OSP 3D Art Barf's face models

Users who are viewing this thread

Barf

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I raise thee from the grave!!!, I started working again on this previously abandoned project now that I am more experienced with the module system and m&b in general.

Last time I made a great deal of mistakes, which will all be corrected and generally improved upon in this version.
namely, im going to include custom beards, hair, and face textures aiming for around 30 of each beard/hair and about 8 face textures....also last time I simply used a modified native face-mesh but this one is my own.

I need suggestions for hair styles and if you want to add your face to the game it would actually help since finding good faces to use for the textures wastes alot of time.

if you are going to send me pictures to use I need 3, one straight on, one at 2/3rds angle (45 degrees), and finally one from the side.

installation instructions:
backup 'meshes_face_gen.brf' in your commonres folder and overwrite with the new file you just downloaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
ty rathos!.
Septa Scarabae said:
From snuff to buff!
I figured the average man would have a thicker neck so I made that the default, though I replaced the brow depth morph with a neck thickness morph for old men or weak nobles or something :smile:.

looks very nice. amazing how you managed to actually reduce the triangles while yielding high quality results.

Looks great, though I have a feeling that the narrow neck in game was so that it'd "fit" the armor better. I suppose it's not much of an issue when wearing helmets that hide the neck but I noticed that on certain armors (black armor for example) the neck juts out awkwardly out of the armor. A thicker neck would probably look worse.

Still, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna download and use this :razz:
Thanks for the model!

I tested it on most helmets and armors and couldn't find any problems, ill try out the black armor and see if it juts out much, most of the changes are stuff you cant see whilst looking directly onwards though
for example the eyes and eye lids have been tweaked to reduce the wandering eye problem and the strange extremely long eyelid, I also changed the triangluation to get it to look a bit less jagged in areas...I just uploaded it btw, so try it out and tell me what you think and I can tweak it for next version which will include females.

Barf said:
I tested it on most helmets and armors and couldn't find any problems, ill try out the black armor and see if it juts out much, most of the changes are stuff you cant see whilst looking directly onwards though
for example the eyes and eye lids have been tweaked to reduce the wandering eye problem and the strange extremely long eyelid, I also changed the triangluation to get it to look a bit less jagged in areas...I just uploaded it btw, so try it out and tell me what you think and I can tweak it for next version which will include females.

The problem really isn't with the model itself, but how it's rigged to the body and animated. In the screenshots below you can see the head float out of the collar, it looks worse if the collar was raised on certain models and you can see the neck clip it. For the black armor, the hole for the neck is just too small and you can really see the neck wandering all over the place so that's just a texture problem not the model.

necks.jpg

This problem was present with the old model as well. The thicker new neck only makes it slightly more noticeable. All in all it isn't all that distracting unless you're an anal retentive type of person. I reckon a way to fix it is by adjusting the armor meshes or mess around with the rigging if that's possible, either way it's a different matter altogether than to what you're doing here.

I love how you've done the eyelids, so far I haven't found any other errors with it so I hope to see the female model next :grin:

thx amade. Those pictures serve a dual purpose it seems, the hair needs some fixing and I never realized it, that will be done in next version too I guess.

edit: the armor could be easily fixed by rigging the neck opening verts to the head, and the end result would look perfect...im contemplating doing that right now....hrm.

(you called me on the anal retentive-ness I have problems like editing old posts three or four times).

Is there a head mesh rigging available for modding? The mesh is rigged completely to one bone, so it would be far more simple to rerig neck to body bones to cure this problem once and for all.

face meshes are in the same boat as hand-held items, they cant be rigged right now  :neutral:

preview of female mesh, still not done (have to re-triangulate & do blendshapes, soften jaw etc) and again it is lower poly but this time it is 46 triangles lower so im going to repurpose some triangles to make the face smoother, (mainly the jaw/cheeks).

True plug 'n play goodness!  Unbelievable how much more natural those head models look.  Could be my imagination, but it looks like you tweaked the mouth a bit...that never seemed to look right on the originals.  Good stuff indeed.

daerdevil said:
True plug 'n play goodness!  Unbelievable how much more natural those head models look.  Could be my imagination, but it looks like you tweaked the mouth a bit...that never seemed to look right on the originals.  Good stuff indeed.
I agree...retexture the mouth a bit, but great work there! The faces are well done.

JDeNef13

updated it with female faces now, the change isnt very drastic, mainly changed the eyes and made the neck slightly thicker....version 3 will have the fixed haircuts for men.

edit: removed the old female comparison because it was incorrect, new comparison below
[old]v                                [new]v
mb9.jpg

Awesome.  I was finding the ladies a bit... ugly.  Now there might be reasons, other than to father an heir, to get married.

i just tried it out, everyone else in the game looks better, but i cant get my character to look good enough, i like to have my eyes rather thin but i can't do it now, maybe i'll have another try later, good work still

Back
Top Bottom