The Saga of Arthur - An idea that needs help

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi all! I'm from twcenter, I know there are quite a few fellow twcenter people here too. I'm not a modder so I'm simply bringing an idea to the table that I hope takes root. I have worked as a historian for 1 samurai mod for RTW, and I've worked as sort of a resource gathering guy for a Mesoamerican mod for RTW.

This mod would simply require:

*New Map
*Name changes
*New characters
*New units to replace the current ones
*Reskins
*Possibly some new models
*Maybe new music of which I can provide

Now as far as resource pictures, information and all that I can get that, epsecially since a bery good Arthurian mod for RTW has been underway for several months now, I'm sure they wouldnt mind if we used thier concept art and all that.

So the idea was born out of my mind when playing and noticing how perfectly suited the story of Arthur is for this game. King Arthur and his knights, as indivudual warriors, the smaller scale battles of the period were very common whiel there were also bigger ones. All that stuff would be perfect for this game.

The factions I'm not completely sure of but we could decide for sure later on. I was thinking 4, Saxons, Romano-British type faction that Arthur would lead, Merlin's Celtic British faction, and maybe the Picts?

Irish mercenaries, Scottish mercenaries and Roman Legionaires who stayed could appaear as people to recruit, and the knights we could decide later.

Basically I'm just putting my idea on the table for ya'll to think on. I would really appreciate it if I could get a team. I think this would be a great mod.

*People needed*

Skinners
Moddellers
Coders for implementing the changes
Map Maker

No new scripts or complicated stuff like that.

I can possibly get my own map maker by the way. Possibly.

So what do ya'll think?

depends which story of Arthur you want to use. I suggest the Warlord trilogy by Bernard Cornwell because it's cuts away all that heroic crap about knights in shining armour.

[EDIT] unless you want knights in shining armour that is :razz:

Thats exactly what I was thinking of using. I'm reading Enemy of God right now, only on the first chapter, and it's my first book in the series. It's so good though.

I have to say that i´m not so excited. Because just new items,music,units and such things wont have the flair, which the Arthur Sagas has to offer.

A good story, would be a lot more important, at least for me.
I dont say this mod would be bad, but i´m just not so excited about it! :wink:

I know all about them, I mentioned them in my introduction post, and yes thier very much active nad well. Look on twcenter.net forums for them.

Lu Bu, I dunno about implementing a story line into Mount & Blade, I mean it'd be great I'm sure but you know hafta wait and see.

Actually i tkae that back. I was justreading about the quest to get back the Cauldron in this book here. That would work as a quest. Open for brainstorming and ideas! Please post them here!

I had some arthurian heroes in mag-7 and came pretty close to doing athur instead of lotr for my latest mod.

Its a good concept for a mod and well suited for M&B. Good luck with it.

Sword of Cao Cao said:
Thats exactly what I was thinking of using. I'm reading Enemy of God right now, only on the first chapter, and it's my first book in the series. It's so good though.

cool, but nooooo read the Winter King first.

This would probably work best as a story mod.

The library only has Enemy of God.

I'm going to try my hand at making my own map, so hopefully that will attract some people.

Also if I can learn how to reskin shields and such I should be good..

Should I include Ireland and Scotland?

I for one think a magical, chivalric version of King Arthur like in the Middle Age tales would be better. A good story line (and there are so many ready-made for you in the tales) would be essential. Also I think there is a lack of this chivalric 'shining knights' theme in M&B Vanilla - the armor and weaponry is more for a 'realistic' mercenary bands setting.

I had some arthurian heroes in mag-7 and came pretty close to doing athur instead of lotr for my latest mod.

Its a good concept for a mod and well suited for M&B. Good luck with it.

Too bad you did not put it to a vote 8(
although I probably would have been out voted. :cool:

Sorry m8, I prefer realism. Besides it would be much more varied and interesting if we stick to realism. With the knights in shining armour tihng it's cliche and unoriginal. With hisotrical, you've got a taste of everything. Vikings (Saxons), Celts, Romans, Dark Age knights, a slew of different weapons and types of units. From Irish Greatsowrdsmen to Pictish Corssbowmen to Roman Legionnaires to Saxons.

It'll be great!

So any one like ot help me make tihs a reality?

Sword of Cao Cao said:
The library only has Enemy of God.

I'm going to try my hand at making my own map, so hopefully that will attract some people.

Also if I can learn how to reskin shields and such I should be good..

Should I include Ireland and Scotland?

Shame, can't you order it in? My local library gives me that option.

Ireland no, south of scotland yes, find out where Hadrians wall is and make it up to there.

http://www.regia.org/listings.htm here is a fairly good site about Saxons and Brits.

