Irish Men and Women, by Lucas d'Heere, about 1575

Users who are viewing this thread

Druzhina

Sergeant Knight at Arms
. 81. Irish as they stand accoutred being at the service of the late King Henry, by Lucas d'Heere
. 82. Irishman and Irishwoman, by Lucas d'Heere
. 83. Irish Woman and Girl, by Lucas d'Heere

attachment.php

MIRROR SITE

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

It seems the men, even well dressed (presumably) nobles, tended to wear their hair long, loose and uncombed. Broad scabbards appear to be typical as well; I don't think I've seen any like that before.

DanAngleland said:
It seems the men, even well dressed (presumably) nobles, tended to wear their hair long, loose and uncombed. Broad scabbards appear to be typical as well; I don't think I've seen any like that before.

There might be only one source for all the broad scabbards in the modern pictures - d'Heere.

I have found one of.gq/Renaissance/Deheere-81-large.htm]Irish as they stand accoutred being at the service of the late King Henry, by Lucas d'Heere, about 1575[/url]
Irishman and Irishwoman, by Lucas d'Heere, about 1575
Irish Woman and Girl, by Lucas d'Heere, about 1575

MIRROR SITE

One figure has a gauntlet hanging by a cord rather than worn in the modern version.  As d'Heere's book has costumes from ancient times until his, he can't be a primary source for all of them and I recognise some of his turks are based on other sources.  But, he is used as the source for many Osprey and other modern paintings.
The horsemen are based on Print 9 - The English army defeats the Irish in battle in Derricke's The Image of Irelande (1581)
The frill around the waist can be seen in Print 1 - An Irish noble and kern bonacht by Derricke and in other prints.

Druzhina

Did the medieval irish win any battles? At all? Most seem to be an irish rebellion that gets crushed every 10 years or so.

Also, why don't they have shoes in half the pictures?

e27 said:
Did the medieval irish win any battles? At all? Most seem to be an irish rebellion that gets crushed every 10 years or so.

They won some fights but not the big battles of the 16th century against the English. They were better at guerrilla warfare.

Also, why don't they have shoes in half the pictures?
Possible reasons: Bare feet give better grip on slippery ground - Landsknechts often only wore one shoe during battles. Ireland tends to be boggy and shoes can be lost in boggy ground.

See Clothing of the Ancient Celts: A Guide to Celtic Costume by M. E. Riley for more info on Irish & Scots dress.

Mirror Site
Clothing of the Ancient Celts: A Guide to Celtic Costume by M. E. Riley

Druzhina

Back
Top Bottom