Ye Favorite Mercenary Company

Users who are viewing this thread

So, recently I tried several of the merc companies available, and so far, the one that I have the most success with is The Free Company. The Sellsword Horsemen and Bladesmen are surprisingly effective against the Empire troops that outnumbered us, only supported by Radiant Cross Knights. Shadow Legion Centurions went down to the horsemen, Immortals to the bladesmen. Heck, even the mercenary crossbowmen managed to take down Empire Knights. They really paid for themselves, allowing me to beat the Empire vassals multiple time, with Marius running between his tails with his Jatu mercenary company blindly following him. I even managed to take a castle and even draw a honorable lord over to my side.

The Free Company really paid for themselves and their leader Jarryn Maersow is quite a humorous fellow.

Post your accounts or experiences with mercenary companies.

So here's the list of recruitable mercenary companies that I know of.
The Free Company
Veccavia Renegades
Mettenheim
Sir Timothy's Knights
Snowlion Brigade
1st Banneret of Marleons
Barclay
Melitine

1st Marleons Banneret. 150 or 250 Marleons Heavy Cavalry unleashed on Alaric Brouhaha. That wasn't pretty, but at least the music was nice :smile:

It's huge boost to your early to mid game army since you don't usually (ever?) run with 100+ heavy cavalry.
I tried the Free Company earlier, but that was meh compared to this. But the Free should be better in sieges.

The renegades, their royal archers really massacare sieges, too bad their krom guards suck though. The snowlions are even stronger but they can only be hired if you are at war ravenstern. Any other mercernary companies that are hidden or hard to find?

Sir Timothy's Knights if my favourite. Timothy's dialogue is amusingly hammy and over the top, but that war party is pretty devastating in the field. As well as the Unicorn Knights the Rangers are surprisingly decent in a fight too. I often dismount them so they can provide support fire while the knights have their fun.

I haven't tried that many but the Marleons 1st Banneret is pretty bad-ass. The perfect companion army to take the fight to those damned Jatu.

I got them up to around 880 from killing Zulkar and two Jatu armies. This is what they looked like after using their autocalc to take Sarleon and Falcondark Castle.

Doomstack.png

Also Mercenary armies can save your kingdom in its early days. I took Avendor from the Fierds right after they took it from Sarleon. I was immediately besieged by a 2.5k Fierd doomstack. I survived by hiring a merc company. Every Fierd lord piled on EXCEPT for the one besieging me, who I took out in a separate battle. After finishing the Merc company the Fierd horde found that their marshal was prisoner and dispersed, allowing me to sally out and pick them off one by one.

I haven't managed to hire one yet but I have to say the Marleons  Heavy Cav sounds like a nice addition. Ever since I was playing 3.5 for the first time and i got a few of them as prisoners I've always wanted to run with a posse of them.

thethiefofdarknes said:
The renegades, their royal archers really massacare sieges, too bad their krom guards suck though. The snowlions are even stronger but they can only be hired if you are at war ravenstern. Any other mercernary companies that are hidden or hard to find?
There are exactly 11 of them, some are tough to unlock, and many can be hired by other kings too.

magitsu said:
1st Marleons Banneret. 150 or 250 Marleons Heavy Cavalry unleashed on Alaric Brouhaha. That wasn't pretty, but at least the music was nice :smile:

It's huge boost to your early to mid game army since you don't usually (ever?) run with 100+ heavy cavalry.
I tried the Free Company earlier, but that was meh compared to this. But the Free should be better in sieges.

I agree with everything posted here.
Alaric von Brouhaha has the best battle music in the whole mod.
And the 1st Marleons Banneret is really strong.

Bremmelgod said:
I agree with everything posted here.
Alaric von Brouhaha has the best battle music in the whole mod.
And the 1st Marleons Banneret is really strong.

A shame I can never find him before he gets slaughtered then. :sad:

The Free Company needs to be supported by good soldiers to be effective, but they do make up for their slightly lackluster troops with more than 300 of them. Their lighter cavalry with lances really complement well with the heavier knights that I was using and the mercenary infantry made surprisingly good heavy infantry that were able to hold the line. Can't really say the same for their crossbowmen, most of the damage was done by my armored bowmen, but the crossbowmen made fantastic disposable skirmisher.

Side note, I would really love to visit Singal with Jarryn Maersow if I could.

i disagree about the free company. I hired them once and all of their troops get slaughtered so easily. about half of the army will be armored crossbowmen and armsmen, which are practically useless, and the rest will be sellsword horsemen and bladesmen, which are meh. the mercenary horsemen seem to never do any damage with their swords, but when they can manage to properly use their lances they do okay.

I've tried the Melintines, the Barclay and the Unicorns, but had the most love from the Singlians. They are a bigger party, and add bulk to my smallish all infantry force. Interesting thing that I seem to observe (still haven't really tested it) is that the Singalians don't drop off prisoners when they are sent into town. If this is right, it's  awesome storyline, and a big well done to whoever handled that part of the coding. It's the small differences that make the big differences when it comes to immersing yourself in the world of Pendor.

Realy? theres someone who likes the Mercenery-Party?
I tryed them.. they are just fodder - they just get destroyed, no matter of the terrain.

I prefer the Unicorns for patroling and defending an area, and the Vecca or Mettenheim as Garrison. Maybe Barclay are better, but i cant hire them ;(

Joanita said:
Realy? theres someone who likes the Mercenery-Party?
I tryed them.. they are just fodder - they just get destroyed, no matter of the terrain.
I sometimes use them during sieges, they spawn in huge numbers, crossbowmans are not that bad, and infantry and cavalry are good fodder to lure out enemies and providing your archers with targets.

Back
Top Bottom