Make the shields bigger and remember that Gwent's style of weapons borrowed a bit from the Romans.

a few points:

1. Mail armour was rare, most was thick leather.
2. The spear was the most common weapon of this era.
3. Bows where not really used in warfare, by the saxons or the brits
4. The book does mention throwing spears though
5. Arthurs heavy calvary kicks some serious ass but most if not all other mounted were used as scouts.
6. Romans were no where to be seen at this point, but Gwent's troops are close enough.
7. Don't know about crossbowmen.

[EDIT] I will help you as much as skill and time permit.

Sorry m8, I prefer realism. Besides it would be much more varied and interesting if we stick to realism. With the knights in shining armour tihng it's cliche and unoriginal. With hisotrical, you've got a taste of everything. Vikings (Saxons), Celts, Romans, Dark Age knights, a slew of different weapons and types of units. From Irish Greatsowrdsmen to Pictish Corssbowmen to Roman Legionnaires to Saxons.

It'll be great!

He may have been referring to the modern knights in shining armor cliche, maybe not. The only Arthur Ive read is the original Le Morte D'Arthur and it has all the factions you mention above (including rome), is gritty and very bloody but is also a chivalric fantasy with a few giants, wizards, old fashioned questing, enchanted artifacts and heaping doses of morality tests.

I like my arthur either way but I wouldnt say one is more or less interesting than the other.

Hey Cao im new to the forum i just wanted to say good luck with your mod im goind to make my mod bases on the Excalibur movie so if you need help with your mod ill be here to help i also am a really big fan of arthierian legend cya.

Sword of Cao Cao said:
Hi all! I'm from twcenter, I know there are quite a few fellow twcenter people here too. I'm not a modder so I'm simply bringing an idea to the table that I hope takes root. I have worked as a historian for 1 samurai mod for RTW, and I've worked as sort of a resource gathering guy for a Mesoamerican mod for RTW.

This mod would simply require:

*New Map
*Name changes
*New characters
*New units to replace the current ones
*Reskins
*Possibly some new models
*Maybe new music of which I can provide

Now as far as resource pictures, information and all that I can get that, epsecially since a bery good Arthurian mod for RTW has been underway for several months now, I'm sure they wouldnt mind if we used thier concept art and all that.

So the idea was born out of my mind when playing and noticing how perfectly suited the story of Arthur is for this game. King Arthur and his knights, as indivudual warriors, the smaller scale battles of the period were very common whiel there were also bigger ones. All that stuff would be perfect for this game.

The factions I'm not completely sure of but we could decide for sure later on. I was thinking 4, Saxons, Romano-British type faction that Arthur would lead, Merlin's Celtic British faction, and maybe the Picts?

Irish mercenaries, Scottish mercenaries and Roman Legionaires who stayed could appaear as people to recruit, and the knights we could decide later.

Basically I'm just putting my idea on the table for ya'll to think on. I would really appreciate it if I could get a team. I think this would be a great mod.

*People needed*

Skinners
Moddellers
Coders for implementing the changes
Map Maker

No new scripts or complicated stuff like that.

I can possibly get my own map maker by the way. Possibly.

So what do ya'll think?

It sounds like a good idea, it also sounds like you've recently got hold of Osprey's Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars. :grin:

The trouble with coool ambitious mods is that you will need a whole lot of new textures and meshes to create Late-Roman armour and weapons etc. :sad:

see this is my opinion i think it would be good to base it on one of the books like im basing mine on the 80s movie just so you got a good story to follow and it would be easy to follow the new movie they have romen mods out it should be easy to get info on it good luck with your mod man.

The real problem is which Arthur to choose.  Since there is already and 'Excalibur' mod at the begining of development, either the two groups should work together, or this one should be very different. Taking a bent on a 'historical' Arthur is weird. It seems very unlikely that a lot of the common stories can be taken as being from one period. For example, the roots of the story are in (pre-Roman) Celtic myths, there is what seems a fair contribution from Constantine of Britain (who was proclaimed Emporer by his troops, conquered much of the West), and finally the supposed setting in the time of the germanic invasions. Certainly, anything other than the last wouldn't really 'feel' like Arthur (but then again, it wouldn't without the chivalry, which was one of the latest additions), but this would probably be the least likely to be historicaly accurate. Many of the characters seem to come from these very different periods - Gawain fairly early for example, while Lancelot is almost certainly an addition from very late (although perhaps originating in one of the early tales as a minor character). Finding the names which would fit for any particular period, in and of itself, would be quite a chore. One of the biggest problems is trying to settle on the name which King Arthur should have.

Edit: Let me amend the claim that these are Celtic myths. That is unestablished. But, the Celts had these myths, perhaps from an earlier people.

Back
Top Bottom