know you don't want Ottoman units, but some variety is required) as the Village "regulars".  As for the lower levels of the city, perhaps Mamluks, as I'd imagine that, at least in Sarranid territories, you wouldn't be calling for free men, so much as buying slaves and calling upon the poorest who would sell themselves into slavery in hopes of glory and to alleviate the strain on their families.  These men woudl then be trained either as Mamluks, Ansar, or inducted as a Qizilbash, the first being just slave warriors as it were, the second being lightly equipped weapon masters (light armours, very high weapon skills proportionally speaking).  For the castles, I'm not entirely sure what to do, other than offer up Spahis (again in the Persian definition as "Soldier") as the Regulars.

The trees woudl be something like this:
Mamluk->Mamluk Infantryman (Mix of all sorts of 1-hand swords and spears)-->Mamluk Heavy Infantry (Halberds and the like)
----------------------------\------------->Ghulam Cavalry (Slave Elite Light Cavalry)
---------->Qizilbash Light Infantry->Qizilbash Archer
-----------------------------------\------->Qizilbash Guard (Elite Shield-using Infantry)->Qizilbash Bodyguard (Elite Heavy Cavalry)
---------->Ansar--->Ansar of the Blade (1-hand and 2-hand)-------->Master Ansar of the Blade
-------------------\-->Ansar of the Spear (Polearms)--------------------->Master Ansar of the Spear
--------------------\-->Ansar of the Air (Bows and Crossbows)---------->Master Ansar of the Air
Azap--->Azap Spearman-->Azap Pikeman
--------\->Azap Skirmisher-->Azap Veteran Skirmisher
---------------------------------->Azap Skirmish Cavalry
Spahi-->Spahi Infantry-->Spahi Sergeant
------\-------------------\---->Spahi Archer
--------\->Spahi Horse Archer-->Spahi Cavalry

Sorry if it's a bit of a mess.

To the Khergits, however...there's not really all that much I can imagine one can really do about it, except maybe give (some) of them crossbows, given how traditional they all are and all that.  Maybe though there should be a tree (Town?) where you create a foot militia that aren't on par with the "Western" factions, so perhaps a chain hauberk or simple breastplate at most in the way of "modern" protection, a fur or felt cap, and a mixed assortment of polearms and two-handed axes, a handful of spears and maces or overhand spears as well, and that's about it.

Have'nt tryed out that much but from what I saw the otherwice very good full plate armour is being overused. I found that almost every Rhodok and Svadian top tier units have them and that's not cool on my opinion. More diversity and different armor (including more different full plate armor, half plate etc) Makes the mod already more interesting.
Also something else is needed. One fullplate armor could not carry on my play for more than an hour and after that I played some other mod. This is just me so someone else might think othervise.
Maybe you could or should implemetn more metallic sound and other mini mods in your mod for a starters also.

caprera said:
Suggestion: make merchants dispose of much more money. As now it's hard to sell a good loot.

Try to divide the loot between all the merchants :wink:
Anyway, your idea is good.

The biggest thing bugging me in this mod is the use of shields, especially for the mounted men (And more so for the high tier mounted men) By the 15thC. shields had for the most part, disappeared due to the effectiveness of armour and deadliness of bills.
Very small shields did still exist, such as the buckler for infantry, and a small heater style shield for cavalry, about a foot in width at most, and only a little longer lengthways.
Also bear in mind that maille was much rarer among levy troops in the 15thC. Padded jacks (Bulky gambesons), sometimes with jack chains made up the majority of defence. Some troops would be outfitted with basic munitions grade breast plates and a helm.
If I were you, I'd try to push the use of billhooks over spears and pikes. It was the bill that actually caused the drop in the size of shields in the first place.

A complete remake of native would be best, IMO. Start with renaming factions to historical names, then troop trees, then equipment and finally lord names.
I did have a go at my own 15thC. mod one time. I just couldn't get together enough equipment to make it viable. Here's to hoping you don't end with the same problem.

Edit:
I consider myself fairly competant when it comes to the 15thC. battlefield. Should you require a historian for the mod, drop me a PM and we'll talk.

LittleJP said:
Gunpowder?

I'm pretty sure some use of it was common at the time.
Indeed, Arquebuses, matchlock muskets, and flintlock pistols! Also, you should make rapiers and broadswords, and give them to crossbowmen and sword & shield infantry.

Qwertypolk said:
A complete remake of native would be best, IMO. Start with renaming factions to historical names, then troop trees, then equipment and finally lord names.
if you decided to make a persian faction,i'll be glad to help you with names and other info.
in the game's native ,sarranids are completely based on arabs.

Back
Top Bottom