[B] SoundRound-ing

Users who are viewing this thread

Aeon

Squire
v3kmyb.png

SoundRound-ing will replace vanilla Mount & Blade Warband musics,
by high quality ambient soundtracks ;
in order to improve game immersivness.
Those soundscapes does not include any music.

SoundRound-ing will perform realistic and polished sound design
for greater experience on Warband.

* Released *

-  Download (mbrepository)

Sorry if name or description mod misunderstand, but it's basically a kind of new ambient soundtrack mod (not about voice or else).

-Edited :

OK. Initial project was "hurry-scurried" because of my excitation  :oops:
Now, new (and final) mod name / graphic. Audio work in progress.

*bump*

New little preview (on arena),
...video sucks but eye-candy aspect is not the point (it's just to follow ambience soundtrack).

I can't figure out how to download the opening soundtrack. Turned off popup blocker, still nothing.
The arena sounds great, much more subtle and atmospheric instead of the native constant, noisy bland sound.
(I'm guessing it's the arena sound loop you replaced and not the arena music).

Adorno said:
(I'm guessing it's the arena sound loop you replaced and not the arena music).
Actually no, this is arena music track I used as ambient soundtrack.
But I agree the native arena sound loop is bad, still I won't change it since I'm focusing on music tracks only. (more compliant with others mods  :smile: )

* Opening soundtrack link fixed *

Wow, awesome stuff, I really like what you are doing. It would be great if every time a significant blow was dealt in the arena you would hear louder hoots and hollers, although that probably requires too much coding to even consider.

Happy news ! Current statut > 50% Since I've finished all map travels soundtracks - :grin:

Before to start serious battlefield soundtracks (the "big part" of the mod), I need to chill my ears. So I'm working on short event soundtracks ("empty village", "captured", "escape", "defeated", "victorious", ...)
* Added preview : Escape *

Some progress, every short event soundtracks are done.

"victorious_evil" (short event music when looting a village) is available for preview, because few of you will never listen it (since they refuse to loot).

I can barely wait till this is finished! The previews give you some perfect pictures of the scenarios. :smile:

I've finished combat soundtracks :

- 3 generic battle soundtracks.
- 6 faction battle soundtracks (one for each faction), original game also use them as ambush (ambushed/attacked by faction).
- 1 siege loopable battle soundtrack.

If you expect furious and close fight sounds, you will be very disappointed !
Since battles may involve only a bunch of guys, and since contact could take some time (even if both side charge), I've worked low intensity background or distant ambience.
:arrow:  I say again : It is not designed to substitute scream & weapon default sounds.

If you wish to listen one of them as preview, tell me wich one and I will upload it.

This is interesting.

Some random suggestions:
1. For "event" tracks, like victory_evil, cut it shorter- maybe 15 seconds or so.  Put a sting at the start.  Even if it's not "music", it still needs some drama.  For example a track for being put into prison that started with a prison door slamming and some low guard muttering would be neat.

2.  Ambient needs to not obtrude too much, and fit the environment.  Ideally, it should set a mood without ever being contra-tempo to the battle.  Adorno's pack has been a big improvement over Native (imo), and my only quibbles are that there are sections with mic thuds and such that break the mood.  It'd be really kewl if you'd theme it for steppe, plains, desert and so on, so that we could program it to be used in the right context easily.  For example, some distant wind and some sand-rattle for deserts, and that crystal, muffled silence broken by the occasional animal sound for those snowy wastelands, would really be something cool.

3.  What we really really need is some music that fits the feel of the age without being dreadful, for use in towns, preferably mixed with crowd noise and various sounds of life.  The towns feel wooden, and a lot of it is the audio.  I've been reviewing period music, and, eh, most of it's pretty bland (polyphony was a new concept back then, lol) to modern ears, but some nicely-moving recorder / flute dances or something with a bit of energy would probably work, if mixed with noise to obliterate recording issues.

Anyhow, just random ideas, great foley and I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out :smile:

1. Unfortunelly I had to renounce to insert sting, since game does not play tracks "bang on the dot" (sometimes few seconds delay) so it would sound inappropriate to suddenly heard that once the scene already engaged. This is why TaleWorlds opted for fade in/out music soundtracks. About capture event sound, original game apply the same track if you are imprisoned (jail) or just kidnapped while in wilderness, so...  :neutral:

2. I tried to fit soundtracks to environement, just like you wish I hope.  :smile:
But I avoid wildlife sounds, since tracks should suit also for night time (game cannot manage day/night tracks)

3. I have only one town soundtrack (without music in order to match with every cultures), because player use menu shortcut and rarely walk in.
I preferred to focus on travel/battle soundtracks.

I had to renounce to insert sting, since game does not play tracks "bang on the dot" (sometimes few seconds delay)
That's no problem at all- instead of treating it as "music", it could be treated as a sound effect.  And code is allowed to call music at any time, it's just that Native used a cyclic trigger.  IOW, it's a non-problem, don't worry about it, there are various good solutions :smile:

(game cannot manage day/night tracks)
Native actually does have a tag for that, mtf_sit_night.  It could be invoked in the battle triggers easily enough.

3. I have only one town soundtrack (without music in order to match with every cultures), because player use menu shortcut and rarely walk in.
I preferred to focus on travel/battle soundtracks.
Players have to visit the Tavern on a regular basis, even in Native, and who knows, maybe Native will get lively towns that are interesting to visit soon, or some modder may do things to make it worth going there :smile:  But I totally agree, battle ambiances are far more important.

Back
Top Bottom