Thoughts on Mount n Blade

Users who are viewing this thread

hoam

Recruit
Hi, I've only tried M&B for a few hours, and so far it hasn't been disappointing. However, though the core gameplay is very good, immersion has been marred here and there. No doubt there is still room for improvements

The main issue that was distracting was the lack of a detailed city. It mattered because I spend a lot of time in my RPGs running through cities, talking to NPCs, comparing prices and trading. I just felt compelled to run out of the city because of the lack of gorgeous skyboxes. It was stunning to behold the view when I fought outside of the city, but in Zergan, the city looked like a post-apocalyptic area. The distractions, imho, lie with the skyboxes, the lack of any civilian NPCs (esp in the jousting arena) and the fact that all dungeons including the Count's house look identical to the merchant's shop I had been to 10 mins ago

The world map also looks a little bland. I was looking at the thread comparing M&B to Darklands, and I remember that Darklands' map of Germany was distinctively drawn. There were fields of grain, rivers, forests etc. It was drawn with simple colours, yet very detailed. It was almost like looking at Google Earth...well almost...

The music is fitting, but sound effects could be better. I would have loved to hear birds chirping during daytime, and maybe the sound of city folk chattering and going about their own business, and people shouting. Would really really change the whole experience

I've found a problem with the character menu too - there's a + box, but no - box, so when I make a booboo, I have to click on Reset Changes. Not a big problem thoguh

I'm quite impressed though, that the game is done by just 2 people. The core combat itself is already a landmark in gaming history - I've not seen such immersive yet simple sparring since Blade of Darkness. Good job on this one :smile:

Zergan, the city looked like a post-apocalyptic area
this isn't starcraft :razz:

all dungeons including the Count's house look identical
aren't really any dungeons in this game...

but the game is still in beta, and the new update (.730) has made some huge differences, i wouldn't be suprized if the next updates make just as huge a difference.

P.S. welcome to mount & blade :wink:

I think all your observations were keen and legitimate. My understaning is that most of the things you mention haven't been addressed yet. It's funny you mention the cities. They are brand new as of very recently. All of us here are used to looking at menus instead, so we love `em. :wink:

The only thing you mention I'm not confident we'll see change much are the sound effects. I don't think game developers use temporary SFX. Too bad, but this is an indy title, after all.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

=$= Big J Money =$=

patrick: oops by dungeons, I meant interiors like taverns and castles. And zergan = zendar. Poor memory is accountable for that :smile:

big j: Yeah I would have preferred menus and text based options. Not much use having cities when there really isn't anything to do or interact with

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! :smile:

On the sidenote, just in case anyone who's into modding is wondering where they can get some good sounds, Audiosparx has some fantastic audio. I got many sounds there when I was modding for Doom 3

Hoam. Would i suggest that you travel around to some of teh other city's, and go to some of the places which have just recently been updated with completly origional new interiors. there have only been 15 or so done, but Armagan has only just hired teh new Artistic guys who are doing them, so after a few new updates they'll all be looking sweet.
All of the other ideas have been mentioned a lot, and have popular support, and quite a few of the features in M&B now have been added beacause the community was in popular support of them, so, by the time when 1.00 rolls around, M&B will, IMHO, ne a lot like what you want.

Like Zendar's tavern? That's very re-assuring, thanks :smile:

I don't see why I shouldn't buy a license key today :grin:

I did a search on audiosparx and I found some great sound effects

Chatter Cheerful 1
Chatter Cheerful 2
Chatter Female
Casual bar crowd talking
Buzzing crowd

And many more if you do a search for "talking" at audiosparx

I'll be glad to sponsor some of these sounds as they aren't free, and since M&B is a no-budget game, I'll be all the more glad to help out a little. How do I contact the developers?

As regards to music, when I was modding, I also had the help of a musician. I could contact him again if the devs require assistance in music. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom