Heres a bit more - Crafting

Users who are viewing this thread

david2609

Recruit
Im not currently aware if this is possible but i have come across ?iron? in my adventuring and i thought, why not take it to the smithy for him/her to make something for you with it. Or you could make it yourself, iron + tools + piece of wood = short sword. Durable Wood + horse tail hair = bow...i think you get the picture

this game is more based about action... i think the game your reffering to is runescape.... it would be hard to bring in all those extra materials... how would you find them? how would you retrieve them?

and so forth.... tho i do like the idea of making your own weapons and maybe clothing/armour

Well, first off, Runescape got old once you finally realised that there was no skill, strategy, or intelligent thought involved whatsoever. That all you did was sit there for 6 hours clicking on a rock to mine it. But the kind of crafting system that i'd like to see, is one that is largely action/skill based. Why not instead of just putting ingredients/materials into a box and hitting the "produce" button, you actually had to move your mouse and hit keys a certain way to craft something. Make a mini-game out of it. If you mess up, the item is produced at a lower quality than it would had you mastered the mouse movement involved. I've never heard of a crafting system like this, so i think its my own original idea. If there is one i'd sure like to play it. Although this would be a little too much for two people to code as just "something to do on the side".

This mini-game idea would be sweet. Such as blacksmithing you see your char standing over the smelter first and add what you want in quantity with a like hand written list that shows what quantities you need like you become an apprentice. After the smelter has done it's work you find the mould for what you want, huge editor ability here and pour the boiling metal you have made into the mould.

Grab a bucket of water and pour over mould, then pull it out. Make your handle with cloth or leather, then into the coals and on the anvil with your hammer, *cough*, accidently add coal at this point to make steel? With the systematic bashing of your sword with a hammer, you should have set target points on the sword that you have to hit before you put it back in the forge and do again.

Again this is an extremely advanced mini-game and would be way too much trouble for our programming team at this time.

I wouldn't want to play this as a minigame... however I have no objection to a range of weapon/armour making skills making it into a game.

A weaponsmith character could be employed by one of the faction sides or freelance. Could make and trade weapons across the map. Ultimately the weapon smith could create the finest weapons in the game :smile:

well i never played runescape so...

it just got into my head, say youve not got alot of gold you could get all the materials and make it yourself (resulting in less quality than if the blacksmith crafts it but being free) So you go to anvil/whatever with your materials and make it = shoddy weapon (gets better quality with your skill level) blacksmith always makes better quality so his/her skill gets better as yours does

The same skillsets could be used to repair (and improve) equipment (akin to Morrowind). We already have different "damage" statuses for item (reinforced, normal, battered, cracked etc.), so it shouldn't be too hard to make.

( Okay ,it is gonna be lame but...)
Who ever played gothic would see that this idea is good, u should have to go through all the steps in making the weapon. It would never be a GREAT wep( C'mon! You are warriors not a blacksmiths), but still u should be able to rep weps( cracked and bent weps for example) and create some crude weapons... Nothing too special... Just for the times when u can't find an Great axe or pay for it( manufacturing would be a better option since all u would need would be the materials, good blacksmiths were so rare that the good equipment costed an arm and a leg).
Well, bigger quivers made of leather would be nice too =P (Fighting big combats with only 25 arrows??? Sounds impossible te me :lol: )

Add new modifier. Homemade: -3 damage, -3 speed or something.

You can have a smithy skill which reduces this penalty and makes it possible for you to repair/improve weapons further.

The smithies should also vary in quality. Capital cities should have great smithies. You should also be able to win special weapons for tourney victories (harder ones help by the king?)

Perhaps you could have to follow the outline or cast of the weapon, tool or armour you want to craft within a limited time. The more accurate you were, the better the item produced.

It should be something like this:

Please choose your desired weapon type.
---> To make this weapon you will need these materials ????wood????iron
Click okay to craft......
Depending on your ability level there is a possibility of making different quality items for example:

Level 1 Ability: 10% chance that crafting fails (you dont loose material)
50% chance to make cracked quality
25% chance to make battered quality
15% chance to make normal quality

Level 2 Ability: 10 % chance to make cracked quality
50% chance to make battered quality
25% chance to make normal quality
15% chance to make good quality

and so on

You're %ages are a bit too high for the levels, but your ideas are great. Skills & the such are probably already on the agenda, even though, at the moment, mount & blade -is- a combat-oriented game...

Also, I'd suggest that anybody who has never played runescape do NOT go to www.runescape.com, if you do... you will be exiled from my private fantasy world!

HAHAHAHAHA!

Neverwinter Nights had a fairly decent item creation system, very similar to that described here. Basically, you get a piece of iron and a piece of steel, and combine them into a sword or mace, or get some cloth and steel and make an armor.
Hmm, now I wanna go play some more NWN... :smile:

It would be nice to have something like that, but I don't think it would fit the style of the game. Better to have a weaponsmith/armorer who can make you an item of your choice, for a price.

However, I'd like to see weapon/armor upgrades... instead of hunting around for a balanced sword, just give the weaponsmith your old chipped sword and have him repair it for a fee. Same goes for armor.

genius idea ---

very hard to impliment i imagine but would add a great new spin if you could create weaponry

i do feel though that it would quickly become pointless in the current version as once you have equiped your heroes with the balanced weapon of choice, making your own seems unnescasary

Back
Top Bottom