Did the muslim armies use crossbow?

Users who are viewing this thread

The Saracens called the crossbow qaws Ferengi, or "Frankish bow," as the Crusaders used the crossbow against the Arab and Turkoman horsemen with remarkable success. The adapted crossbow was used by the Islamic armies in defence of their castles. Later footstrapped version become very popular among the Muslim armies in Iberia.

In Western Africa and Central Africa, crossbows served as a scouting weapon and for hunting...

attachment.php

!B3w-UTQEGk~$(KGrHqN,!hEE)8Ol--bgBMnec+Bv9w~~_12.JPG

attachment.php

a50c4caab680.jpg

1922_face.jpg
1963_face.jpg

969_face.jpg
1083_face.jpg

grbw.png

6124.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

picture1j.png

1bc22a85e26c.jpg

img197.jpg

http://****-k.narod.ru/Historical_Arts/Reconquiste/Reconquiste_6.jpg
06.jpg

39-125e927d6c.jpg

9218d672f7e2.jpg

4eaac1e2c7e2.jpg

picture3cnp.png

Nasrid_Islamic_Crossbow_1a-1024x475.jpg

Model-1024x713.jpg

Ballesta_arabe_11c.jpg

04.jpg

08.jpg

%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%202..JPG

%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%202.2.JPG

Mode_1l.jpg

Muslims with Crossbows

Medieval Muslims did use crossbows, here are some examples from contemporary manuscripts etc:
Mounted crossbowmen on the 'Freer Canteen', Jazīrah, early 13th century
Granadines (representing pagans) with crossbows in Cantiga 28
Moors with crossbows in Cantiga 99
Granadines with crossbows in Cantiga 187
Granadine with crossbow in Cantiga 256
Saracen with Crossbow from the Chronica Majora
Saracen with Crossbow by Ian Heath based on the Chronica Majora
Ayyubid horseman with crossbow on a Glass Water-Flask, Syria, 1250-60
Granadine mounted crossbowmen on the wall paintings of El Partal, Alhambra, 14th Century
Crossbow shooting in Kitsab al-makhzun jami` al-funun by ibn akhî hizâm - A Mamluk manual of military practice and horsemanship, Egypt or Syria, 1470
Mounted crossbow & bow shooting in Kitsab al-makhzun jami` al-funun by ibn akhî hizâm - A Mamluk manual of military practice and horsemanship, Egypt or Syria, 1470
Crossbows in Kitab al-makhzun li arbab al-funun by al-tarabulusi. A manual of military practice and horsemanship, 1578-1579
attachment.php

Timurid Assault on a Castle, by Bihzad c.1480 (featuring crossbows)

Reference: “Arrow-guides, Pellet-bows and Crossbows” by David Nicolle

mirror sites
Mounted crossbowmen on the 'Freer Canteen', Jazīrah, early 13th century
Granadines (representing pagans) with crossbows in Cantiga 28
Moors with crossbows in Cantiga 99
Granadines with crossbows in Cantiga 187
Granadine with crossbow in Cantiga 256
Saracen with Crossbow from the Chronica Majora
Saracen with Crossbow by Ian Heath based on the Chronica Majora
Ayyubid horseman with crossbow on a Glass Water-Flask, Syria, 1250-60
Granadine mounted crossbowmen on the wall paintings of El Partal, Alhambra, 14th Century
Crossbow shooting in Kitsab al-makhzun jami` al-funun by ibn akhî hizâm - A Mamluk manual of military practice and horsemanship, Egypt or Syria, 1470
Mounted crossbow & bow shooting in Kitsab al-makhzun jami` al-funun by ibn akhî hizâm - A Mamluk manual of military practice and horsemanship, Egypt or Syria, 1470
Crossbows in Kitab al-makhzun li arbab al-funun by al-tarabulusi. A manual of military practice and horsemanship, 1578-1579
attachment.php

Timurid Assault on a Castle, by Bihzad c.1480 (featuring crossbows)

Reference: “Arrow-guides, Pellet-bows and Crossbows” by David Nicolle

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Last edited:
Satrio said:
Hi, i just want to know if any muslim armies ever use crossbow. from what i know the muslim prefer to use drawn bows rather than crossbow

Definitely, it was a popular weapon for city militias and professional footmen in Syria, Iraq and Persia, just like in Europe.

After the Battle of Hastings the longbow became the projectile thrower of choice. There is a great deal of debate over whether firing arrows really did anything more than corral an enemy riding on horseback and covered in armor though.

ggent001 said:
After the Battle of Hastings the longbow became the projectile thrower of choice.

No it didn't. If only there finally came a day when amateur history buffs stopped spouting extremely generalized or even outright false statements everywhere - I'd quit smoking on the spot.

1) The longbow never became "the projectile weapon of choice". Crossbows were far more common than longbows throughout the medieval era, until the 16th century when both were beginning to be phased out in favor of firearms - that's what you'll find doing even a cursory study of French, German, Spanish or Italian warfare of the period. Hell, until the latter 13th century crossbows were quite commonly listed in militia contingents even in England.
2) Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING about the way war is conducted changes after a single battle. This whole utterly simplistic interpretation of battles as these massive turning points in history, both political and military, is completely unfounded in reality. Strategically battles are means to an end, and facilitate the achievement of operational goals, while the progress of military technology and tactics is a gradual process, individual battles having extremely limited impact on it.
3) Even disregarding the previous statements, there is no evidence of any longbowmen at Hastings. Quite the opposite, there seem to have been numerous troops armed with crossbows and short bows present.

Long story short, don't make fact statements it you're utterly clueless.

that last sentence was nigh incomprehensible Roach, but you're right otherwise. I'd never heard of crossbows at Hastings either, though, (Flemish?) troops on the Norman side? I do recall an Osprey-plate of Norman troops in freshly conquered England with one dude with a crossbow, I think.

Ah, okay. Might be true, but wasn't that the same guy who said a longbowman can shoot through a mail coat, then through the thigh of the horseman wearing it, through the saddle, and then kill the horse with one shot? :razz:

FrisianDude said:
Ah, okay. Might be true, but wasn't that the same guy who said a longbowman can shoot through a mail coat, then through the thigh of the horseman wearing it, through the saddle, and then kill the horse with one shot? :razz:

Well, does it matter? Being clueless about what weapons are capable of doesn't necessarily mean he was clueless about what ol' Bill brought with him.

A complete shot in the dark from someone who knows barely anything about history - weren't longbows more the welsh weapon of choice anyway? Therefore, neither Saxons nor Normans would possess them at Hastings. Crossbows would be feasible for the Normans, but I'd rule them out for the Saxons.

PineconeKing said:
A complete shot in the dark from someone who knows barely anything about history - weren't longbows more the welsh weapon of choice anyway? Therefore, neither Saxons nor Normans would possess them at Hastings. Crossbows would be feasible for the Normans, but I'd rule them out for the Saxons.
The longbow was simply a long self-wood(Constructed of one stave) bow about as tall as the bowman.
Great self-wood bows such as this had been found in Scandinavian burials, as far I know.

In any case, a bow is a bow. Being a Longbow, or recurve, of composite or self-wood is all a matter of preference, materials at your disposal, and intended usage.
You wouldn't use a longbow on horseback. You wouldn't make self-wood bows if you lack a good supply of suitable heartwood staves.
The Saxons would have some bows, undoubtedly. Their length or construction isn't as important as their poundage.

Back
Top Bottom