[Lore/Universe Expansion] The Hälmarian-Laurian Wars

Users who are viewing this thread

Venitius

Count
A History of the Hälmarian-Laurian Wars.

The feud between the Hälmar Union and the Laurians have lasted for centuries. From the early Halmarian incursions, to the current war of our current time, in the 15th to 16th Century. These two factions have evolved, their traditions and fighting styles based on their wars and their rivals.

When the Hälmarians, distant relatives of the Nords had a famine in the 3rd Century, the Hälmarians took to raiding their neighbours weaker neighbours, the Laurians. The Laurians used to occupy the territory now called Bermia, but they were forced to flee from the Hälmarian raiders. Over time, both the Hälmarians and Laurians had bountiful harvests and gathered their troops.

In the year 759, the Laurian Knights invaded Hälmar, passing through Bermia peacefully due to the military access that the Barons of Bermia had given them. Below the Hälmarian Ancestral Capital, on the flat land beside the river Hryrmadon, the two armies clashed. Axe took down horse, swords cut and slashed through mail. Both armies were lead by Royal Princes, with the Laurians lead by Infante Juan Hervenza, and the Hälmarians lead by Crown Prince Iohann. Both sides butchered each other mercilessly. The Laurians succeeded in looting the Hälmarian camp, but Hälmarian reservists drove them off. The two leaders met the next day and agreed on a truce, a truce that would last less than 100 years. The Laurian and Hälmarian navies would clash off Cape Grahalgarth, and the Laurians emerge the victor. With the Halmarian navy destroyed, their fishing ships no-longer had any protection, and so the Laurians forced the Hälmarians to pay a heavy tribute for "protection" and so that they would not be attacked.

3 centuries passed without conflict. In the year 1045, the armies of Lauria and Hälmar clashed once more, and no side asked or gave quarter. A remarkable victory came to the Hälmarians, where a small Hälmarian caravan carrying cod was ambushed by a much larger force of Laurian light cavalry. The Hälmarians won. The defeat at the "Battle of the Cod" taunted the Laurians for years. No victor was to emerge in that war. It ended 120 years later, after an agreement between the two factions to not fight each other. They were simply too tired of fighting. Thousands had died.

When the Nords were thrown out of Calradia after they lost the Battles of Rivacheg Rock and Suno Plains, the King of the Nords, Ragnar I, died. His son, Ragnar, married into the house of Berthe and the Nord lands that were not in Calradia assimilated into the Berthian Kingdom. 60 Years later, the house of Berthe's heir was a young girl, Catherine. She married the King of Hälmar, Magnus XI at the age of 16. The Berthian-Nord Kingdom was assimilated into the Halmarian Kingdom and the result was the House of Hälmar-Berthe-Nord, and the Hälmar Union. However, the Berthian Barons did not acknowledge him as the ruler of the Halmar Union. Magnus XI died fighting the Bermianese and the Laurians at the Battle of Ravenhearth. His nephew was urgently crowned Iohann III but he died of a disease 2 months later. Catherine died in childbirth. She gave birth to a daughter, Margaret, the first ruler of the Hälmar Union. She was acknowledged by both the Berthian Barons and the Hälmarian Lords and Counts. She pursued a foreign policy that was pacifistic and no war broke out between the Laurians and the Hälmar Union. However, her son, Iohann, later Iohann IV, and her chancellor, the Count of Fernstaag, gathered and trained an army in the Swadian style, like their Laurian rivals. Musketeers, Pikemen, Pistoleers, Reiters, Grenadiers and Artillerymen made ready for a Laurian Invasion after the Laurian Queen, Imelda Loeher invaded and conquered Bermia after the efforts of Luis III and Ferdinand XV.

The Loeher dynasty that currently rules Lauria, were of a hardy, yet aristocratic stock. They began gathering their army and improving it. They destroyed a rebellious baron and his army easily. The Laurians expanded, waiting for a good fight. The Bermianese Barons were an easy target, as they were divided. Queen Imelda Loeher, the fifth Loeher and the current Queen of the Laurians, ordered the invasion of Bermia 2 decades ago. Bermia fell in less than a half-dozen years. Imelda then set her eyes upon Calradia, which had been invaded by the second Loeher, Luis, and supported the Laurian troops there, leading the invasion herself. With a strong Laurian presence in Calradia, they expanded and captured the towns of Tihr and Wercheg. However, the Vaegirs and the Imperial State would not let them expand. With their rival's navy and army spread out, the new King of the Hälmar Union, Iohann IV Erik, ordered the Hälmar Expeditionary force to invade Calradia. The King of the Hälmar Union came to Calradia a year later, bringing the mighty Royal Hälmarian Fleet.

The Stage is set for another Hälmarian-Laurian war, this time in Calradia.
thehouseofhlmar.jpg

HouseofLoeher.jpg

A/N
This is a "Beta" version. Please point out any typos or incorrect information/time settings. I'm doing this of my own free will. If D'Sparil wishes me to remove it (or change it), then I will. I made the Family Trees by myself. Thanks to Tiberius Decimus Maximus for some ideas for place names and jan_boruta for inventing this faction. Please note that you should replace "Narva" with "Berthe" as the Narvans were the name of the Berthe at the original typing.

****, man, you actually added my Narvanians! I'm honored! Really, I had just made it up just for the Scenario Game,  but damn!

Anyways, we should ask good ole' D'Sparil how many kingdoms are actually in The Halmar Union, which I assume he got from the Kalmar Union in the Medieval Ages. Assuming from history, there would be three, but basing things completely on history is no fun  :grin:.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
****, man, you actually added my Narvanians! I'm honored! Really, I had just made it up just for the Scenario Game,  but damn!

Anyways, we should ask good ole' D'Sparil how many kingdoms are actually in The Halmar Union, which I assume he got from the Kalmar Union in the Medieval Ages. Assuming from history, there would be three, but basing things completely on history is no fun  :grin:.
This is all getting sooooooo complex yet well-thought. And yes, the Haelmar Union (with the a-umlaut instead of "ae") is from the Kalmar Union, I think it was just natural. :smile:

Great read btw :smile:

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Well, I have no ****ing idea how to make a umlaut, so I'm just going to stick with Halmar for now  :lol:

When you go to type the "a," instead hold the alt key and type 132, an umlaut will come up once you release the alt key. ¥ ÐØш† ∩ know that¿

BTW, those are called alt characters. Here is a website that has a bunch if not all of them ===> http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/ALTchrc.html

The Halmarian Pistoleer talks about a Haelmar "Queen Margaret" who is the reason that the Laurians and the Haelmar Union aren't fighting. So, might want to edit some things out on the family tree

Venitius said:
She gave birth to a daughter, Margaret, the first ruler of the Hälmar Union. She was acknowledged by both the Narvan Barons and the Hälmarian Lords and Counts. She pursued a foreign policy that was pacifistic and no war broke out between the Laurians and the Hälmar Union.

And on the family tree: Margaret (1427-1496)

So it was already there.

nice... emmmm but "infanta" is femenine, and "Juan" is masculine...  :roll:  :mrgreen:

the correct form is "Infante Juan", for Juan the son of a king.  :wink:

Does Imelda has a brother named Juan Bautista Loeher?  :?:

About the infanta....it was an accident, a typo merely.

Juan Bautista isn't included as he doesn't rule the Laurians. If I included the entire family trees of both factions, then they would be too big.

Venitius said:
About the infanta....it was an accident, a typo merely.

Juan Bautista isn't included as he doesn't rule the Laurians. If I included the entire family trees of both factions, then they would be too big.
nice  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom