• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: Korpi_SkyTime
  • M&BWB
Mobo
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »
Hello again.

Currently I have an Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard and it's alright, if you ignore the fact that it utterly refuses to work with any memory frequencies over 1300MHz and I had to downclock my 1600 in order to be able to run my ******** PC. Considering I spent 400e for this mobo in combination with an i5 2500k which is fine by the way, I'm rather furious. Though this was a few years ago.
I heard it's possible to get it working but it's a dick job and I really can't be arsed to, unless someone of you has a solution.

I'd like to know what motherboard you recommend, it shouldn't be too pricey 200e being the top'ish. It should support my i5 processor.

Splintert

• Grandmaster Knight
    • Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/splintert
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Splintert
  • M&BWB
Re: Mobo
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »
Your motherboard supports up to 2200MHz DDR3. Look in the BIOS settings, in my ASUS motherboard I have the manually increase the RAM's clock rate if I wanted to run higher than 1333MHz.

AKA An_Admin, Ivalis, Strange_Wanderer, Ala_Hakem, Taurus_Verres_Triarius, Abul_al_Khayr, Arccosine, Ytri, Lerath_of_Rivacheg, Sly_Pilgrim, Splintert_NAPW and GA_Splintert
"Giving the people what they want doesn't work if the people are retards...." - Droznig

Kevlar

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Premier of The People's Republic of Chaikas
    • Steam - nksharp
    • Twitch.tv - nksharp
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:22:55 PM »
Failing that do a driver update on it and see if that somehow fixes it.
Find a new avatar you are not scaring anyone.

SkyTime

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »
It indeed claims to support that, and it does, there are settings in bios that lets you do that. It's on automated by default anyway.
It's an error on the damn board itself, whenever I have a frequencies over 1300MHz I have significant problems starting up my PC and it always reverts back to some unstable value of 1300 that doesn't work for jack shit, I can run fine for an hour and then shit hits the fan and all kinds of stuff happen.

I updated my BIOS, changed nothing to the better. My mobo drivers are the latest ones the Asus shitsite offers me and just by googling I can find people with the same issue with the same shitty motherboard. Problem is that there's a million different solutions and a few of them that I bothered to try didn't work. Other idiots just said it's possible but it's a heck of a job.

If you're truly interested in trying to help me (I've asked about this before here without much luck) I can revert back to using these values and take it on video and notes to better explain it, it's been months since I last used 1600MHz.

Otherwise I'd just rather drop this shite and get a proper one.

Kevlar

• Grandmaster Knight
    • Steam - nksharp
    • Twitch.tv - nksharp
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:03:28 PM »
If it is on manual settings and is still downclocking try changing the voltages on the ram, you may have that to low. Find out what voltages your ram is suppose to run at for 1666mhz, most likely 1.5 or 1.75 depending on the manufacturer.

SkyTime

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
If I recall correctly the problem was with these voltages. Anything over 1300MHz would increase the voltage past a certain limit, 1,5 if I'm not mistaken and thus it wouldn't work.

I'm about to depart to bed just now, got some tests tomorrow.
I'll look into it.

Splintert

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:26:07 PM »
Disable any automatic voltage adjustments and set it to 1.5v, increasing by .05 each time it is unstable until it works.

Also check on the RAM sticks themselves to see what kind of settings they want.

AKA An_Admin, Ivalis, Strange_Wanderer, Ala_Hakem, Taurus_Verres_Triarius, Abul_al_Khayr, Arccosine, Ytri, Lerath_of_Rivacheg, Sly_Pilgrim, Splintert_NAPW and GA_Splintert
"Giving the people what they want doesn't work if the people are retards...." - Droznig

SkyTime

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:20:34 AM »
Anything over 1,5v is unstable. I'm starting to remember how this shit actually works. My RAM sticks ought to run at 1,65v at 1600MHz.
I'll take a quick peek into my BIOS to see what kind of settings it offers me, reporting back soon.

Oh, and I also have two of these. http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3_4G.pdf

E: Alright, I couldn't get the print screen function of my UEFI to work so I had to take them with my phone, but it shouldn't be too shabby. Some of the values look pretty fucked to me, considering whenever I load the absolute defaults I get boot failures and it reverts back to these.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Now, I noticed that the voltages shift between 1.500 and 1.503 but I assume there is no real difference in that. I'll get a video showing what the heck happens when I reset the values to the defaults.

(click to show/hide)

I'm currently uploading a video where I accepted the changes, default settings that is, and the boot failure and reverting back to the same ol' shit that I got in the screenshots above. Video quality is shit but enough can be seen. Nevermind, looks like it offers even 720p, meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS_kp55QXkA&feature=youtu.be Here the default settings

And here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBqLT4rY6k&feature=youtu.be with old shit but this time with 1600MHz. It works fine for an hour or two, but I start getting problems pretty quickly, especially when playing games. My computer just completely freezes or crashes and boot failures. GG.

Yeah, now about the DRAM voltage controls. It tells how to increase and decrease but the buttons don't do anything, shit marks appear on the text box with the value in it and nothing happens,
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:17:19 AM by SkyTime »

Splintert

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »
Those are some weird RAM MHz measurements there. Did you modify any of the processor clocks in the motherboard? I think if you change one of the values, it also forces the RAM to run faster which may be causing the problem. It shouldn't be anywhere above or below 1600MHz. In that second video, your CPU target speed is some non-standard 4.3GHz.

What kind of processor do you have? Look up the default clock, voltage, bus speed, and multiplier and force those settings. You should, then, get standard 1333, 1600, 1866, etc measurements instead of the ones that are slightly higher.

SkyTime

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 03:06:22 PM »
I've got an i5 2500k 3.3GHz. It runs at 3.3, or at least pretty close to it, that's just some weird turbo shit.

I haven't really changed anything, it won't let me revert to the defaults either as can be seen from the video. Actually anything I've ever changed is the memory frequency, tried the voltages once I read about them but I couldn't change it for some reason.

Splintert

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »
Oh there's your problem, 2500k isnt compatible with DDR3-1600 if I remember correctly.

SkyTime

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 07:44:31 PM »
If its that easy Im going to laugh. I was planning to update my ram before all this started happening. Though it would be silly if they werent compatible. Im on my phone now so cant check properly either.

E: well looks like I need a new processor. **** this, its even worse than a new mobo. What would you suggest considering my mobo? I planned on picking up some proper RAM too so rather no too strict restrictions.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:54:11 PM by SkyTime »

Splintert

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 07:58:17 PM »
Here's some possibly valid information:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110922151228AApyH6l

You can run it but there is a catch. These Core ix-2000 series processors can only handle the 1333mhz speed. You can go higher but that goes to waste. The secret is simple, run the RAM at 1333mhz but lower the CL timings. If you buy DDR3-1600 RAM at CL8 you should be able to run it at 1333mhz CL7. This is not considered downclocking since you lowered the Cas Latency.

Just run at 1333 with an decreased CL (CAS Latency).

Kevlar

• Grandmaster Knight
    • Steam - nksharp
    • Twitch.tv - nksharp
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »
Oh there's your problem, 2500k isnt compatible with DDR3-1600 if I remember correctly.

What the **** are you talking about :o

SkyTime

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
Google agreed with that. My ram is cl9 so I should be able to drop it to 8 and be fine?