items durability

Users who are viewing this thread

kroc

Recruit
some of you been complaining that weapons never brake and should spend some upkeep on it...
i agree, and adding a weapon durability stat would be quiete nice
"A sword is sharp for only 3 hits" not exact words but something close...
whereas here, we have a sword thats forever-impossible-to-break...

thus you would also need smiths in villages, or, a smithing skill that would allow you to repair weapons and armour... and arrows too, since they DO break, and its not self-replaced.. (now we have new stock of arrows after every battle)

I don't mind the arrows replacing thing. It may not be realistic but it works in game. I would like to see atleast lances breaking on charge impact, so you could not just do couched damage all the time.

I was forced to remember Knights Tale when I was jousting, and how the lances exploded. I think it would be a nice touch if lances occastionally broke, and I have stated before how I like the idea of weapon durability.
Plus, the concept of arrows breaking is good for balancing archery, which I think is way to powerful.

Maybe a crafting skill? so you can repair basic things like arrows and maybe make pottery... or not.
But yeah, duriablitly = yes, but if during a large battle my lance breaks and there's still 20+ more guys and then my sword is dulled after 10 hits, no point in lances, as they would be a waste of money, and swords shouldn't dull very quickly, just go down in durablility and every quarter of durability lost = 1 or 2 attack lost on the weapon.

Lances really should be powered down. Limiting them to one use per battle, somewhat like arrows, wouldn't be that bad, I think.
Running around villages just to get your stuff repaired seems a bit of a hassle to me.

hi.

i find it interesting that every one wants the realistic aspect put in the game............but when some thing like durabilaty (which i strongly agree with) is mentioned there are many replies of oh that wont work or it will take too long or to much money. with what ive seen in the game there are an almost endless number of posabilatys for improvements, this is true. i have a good deal of faith and trust in the dev team to implement and tweek the game as we go.

this is just an observation not a critisisem. Ive been in combat and i asure you everything breaks.....everything. with a duarabilaty factor added there will be an additional money sink an open area for skills and extra uses for your stats. and yes it can slow the game down just abit or you could see it as an added depth to the game. :razz:

IIRC jousting lances were meant for one good hit, battle lances were stronger (and sharp), but the histories I read have shield breaking first, armour breaking second and (metal) weapons breaking last. It would be good if weapons and armour lost their edge or got damaged, rusted, cracked, or bent and the smiths charged for repairs (or we just had to buy new ones), but then we would probably lose the balanced/watered-steel/heavy bonuses like we do on horses.

mfberg

hm, lose bonuses? well, do you think you oculd just ride with the same lance forever, and kill some 20 soldiers in a battle with it?

i doubt that..
so yeah, you lose bonuses, but that makes the game more intricate

I love you guys, you know that don't you?

But come on, there is a search key! How many blacksmith and weapon repair posts are we going to have? Probably three or four new threads in the next couple of weeks will suggest the unheard of idea of blacksmiths. :grin:

An idea which is probably already taken is destroyable armour on the battlefield - hit someone with an enormous and very sharp blade, mace or whatever - if it didn't kill the wearer, surely it'd be mashed.

Then again, if the loot screen was given up and its replacement was looting on the battlefield (whilst the battle was still on) - some peasants really did wander around the battlefield as it was going on, stealing off the dead. This would only be good if your own armour was wasted and you urgently needed protection. Actually that idea's not the best.

Also, the graphics should be different if a helmet is battered or crude, or ragged dresses or tunics, robes and the like. If an axe is bent, then it should look bent. If a sword is chipped...

Note to kroc: I did the search, only found gobble-de-gook

hmm... i wouldn't like the weapons to break since it's only annoying in games where it actually is implemented. I also like the way arrows are implemented as i disadore an inventory full of arrows. But agree that something should happen to the lances. Perhaps they should sometimes stay in an opponent after jousting just like arrows. The 'real' knights actally left theirs in 'enemy lines' and returned to their squire or weapons bearer who gave them a new one.

My three (Well I am better than you lot :smile: ) cents:

After using a weapon/armor a long time you'd get negative modifiers like cracked, ragged, etc. I'm talking after a LONG time of using. dozens of battles. A smith could repair them for a fee. If you don't, the weapon would eventually break. I'm definitely against weapons that break after a few battles. In order to get decent eguipment you've got to kill hundreds of men. How frustrated would you be when, after you buy all the **** you've dreamed of, you fight a group of, say, 30-40 men. All your new fancy weapons and armor break.

"A sword is sharp for only 3 hits" not exact words but something close...

and arrows DO break, so at end of battle you should have less than with what you started with, or could have someone in your party who is a fletcher...

er..
your armour doesnt just break totally, it breaks where somone hit you...
and i mean, you want to change on the battle field? why not have a snack too

I kind of like to think the maintence on things, and fletching, is done between battles.

Sort of like how the food disappears between battles. Wouldn't exactly be fun to watch a bunch of ugly soldiers munching on their food simply for the realism value of it, would it? >.>;

I admit, it could be funny, but I'd rather pass that up...

Back
Top Bottom