whistle for my horse

Users who are viewing this thread

dorni

Recruit
I'd like to be able to call my horse to come to me. Sometimes I dismount and fight, and find I've wandered far afield from my trusty steed. A whistle could bring him galloping back to me.

I don't know why, but this smells a bit too arcadish for my taste. I know there are horses that come to you when called, but how hard it would be to train. Atleast this feature should only apply from courser to more expensive steeds.

aww, yer gonna take out all the fun

Its so fun to fight your way, dodging arrows and javelins to get back to your lazy horse! and if you die, well at least you can blame the horse :smile:

Ian

Xiphos said:
I like the idea. To keep the difficulty of training a horse to do it, just limit it to those with a higher riding skill. Makes sense.

And/or it could also depend on a certain number of days together, too. A new horse wouldn't respond to you, but after you've gained experience together, you'd forge a bond.

ilex said:
I don't know why, but this smells a bit too arcadish for my taste. I know there are horses that come to you when called, but how hard it would be to train. Atleast this feature should only apply from courser to more expensive steeds.

I actually whistle for my horses when taking them from their grazing land to the stable every afternoon. Most people train their horses to respond to whistles or yells and it's not at all hard. I'm not sure that they would respond in the midst of battle though with alot of other sounds and the horse beeing nervous etc. It's kind of amazing that the horses in M&B just stay put where you leave them in the first place :wink:

Moved this topic out to the main forum since it's a fairly often suggested topic and makes more sense now that horses run around by themselves when they have no rider.

Does every little suggestion for horses need to go there?
It could, but that could get rather confusing in my opinion and hard to find certain suggestions among the pages of ideas (already has, methinks).

Wow. I was surprised to see this thread resurrected a full year after I'd started it.

re: the idea that this is some kind of magic, I think that distance from the animal has to be taken into account. I know that distance is not taken into account in other communications (for example, no matter how far away I am from my men, I can issue a "follow me" command and they'll come to where I am) but I think it would certainly be realistic to expect a horse to come when called if (1) the horse can hear you, i.e. distance, (2) you've worked with the animal long enough to establish communication, i.e. time riding (3) the horse and the rider are skilled, i.e. the riding levels.

Janus said:
Does every little suggestion for horses need to go there?
It could, but that could get rather confusing in my opinion and hard to find certain suggestions among the pages of ideas (already has, methinks).

But I'll still try to keep a consolidated library of horse suggestions there though ::smile:
(and this actually was missing from the list - added and linked now)

As for my point of view, and how realistic this would be - it is relatively easy and possible to train a horse to respond to a whistle by running up to the person. I'm not sure how well that was utilized in war however ::smile: I personally would think a good way to impliment this, would be as a horse "skill" to every specific horse, which would require time to train - however that would involve implimenting the entire horse skill system ::\

maybe a large gong or war drum could be used to bring the horse back. Just whip it out and play away....... or not

You could have a whistle made of silver installed into the helmet. This way it might be loud enough to hear over the din of battle.

Or your horse could be protective of you and just stay with you instead of prancing around and running you down just in time to lower your shield so that couched lance hits you square in the head.

how the hell would your horse be able to hear a whistle when its running around a raging battlefield??

Back
Top Bottom