What are you reading now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Just finished Umberto Eco's Baudolino, big recommend if you like historical novels but want to dip your toes in something more substantial. It's like a romp through 12th century Europe with a multilingual compulsive liar for a protagonist, it's great.

ME2272.JPG

:cry:

Bunny Cookie Canada said:
Sol fa ut?!?! What the HELL is UT
It is Do (C)

I guess they use Do to start with a consonant, easier to sol-fa.

Do you know the names come from an Hymne to saint Jean-Baptiste composed by Guido d'Arezzo ?

UT queant laxis / Pour que puissent
REsonare fibris / résonner des cordes
MIra gestorum / détendues de nos lèvres
FAmili tuorum, / les merveilles de tes actions,
SOLve polluti / ôte le péché,
LAbii reatum, / de ton impur serviteur,
Sancte Iohannes. / ô Saint Jean.

LeChat said:
Bunny Cookie Canada said:
Sol fa ut?!?! What the HELL is UT
It is Do (C)

I guess they use Do to start with a consonant, easier to sol-fa.

Do you know the names come from an Hymne to saint Jean-Baptiste composed by Guido d'Arezzo ?

UT queant laxis / Pour que puissent
REsonare fibris / résonner des cordes
MIra gestorum / détendues de nos lèvres
FAmili tuorum, / les merveilles de tes actions,
SOLve polluti / ôte le péché,
LAbii reatum, / de ton impur serviteur,
Sancte Iohannes. / ô Saint Jean.
I didn't know that :cool:

Last book i read was a year ago, it was Herodotus' "History", that was a great read, not the greatest literary work, but boy was it revealing for me.....how people of ancient world had connections between them, and how Herodotus managed to get the hold of all the info, from ancient scripts to "grandmas old tales" also his unbiase is amazing, he leaves space for open interpretation of events he was writing, there are no "good guys" and "bad guys", there are only real true human reasons, interest and such.
I recommend with all my heart !

Long ago i read "De bellum gallicum" by Gaius Iulius, and it was ok, very specificaly ...strategic.

But now after a year or so i started reading clinical psychiatrist dr Jordan Petersons "12 rules for life: antidote for chaos", and i must say i am enchanted. I found this guy on youtube first, then i bought his book, and this is the most eye-opening work i've come across, ever since Zeitgeist. Although it sounds as an easy life-coaching book, it is NONE of the sort! It is 1600 scientific works about human brain chemistry and human behaviour management, it is totaly insane !
I've bought it few months ago only because it has a chapter about child upbringing, but i havent gotten to that part, and i am even more amazed than what i heard from him on youtube. I just dont have much time to read it now, and when i do, i play Bannerlord beta  :grin: .
Peterson got into worldwide spotlight when he oposed the Canadian law of mandatory gender pronouns for citizens. You guys can check some of his lectures recorded while he worked ar University of Toronto, they are really amazing , so maybe it will pull you in to buy one of this books too !

After i finish this one, next on my wishlist is "De administrando imperio" by Constantine Porphyrogenetos, it has been on my wishlist for over a decade, but somehow i never got a hold of it, and always read some secondary book instead. . .

Reading a friend’s Dphil thesis on hard positivism and Raz. I used to think positivism was at least friendly to legal conservatism but he argues that ‘proportionate’ ‘equality’ ‘self-defence’ ‘honesty’ ‘reasonable’ ‘self defence’ and many other terms in laws are moral and allow the judges to create law by making a moral judgment. He also argues that judges need to be educated in moral philosophy and political philosophy to be able to adequately interpret those laws etc.

I'm still reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I'm struggling a little with the last third now that Liu Bei and Cao Cao are out and the titular three kingdoms are established, I'm finding this part less engaging but I still want to see it through to the end.

Antonis said:
Ah, a fellow student of the Classics. You read them in English or the original text?
You kinda lost me at Jordan Peterson, though.  :razz:
:grin:
De bellum gallicum in english, and Herodotus in my native language, although i learnt latin in school, i am nowhere near the level of reading a whole book writen in it  :oops:
I think there was also translated de bellum gallicum to my language at the time, but i kind of ran into an english version, and grabbed the oportunity, 12 euros for a piece like that was not much even that many years ago.

I must mention that i have half-read Will To Power, mostly because i started reading it during my masters studies, and it was kind of a tough read, so i transfered to a bit "easier" books later on, and kind of forgotten about it.

Also, if i finnish Jordan Peterson soon enough, and i dont find De administrando imperio in the meantime, i have 2 ready brand new classics:  "Apology of Socrates" and "Democracy".

I must admit i felt the need to buy them only after i finished Assassins Creed Odisey  :grin:

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
He also argues that judges need to be educated in moral philosophy and political philosophy to be able to adequately interpret those laws etc.
And they're not? What is law but morality. All the way from Aristotle to Beccaria or John Lock, they're two sides of the same coin.
Also, what is Raz?

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
Reading a friend’s Dphil thesis on hard positivism and Raz. I used to think positivism was at least friendly to legal conservatism but he argues that ‘proportionate’ ‘equality’ ‘self-defence’ ‘honesty’ ‘reasonable’ ‘self defence’ and many other terms in laws are moral and allow the judges to create law by making a moral judgment. He also argues that judges need to be educated in moral philosophy and political philosophy to be able to adequately interpret those laws etc.
Is this in any way surprising?

Adorno said:
Also, what is Raz?
Joseph Raz is a legal philosopher.

Back
Top Bottom