[HOW TO:] Import an existing player char into a mod

Users who are viewing this thread

fisheye

For M&B v0.731.

1. Start M&B and restore a game with your desired existing character.
2. (if you are in non-realistic mode - "can quit without saving"): Sell all your worldly possessions including that armour on your back - you can't take them with you, but you can bring along the cold hard cash. Better yet, get a merchant quest to deliver X units of spice, and sell that.
3. Press C to go to the character stats screen:
ss-1.jpg

4. Click on Statistics.
5. Click on Export character.
6. Exit M&B (don't save if you sold everything you own!).
7. Restart M&B in the mod of your choice.
8. Make a new character with the same name as your exported character.
9. Press C to go to the character stats screen:
10. Click on Statistics.
11. Click on Import character.
12. You're done! At this point you should go shopping for some equipment.

Optional:

* At this point you may also wish to rename your character to something more in-theme with the mod - just click on the name in the character screen, press backspace to delete, and type in your desired name.

* Enabling cheats and pressing CTRL-X at the inventory screen gives you 1000 denars, which may help you rebuild your inventory.

* Enabling cheats and pressing CTRL-X after selecting a party troop on the Party screen gives that troop 1000 experience, which may help you rebuild your army.

* Disable cheats after making your adjustments for maximum fun.

Since this is apparently useful to people, I would like to request a sticky, please! :smile:

No more stickies. If anything, create a sticky where you link to other posts. ****loads of stickies don't need to clutter the top of the forum, it's an annoyance.

Thanks I had no idea you could do that. But how do you enable cheats sorry if this question sounds silly but i never really needed to cheat until I have found out how to export characters.

hatimkh said:
Thanks I had no idea you could do that. But how do you enable cheats sorry if this question sounds silly but i never really needed to cheat until I have found out how to export characters.

When you first start M&B, click on configure.

Find the line:

Code:
########################
## Cheats!
########################

cheat_mode = 0

change to:

Code:
cheat_mode = 1

Save.

in 711 if i press statistics nothin hapenes... i enabled cheats... did i miss anythin else?

edit: in 731 i can't load any savegames fro 711... it won't let me

m4x said:
in 711 if i press statistics nothin hapenes... i enabled cheats... did i miss anythin else?

Perhaps you missed the new version of M&B?

hey, why hasn't this been sticked, or put somewhere were people can find it?

m4x said:

edit: in 731 i can't load any savegames fro 711... it won't let me
The import/export is a NEW function in .730/.731.

In order to "replicate" a character from earlier versions - load the earlier version of the game - go to the character screen and write down on a paper (low tech) all the statistics for your character that you want to "replicate" in the new version. exit the game

Now download and intsall (if you have not already) the .731 version.

Start the game, create a NEW character with the same name as your old character. distribute the starting points in wherever - they will not matter.

When all the points are distributed - click done - make a face :razz: and get to the beginning of the game where you are in Zendar.

Now go to the character screen again, click statistics, and export your character. exit the game

You will find a text file named after your character in the "CharExport" folder.

NOW edit that file using the stats you WROTE DOWN on paper. once you have it the way you want - go back to the game, go to character screen - click statistics, and click IMPORT - it will import that file you just edited, changing all of your stats to what your previous character had.

In order to get gear and equipment and stuff though, you need to enable cheats and go shopping...

Hope this helps.

DE

Im trying to export my character from a previous save into the updated MB, but whenver i try to restore the save, it just won't load. Is there something im missing! Like something i have to do on the confgure options?!?!

Thanks for any help.

Btw, Amazing game, amazing mods, everything is just so damm good!!!

(just felt the need to say that, noob needs to spread the love :razz: )

you cant load saves from old M&B versions with the new M&B versions.

You could always just give yourself enough xp to cover the level he was at and raise skills again. Or just export any character and edit their skills/stats to be the same as your old guy's, then import back in. You dont get to bring items over anyway.

I believe the FaceGen code does import. However, you have to leave your current scene and enter a new one to take effect (i.e. exit the town and re-enter the town). The hair and color doesn't import, I believe.

Also note, a character with a space in their name (on export) will import the name only up to the space. (i.e. "Big Fighter" is exported, then imported in another mod. Your character's name will change to only "Big" after the import.)

Back
Top Bottom