Author Topic: How to invade Russia?  (Read 21790 times)

Tiberius Decimus Maximus

• Flammen Königin
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • Gentlemen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • MP nick: TiberiusDecimusMaximus
  • M&BWBNW
How to invade Russia?
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:38:13 AM »
So, throughout history, Russia has been invaded many times. From the Mongols, to the Swedes, to the French, and lastly, by the Germans. However, every time they have failed. The only one who was able to control (in a fairly loose term of the word) Russia for any extended period of time was the Mongols, or the Golden Horde, if you prefer, and that was only due to their high mobility and letting the Russians rule themselves, for the most part, and even then they were driven out after a hundred years or so. However, Napoleon's invasion set precedent for the next invasions, as it was there that the Russians revealed their main tactic: slash and burn, retreat, wait till General Winter, their most deadly ally, sets in, harass, then advance. Even when the Germans invaded, wise of Napoleon's mistake, they could not take Russia.

So, is there any conceivable way to invade, defeat, and occupy Russia? I have been thinking about this for around a year now and I still have not found a solution that does not require the use of nuclear weaponry, which I, and indeed, most of us, would like to avoid using.

• Regular
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: How to invade Russia?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:20:02 AM »
and that was only due to their high mobility and letting the Russians rule themselves

You forgot the part about Russia not EXISTING as a unified political entity at that time. :P

I guess the strategic answer is to push them far enough east that they no longer have the big cities/infrastructure/resources to continue fighting, although how the act of pushing them that far east would be done tactically I have no idea.

Archonsod

• An old salt from the mainland
  • Forum Legend
  • Beannachd Dé Rígh Alban
    • View Profile
    • My Gamer's Gate profile
  • MP nick: CoR_G_Archonsod
  • M&BWBWF&S
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »
So, is there any conceivable way to invade, defeat, and occupy Russia? I have been thinking about this for around a year now and I still have not found a solution that does not require the use of nuclear weaponry, which I, and indeed, most of us, would like to avoid using.
Yes. Invade DURING THE ******** SUMMER.
Scottish if forced, English by will and reiver by grace of blood.

stygN

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • WBNW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »
Yes. Invade DURING THE ******** SUMMER.

Or in April/May...?

The biggest problem is that the guys who have invaded Russia have either had a poorly equipped army, or too few men.

I think USA could manage to beat Russia, it would cost millions of lives on both sides, but at least USA have the equipment and manpower to do it.

Germany could have done it with a bit better tactics and a few more million men. If Germany had 10 million soldiers on the east front instead of 3 million, what would happen? And 40k armoured weapons (both counting tanks and the assault gun, like the STUG) instead of 20k..?

USA could field an army of 20 million or way more if they wanted to.

And... If the Russians retreat and wait for winter, then you do the same. Fall back, dig in and wait for spring.

Remember that it is also possible to fight Russia on two fronts, no one have tried that before. Stalin thought he would fight on two fronts in WW2 so he stacked a vast army of his best troops up in Siberia in case of an invasion from Japan. If Japan had invaded, Germany would not have to face this fresh army outside Moscow and in Stalingrad.

USA have the capability to invade Russia on two fronts and maintain it.

It would be hard, the death toll would be millions on each side, maybe even tens of millions. But why would USA invade Russia?

On the same not, I think Russia would be the only country able to invade USA, with a few years preparations, but again why would they?

In some time I think China would be able to field an army big enough and strong enough to do the same (either invade Russia or USA), but that would take several years I think, perhaps 10, 15 years.
Cake

Swadius 2.0

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »
You use a bacterial agent that could only live in cold weather.

Mirror

• Regular
  • Eyes right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »
Nuke it. Wait to see their response. Nuke that too.
A MMORPG needs 3d graphics modellers, mappers, graphic artists, programmers,databasers, webmasters, music makers and designers to help develop the game, all help is appreciated! Link here: http://k3rnel.org/

Cyborg Eastern European

• Canis Mechanicus
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • That's not your fear I'm smelling, is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »
Get someone else to try and do the dirty work of weakening it?
Then attack in the spring before it can recover.
And get a decent logistic system going.

So, is there any conceivable way to invade, defeat, and occupy Russia?

You're supposed to survive, genius.
The purpose of science is to shine a light in the darkness, and lasers do it hard enough to set the darkness on fire.
Fairy tales aren't there to tell you Dragons exist. They're there to tell you that Dragons can be killed.
Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion.
Three fries short of a happy meal.

Mirror

• Regular
  • Eyes right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 12:20:47 PM »
Get someone else to try and do the dirty work of weakening it?
Then attack in the spring before it can recover.
And get a decent logistic system going.

So, is there any conceivable way to invade, defeat, and occupy Russia?

You're supposed to survive, genius.

Didn't mention nuking myself. Wind will take it into Siberia if lucky.
A MMORPG needs 3d graphics modellers, mappers, graphic artists, programmers,databasers, webmasters, music makers and designers to help develop the game, all help is appreciated! Link here: http://k3rnel.org/

Cyborg Eastern European

• Canis Mechanicus
  • Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 12:23:25 PM »
You are aware that Russia is the country with THE largest nuclear stockpile?
They have enough bombs to glass the entire planet.
The purpose of science is to shine a light in the darkness, and lasers do it hard enough to set the darkness on fire.
Fairy tales aren't there to tell you Dragons exist. They're there to tell you that Dragons can be killed.

El Perro Finlandes

• Grandmaster Knight
  • I'm untouchable, but I'm forcing you to feel me.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: Don_Doggy
  • M&BWB
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 12:31:37 PM »
But most of them are old, from the 70s/80s so the quality is rather poor.
"I don't understand this game. Why every character is blond, blue eyed and speaking Swedish?"
"Erm... This is Nordic Limited Edition."

Rallix

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: SF_Rallix
  • M&BWBWF&S
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 12:33:58 PM »
Send in the only other military that is used to winter warfare.... The Canadians!

Revilo

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Stop something something!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 12:38:21 PM »
Why bother invading atall? Just let them sit around drinking vodka, violating women and getting into fights with eacho....

Oh.
"Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast."
-Douglas Adams

Rallix

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: SF_Rallix
  • M&BWBWF&S
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 12:41:43 PM »
Maybe because a large portion of the world's oil goes through the southwest of it...

Revilo

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Stop something something!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 12:43:35 PM »
Why not just nab somewhere like Saudi Arabia. Also, you don't have to conquer and occupy a country to take it's oil :D
"Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast."
-Douglas Adams

Cyborg Eastern European

• Canis Mechanicus
  • Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
But most of them are old, from the 70s/80s so the quality is rather poor.

They're still nukes.