Mod Merge/Diff Tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Effidian

Recruit
Okay, so I've started with functionality to merge 2 different mods. Here is how I'm thinking it would work. Let me know what you think.

1. Merge: Takes 2 mods and merges them into a single mod. Various options are available during the merge process (always take new records, always take changes from modX, never take changes... etc) to make the merge as simple as possible.

2. Diff: Diffs two mods and provides a package that has only the differences between the mods.

Now, here is how I think it could work. Let's say you add a couple new items. Right now, it is a pain to tell others how they can use those items. So, let's say you use the tool to get a diff of your new items compared to the original mod you added them to. Then you can put the diff up and instructions to run the merge tool to add your mod to *any* existing mod.

Hmmm... and maybe we have an online repository of these mods. We could have a UI that looked online for mods to download and allowed you to download and install them dynamically. It could even make you toast... :smile: I'm obviously getting ahead of myself.

Any comments on the merge functionality?

Sounds good, I like the toast idea.

Seriously though... it would be pretty useful, but I think once people have merged a few things in and have a totally different mod to anyone else, its gonna be rather tricky merging anything new into it. Will be very useful for large mod teams though :smile:

Really I was thinking more about mods like this. That requires you to overwrite several files just to add a new sword. So you can't add it if you have already modded those files. Imagine if he just put up a diff and then the tool could add that to any mod you are using.

It might be useful for large mods when a new version of M&B comes out to update the items that they still use from Native.

Initially I was thinking it may be interesting to have the editor dump out the python scripts. But the more I thought about it the less advantage I saw in doing that. (It may still be worth doing, but I can't figure out why at the moment.)

the problem with this is that if people don't conform to a standard (say mapping co-ordinates for weapons) then changes to the DDS files will overwrite other changes. An example. My throwing hammers used a small section of unused space on the weapons1.dds file. it wasn't too important, and I will map it properly before I release a bunch of weapons and stuff. Say someone comes along and makes his own custom mappings and textures added to weapons1.dds, could possibly delete the others textures. Also, what about duplicating a name?

(devil's advocate)

It sure would be nice to have that kind of tool. It would sure help us, who dont understand much about modding. :oops:

This tool would be nice for modders too, aim for the uber mod which included the best from every single mod!

I wonder what the status of this thing is...

I like the idea - I am developing 2 or 3 mods parallel, and although they are all different, I would like to be able to copy stuff from one to the other without having to rewrite it all. Sounds like this will be possible with the merge function.

As far as weapons & armours goes, so far I've redrawn existing costumes.dds files to get my own, but I like the idea of being able to add new files...

Amman d' Stazia said:
As far as weapons & armours goes, so far I've redrawn existing costumes.dds files to get my own, but I like the idea of being able to add new files...
Well, you can already add new DDS and BRF files, if that's what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom