Warband in Linux

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey, guys. I'm running on Ubuntu 12.10. I have a problem with version 1.158. I don't know what kind of information you need, so I will just make it short. Armors or shields with custom texture (banner) like heraldic coat appear black, or just a simple color like white, red, etc. I don't know what causes it. It happens on Native and other mods. I didn't get this bug on previous versions. The rgl_log.txt shows no missing texture or anything either.

How are you running it? With PlayOnLinux (would be the easiest one to just play with the settings and see what happens^^)?
I can't really try it myself before next monday, so I can only guess and try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge.

Thallian said:
How are you running it? With PlayOnLinux (would be the easiest one to just play with the settings and see what happens^^)?
I can't really try it myself before next monday, so I can only guess and try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks for the reply. I just run it on Wine. Well, I played the previous versions on PlayOnLinux before a particular event where I had to re-install my OS. I will try it tonight.

I've played with the settings. Tried to run with minimum setting, and stuff, but the problem is still there.

EDIT: I've tried it on PlayOnLinux and there's no difference.

Sky Warden said:
Armors or shields with custom texture (banner) like heraldic coat appear black, or just a simple color like white, red, etc.
I also run 1.158 on linux, but mainly just developing and testing MP mods: I don't quite remember what I learned in the past about that problem, but I have had the black tableau textures as well, and I think it was to do with running out of video memory. Checking the "force single threading" option in the launcher might have helped with it, or maybe it was adjusting the "render_buffer_size" option in ".wine/drive_c/users/<your user name>/My Documents/Mount&Blade Warband/rgl_config.txt"; you could search the forum for "render_buffer_size" for more information.

Vornne said:
Checking the "force single threading" option in the launcher might have helped with it.

It did. The option on my launcher is bugged. The tabs didn't show up, so I had to edit the config file myself. Thank you very much! :grin:

I'm actually a developer, but I don't know much about graphic. :oops:

Have been putting a dual boot Windows 7 - Ubuntu 14.04, I must say I prefer Warband on Windows.
More fluid, less buggy, if Linux could correctly support games, it'd make it the best OS.
But eh.. I guess I'll continue using it for technical stuff then.

Hello, I recently got Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and I found it pretty neat. I managed to install Steam through Wine and Warband through that. Initially I had some trouble with mouse sensitive, internet lag spikes and choppy video but I managed to fix all those and now my Warband runs pretty well. I only got a slight fps drop and multiplayer works great. I only have two problems now, my configuration menu is missing (but I can change settings through the text file) and my steam overlay is not working well, lots of missing text.

And my question is, how would I install PW mod on my Warband?

EDIT: Nevermind I managed to copy my PW folder to the Wine C Drive directory by searching drive in the dash. Dumb me! If anyone has found a fix for the steam overlay problem please share!

tehc said:
Listings for Linux and Mac versions of the game recently appeared on SteamDB: http://steamdb.info/app/48700/history/.
Yep, Captain Lust made an announcement that M&B is now available natively on mac and linux: http://steamcommunity.com/games/mb_warband/announcements/detail/1534915349228263615

I'm having terrible FPS when playing multiplayer on native-linux-client. Multiplayer on either Windows or Linux with wine works just fine on my machine though. Playing singleplayer works with great FPS aswell on native-linux-client.

Character isn't saved on multiplayer either, I have to create a new one after restarting M&B.

Mouse 5 and mouse 4-buttons on QPAD 5K is not bindable either, which they are on the windows version of M&B.

So there's some problems still, for me multiplayer is unplayable on the native client.

This game seems interesting to me, as soon as I saw the beta native linux I bought it and tried.
I added italian translation files but I not found how to use them, game's configure not allow select it, can somebody help me please?
I also saw that in game's configure there are also few resolution selectable, it lacks the most widespread 1366x768 and others.
@Developers: You can add other resolutions to configure please?

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

EDIT:
Solved italian language problem changing it in ~/.mbwarband/language.txt

this is the output of the log (/home/USER/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/MountBlade Warband/rgl_log.txt):

Starting new log file.
Version: 1.158

--------------------------------------------
very explanatory... :roll:

every other game I run works just fine, but when I try and run M&B Warband - the window shows up then turns grey after 5 seconds.

It doesn't completely crash, it just sits there. I've left it running like that for about an hour yesterday; didn't do anything, just a sad greyed window.

Some other games I have do the exact same thing at startup but they actually start running after 15-20 seconds

I use AMD's proprietary driver 14.2 (generated distribution specific driver), it's the most stable on my system so far and I've tried many different open source drivers - none come close to the performance I get with this driver set.

PLEASE FIX THIS - I LOVE THIS GAME - THIS WILL BE THE ONLY GAME I PLAY UNTIL BANNERLORD

EDIT:  If it's not completely obvious already, I am running the beta linux client - no WINE

Ubuntu 14.04 xfce (no unity crap here)
AMD FX-8150 @ 4.5 Ghz
12GB RAM @ 2133
Radeon HD 7850 2GB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit #2:

turns out it was steam's fault

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3280

anyone who is still having problems running the game - all you have to do is rename the file 'libgcc_s.so.1'

for me this was in the dir - '/home/USER/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/'

have fun with this awesome game!

I hear Warband is available on Linux via steam now, I have the non steam version, is there any way of getting it for linux without having to buy it twice?

Nevermind, sorted it, got my serial from Avangate again, fed it to steam and it recognised it and is installing it as I speak. :smile:

Hello,

Please I really need help. I cannot find the saved game folder on Linux Steam for Warband.
I spent a lot of time trying all folders but didn't find it.

Thanks

I installed Warband from Steam to my brother's computer that runs on Ubuntu 14.04. Steam installs the game normally, and creates an icon on desktop, but when I try to either run it from the icon on desktop or press play in steam, the computer freezes, and the desktop kind of jumps an inch to the left. The mouse cursor still moves, but other than that the computer doesn't respond. The executables (wb for linux or something like that...) that are in the Warband folder do not respond for some reason.

I installed the game using the same version I bought for PC some years ago, and it is presently installed on my own PC. Could that be a problem? Should I buy a separate version for Ubuntu?

I've been reading through a lot of topics about Warband problems on Ubuntu, but nobody seems to have had the same problem as I have.

The GPU is ATI Radeon x1950 Gt, and it should be supported by open drivers. Don't remember what the processor is, but I can check that later. The Motherboard is Asus P5B-MX.

Sound Chaser said:
I installed Warband from Steam to my brother's computer that runs on Ubuntu 14.04. Steam installs the game normally, and creates an icon on desktop, but when I try to either run it from the icon on desktop or press play in steam, the computer freezes, and the desktop kind of jumps an inch to the left. The mouse cursor still moves, but other than that the computer doesn't respond. The executables (wb for linux or something like that...) that are in the Warband folder do not respond for some reason.

I installed the game using the same version I bought for PC some years ago, and it is presently installed on my own PC. Could that be a problem? Should I buy a separate version for Ubuntu?

I've been reading through a lot of topics about Warband problems on Ubuntu, but nobody seems to have had the same problem as I have.

The GPU is ATI Radeon x1950 Gt, and it should be supported by open drivers. Don't remember what the processor is, but I can check that later. The Motherboard is Asus P5B-MX.

Shader compilation on the first launch takes some time on Linux unfortunately. If you have a slow CPU, it makes it even worse. Try waiting for about 40 seconds.

Maybe this will help someone maybe not. But I recently dropped windows 7 from my main desktop do to Java 8 security issues. It was my main gamming system which included warband and several mods and DLC via steam. That said I discovered the lack of a proper game interface lunch window for the 64 bit linux version. You click the game it just loads, no game setting tweaks like "Enable Cheats" nor the load mods screen even thought I got all my DLC mods from steam installed there was no way to load them.  I have managed to get into the config file directly there housed in the Home/.mbwarband folder and the file dealing with game settings like "Enable cheats" is rgl_config.txt any old text file editor should do the trick for tweaking those settings. Now as for accessing the mods and DLC's I haven't tried it yet but I will probably just do a copy of Native mob and rename that original as a backup folder then merger the mods folder into the native so it loads. I figure that way I have least amount of texture errors and isses.

GameDrifter said:
Maybe this will help someone maybe not. But I recently dropped windows 7 from my main desktop do to Java 8 security issues. It was my main gamming system which included warband and several mods and DLC via steam. That said I discovered the lack of a proper game interface lunch window for the 64 bit linux version. You click the game it just loads, no game setting tweaks like "Enable Cheats" nor the load mods screen even thought I got all my DLC mods from steam installed there was no way to load them.  I have managed to get into the config file directly there housed in the Home/.mbwarband folder and the file dealing with game settings like "Enable cheats" is rgl_config.txt any old text file editor should do the trick for tweaking those settings. Now as for accessing the mods and DLC's I haven't tried it yet but I will probably just do a copy of Native mob and rename that original as a backup folder then merger the mods folder into the native so it loads. I figure that way I have least amount of texture errors and isses.

Steam has the configuration menu for 64bits. You may need to update/install some libs but thats it. It doesn’t have all the options like the Windows menu, but it is there.

And one of the options is the module you want to play.

Steam -> choose Warband -> Play -> Popup asks if you want to play or configure.

For mods that crash on loading textures or new game start is possible see exactly if caused from texture missed for case sensitive problem?
In 2 cases I se that warband log stop with "Switching to menu window..." or "Loading Textures..." without specific exact error :sad:

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

EDIT:
probably I have a partial solution...
Here a script for check unused files or with name case-sensitive problem:
http://fantu.eu/warband/check-files.sh
I did it fast and tested with ACOK, gave a very long list, I'll check it better but probably is correct.

Back
Top Bottom