A few points I'd like to make about the roster:
- Most units should carry javelins
- Swords should be extremely rare, roughly 1 in 10 warriors should have a sword
- Wood clubs with bone spikes should be common. Capable of both puncturing armour and providing blunt force trauma. This weapon should be potent.
- Short spears with short spear heads extremely common
- Hunter/archers type less common than skirmishers
- Extreme lack of armour and helmets. Certainly Only nobles or bodyguards would have both.
- Only the bottom end units should carry the rectangular german shield, the rest should carry celto-germanic shields.
- Cavalry should be mainly skirmisher type and should ride poor quality horses
Thats about where I was looking to take them, or where they already are.
They will have a pike unit from them gaining access to Kontos via skirmishes with Scyths / Sarmatians. They converted the Kontos to infantry use, I think this was per Tacitus IIRC. I'm sure I can dig it up if someone wants to challenge it.
Loading them down with projectiles is something I already intend to employ for balance reasons. Them and other factions that may feature largly light troops will have access to precursor weapons on a large scale, so long as it's within historical reason - i.e. Celts, Germans, Numidians, Iberians.
This doesnt necessary mean alot of skirmisher units, but means to inlude some spearmen or swordsmen types might randomly spawn with precursor weapons, yet not be flagged as "ranged"