"Defendin & Attacking" options

Users who are viewing this thread

When going into a fight, there should be "attack" & "defend" options.
For example:

When overwhelmed by enemy, player could choose "defend" option. In that case his defending troops would spawn(depending wheter on plains or hills) onto a hilltop of some sort.

If attacking and outnumbering the AI in troop quality and numbers, AI could do the same.

When the both are even and equally seeking for battle, there would only be the "attack" option.

Etc. and so forth. Logically.

It could effect the positioning, as you say. It should effect the intial orders for the troops, at the very least. But, if you chose attack, and keep your troops from advancing, then that is no longer an attack. The best part of all this is that if both sides 'defend', then each should have a choice to leave the battle without an engagement. As a player, you can always count on the AI to advance on you, and take up a good position. This is utterly unreasonable if the enemy was running from you on the main map.

Volkier said:
I am 100% with the 'defencive / offencive' command.. Something like this:

Offencive
: All units will priotise on moving forward, getting in as many hits as possible, and will chase the enemies for a while (if told to hold position) - basically exactly what they do now.
Defencive : All units will stay in formation and WILL NOT MOVE if told to hold position. All units with shields will have shields up, and all units without would always priotize on parrying the incoming blows. Units will ONLY attack the opponent when one is in range, and is not attacking them (eg. attacking another unit on defence). Units will always parry / defend if they are the unit being attacked.

This would also get rid of the problem where by currently, the enemy and your unit will just swing at each other. Because the attack interrupts the other's swing, it is a matter of who started attacking first = win. (This has happened on every single occasion when I watch my unit go against the enemy - whoever starts swining first will always win.) Although the defencive may sound useless, it has a few advantages:

1) Because your units are close together in defencive mode, they act as a formation.
2) Because units in defencive mode still attack when the enemy is swinging for someone else, the enemy HAS to match your strength to at least 1 for 1 at close range, regardless of how much they outnumber you by.
3) Since currently commands can be given to separate squads, some units could be put on defencive, while others on offencive.
(eg. infantry defencive, hold position in front of archers,
      archers offencive, hold position behind infantry,
      cavalry defencive, follow me (circle around the enemy to their flank), offencive, charge)

Pretty much what I could think of regarding a few issues with commands at the moment ::smile:

Quoting myself from the AI DEFEND ME command thread which is on the same page in the forum (to avoid time). (Also, the initial idea spike was Delta's ::razz:)

Please read the stickies, and try to use the search function - especially when the topic in discussion is on the same page. This idea would be a great addition to the already going discussion, while starting a new thread just hinders it.

Welcome to the forums ::smile:

I'm talking about the pre-battle setup, not 'bout the commands. Ok, I might have put it in an obscure way but I ment my options to be valid when going into a fight, not IN the fight.

The problem is that you'd always pick defend then, because you'd get the terrain advantages. What I read into your post really excited me, because it would prevent a player from entering into a battle, without really attacking. I find it silly that a small force of river pirates that I track down, comes charging across the river to me, if I hold my troops back.

Back
Top Bottom