Mod Idea: A song of ice and fire (ASOIAF)

Users who are viewing this thread

sheek

Knight at Arms
Old Guard
Hi. I've been playing this game for about three weeks. It's great for the game play but the world and everything else is a big let down. What would be even greater would be a mod to give the world you play in a real story and atmosphere with factions, quests plots and so on.

My suggestion for this would be to use the world of fantasy author George R R Martin's 'Westeros' (or Seven Kingdoms) which is the setting of the book series called A Song of Ice and Fire. In many ways I think it is ideal for the gameplay as it is already designed. The region the books are set in is plunged into 'total warfare' on the death of the old King and half a dozen (with new ones appearing all the time) factions struggle to try to say they have the true legitimacy along with many unaligned rogues and bandits trying to profit from the confusion. It is also a very 'gritty', brutal realistic medieval world where there isn't much magic, no healing potions, superhuman heroes, strange races and so on - nearly all the factions and characters are as much 'bad' as they are 'good'. Also there is no 'central plot' but dozens of different plots going on at the same time which means that unlike some books or settings M&B's 'open-ended' structure is ideal and it would be relatively simple to make an enjoyable game.

Has anybody read these books? If so what do you think of this idea being used as a mod for M&B? I am trying to get some people from a forum I visit that's based on these books interested in M&B but so far I haven't got much response. But I think if we can get ten or so people interested with the right skills.

Here's a website where you can learn more about ASOIAF if you are interested:

http://www.westeros.org/

It would be incredibly stupid of the publisher / author if there was.

Pretty sure there is cos a huge LOTR-total conversion for Morrowind was broken down because the copyrights.

I would say there almost definately is.

sheek said:
It would be incredibly stupid of the publisher / author if there was.
It would be incredibly stupid of the publisher / author if there wasn't. Then anyone could just make money from his work without his authorisation.

you can just make everything with generic names and such. Thats what most star wars mods have to do.

You can basically do what you like as long as your not making money from it. But it would be a kind gesture to ask the author of the original work if he is ok with his story being used. Maybe he would be even interested in supporting this effort, because it spreads the word about his books too.

I would not compare this to LOTR, where lots of people make millions from original merchandise products. They don't want any modders to mess with the daily fuel-up for their ferraris and boats. Its a different thing.

pere said:
You can basically do what you like as long as your not making money from it. But it would be a kind gesture to ask the author of the original work if he is ok with his story being used. Maybe he would be even interested in supporting this effort, because it spreads the word about his books too.

I would not compare this to LOTR, where lots of people make millions from original merchandise products. They don't want any modders to mess with the daily fuel-up for their ferraris and boats. Its a different thing.

Is LOTR not allowing modding?

I am going to send a short message to the author. Originally I thought this was a waste of his time which is why I didn't do this first.

So are any of you reading ASOIAF? If you're interested there is a forum here about it where I have a thread about this topic - see 'object of ice and fire' forum:

p080.ezboard.com/basoiaf

Cor Shan said:
I am finished a Clash of Kings I think, and am looking for Storm of Swords.

Like it. I got book three in two parts, it's not one book. It was meant to be but was split because it was so long. The fourth book should be selling in september.

I've read all of them about 5 times, and the two Dunk & Egg novellas. Great, great series. Can't wait for #4. :razz:

The first time I loaded this game up, being a huge GRRM fan, I realized how perfect the game would be for making a Westeros themed mod. I really hope this mod gets off the ground.

ME TOO..GRRM IS KING OF THE WORLD..

Not really...but I think a mod of this story would definately fit perfectly...If you get a big team of people together I'd love to help.

Jet

You guys do want to work on this?

If so, three maybe four of us so far.

We'll have to wait at least until the modding tools come out.

------

Sheek
Bigwig
Jetman
Trajanus

So what are your skills? Can you do modelling, scripting, story lines or what?

My idea was not to really do any major remodelling, retexturing. The base game and addons already made give us enough different weapons, armors and so on. Maybe we could retexture shields to have the symbols of the different houses?

I have an idea of the map area it should take place in. Tell me what you think of this. The era would be late AGOT to early ASOS (books 1-3).

westeros-mb.jpg

Can be the red box or blue box.

Factions?

Lannisters
Tullys
Starks
Freys
Greyjoys?

Back
Top Bottom