people need to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Muefigilo

Recruit
I find it interesting that I can keep a company of troops on the move for days and days on end without ever stopping. Perhaps, along with the food gauge the necessity for rest can be included. This should of course affect the main character as well. Troops that had not rested could suffer whatever penalties you have them suffering for hunger right now, if there are any. This would also add some more strategy to the world map as one might have to decide between chasing down that group of bandits, but being weary during the fight, or letting them go and getting that much-needed shut-eye. NPC units should also be affected by this, if possible, so that long, drawn out chases are hard on all parties involved.

Maybe a 'rest' command that restores health faster then normal? Maybe make it so every now and then you get ambushed and stuck with an extreme tactical advantage.

Resting and fatigue are good ideas but im guessing would take a bit of work.

Ambushing though is a great idea and it probably would be easy to put flags on certain npc groups that they should stop moving from time to time and "wait and ambush"... Maybe making them very hard to spot on the game map (esp in forest). When the player trips over these invisible units the battle map is set up with a massive tactical advantage deficit and the player surrounded at close range.

Ambushed by Dark Riders in the forest? Say good night.

Might be hard to actually trip over such a unit since the contact area would be so small... So maybe while ambushing a units contact zone would triple or so, to simulate their scouts giving them early warning and time to move into the right position.

I assumed that stops for rest were implied in the travel time, in the same way that stops for food are.

I assumed that stops for rest were implied in the travel time, in the same way that stops for food are.

I dunno that seems really silly to me. For one you don't need to stop moving to eat. Eating and riding, eating and walking, both perfectly plausible and in fact have been done frequently, I think they'd be the rule not the exception if you on the run or chasing someone. And how would stops for rest be implied in the travel time? I mean, this game isn't done in increments of days, it's in increments of maybe 5 minutes or so on the world map. A stop for sleepy time should involve staying still for at least eight hours under normal conditions, probably less under stressful conditions.

Maybe a 'rest' command that restores health faster then normal?
the purpose is not to heal faster, the purpose is: if people do not sleep, THEY DIE. At the moment, sleeping is not necessary for survival in an otherwise somewhat realistic game. I'd probably put sleep in a game before food, since one can eat while doing other things, but sleeping involves you being very vulnerable and stationary for a long period of time, for 1/3 or 1/4 or every 14 hour day.

Ambushed by Dark Riders in the forest? Say good night.

The opposite really. Horses are not known for being as useful when there are lots of trees to run into :smile:. I'd rather be ambushed by them in the forest than run into them in the plains, I gotta say. Would be a poor strategy on their part, if they could even manage it with all those loud horses and clanky full plate armor.

Resting and fatigue are good ideas but im guessing would take a bit of work.

Well, no it wouldn't. There is already a system in place for it. As I said, just make it basically the same system as the current food system, but have it get better when the party sleeps rather than requiring food. A very simple matter to do, especially considering a lot of the ideas people throw around here.

[edit] hmm, thought a little more on the sleeping and eating being taken into account... it wouldn't work for infantry, but I suppose mounted units could take a nap in the saddle. Still doesn't solve the issue of infantry troops/the undead who don't sleep.[/edit]

Good ideas guys. Also it would be a nice touch if the costs of resting in a tavern take your armys size into account and the "social status" of your troops. Knights would decline anything less than a classy and hence costly accommodation.

To continue the Pirates! comparisons, travel does need more random factors involved to spice it up. At first it's fear of enemies, but when you're higher level and travelling through a low level area, there's nothing to challenge you and by association nothing to interest you. So it gets boring fast. A Fallout-style random encounter system would be interesting, as long as it wasn't overused.

there is already a rest-place in the maincity, so maybe armagan already thougt about it, but didnt add it yet :lol:

yeah, resting could work as a morale modifiers, sure. Ideally there would be a stamina bar though. In Jagged Alliance II (tactical rpg) you have a stamina bar that determines how much running you can do, etc. If you dont sleep the stamina bar is capped lower and lower, so you arent getting your full potential of activity in combat unless you are rested.

I agree the inns should charge based on party size and composition (knights want the best).

Wilderneress camps would be a good way to save bucks but might run the risk of sudden attack. Be cool to start combat *off* your horses around a campfire. heh.

Muefigilo said:
hmm, thought a little more on the sleeping and eating being taken into account... it wouldn't work for infantry, but I suppose mounted units could take a nap in the saddle.
Nope. Horses need rest too. It was common for message riders to swap horses at every stop with a fresh horse so that they could keep riding hard and fast.

I do think sleep and fatigue and things that could / should be worked in in some way though. I'd like to be able to "setup camp" and camp for the night rather than resting at the local inn. 3 gold coins a night? That's expensive! Perhaps the more men you have the less chance of being ambushed given you'd have someone on watch. That way us solo riders run the risk of getting that Dark Horsemen disadvantage in battle.

I'm not sure how you'd represent fatigue in battle though. You'd need to add something like a stamina bar (which is something that someone suggested recently). Perhaps you start with less hit points or you simply don't move as fast / suffer a penalty to agility if you're not rested. Does anyone know if troop morale gets affected if the party isn't rested?

Back
Top Bottom