Wings 3d UV mapping Tutorial (Texturing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrdarknezz

Recruit
Hello i decided to make a tutorial on UV mapping since there is so few.
What you need:

Wings 3d, you can find it at http://www.wings3d.com/ (Part 1, Part 2)
A painting program, i highly recommend Adobe photoshop. But a good option is either Gimp http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ or Paint.net http://www.getpaint.net/download.html (Part 2)
Some modelling skills with wings 3d. (always needed :razz:)

Chapters:
Part 1 UV mapping:

Step 1 creating a cube
Step 2 open UV window
Step 3 Coloring part
Step 4 Cutting edges
Step 5 unfolding
Step 6 UV map

Part 2 Editing uv map

Step 1 Outliner
Step 2 Make external
Step 3 Editing/Importing

Part 1:

Step 1. Before i start the tutorial I'm going to explain what UV mapping is. UV mapping is when you cut out the 3d model into a 2d model, and with the 2d model you can export as a .BMP file to edit in a painting software, then you kinda import the .BMP file that you have edit and then you can see that the 3d model looks different. Hopefully you understand a bit how this works now
So lets begin with making an Cube:
Cube.jpg

Step 2. As you can see it's all grey and boring, so the next step is to select it( so the whole cube is red) and right click and then press UV mapping->Direct.
Then a small windows should pop up like this:
UVpopup.jpg
'

Now if you haven't got that window up you probably haven't selected the whole cube. If you haven't selected the whole cube, do so and repeat step 2.

Step 3. Now comes the UV mapping part. Now what you should do is to click each side of the cube, the right click and click on different colors for different sides. When your finished it should look some thing like this:
UVmapping.jpg

Step 4. This is where you cut the model into a 2d images. So what you should now is that you press the edges button. Then you select one of the edges on your cube (in the UV map window) right click and press Mark edges for cut, it should look like this:
Cuttingthe3dmodel.jpg

PS: now that edge that you "Mark edges for cut" should have a green color.

Step 5. When you've done with step 4 you should right click and press Continue->Unfolding
Unfollding.jpg

Step 6. Here you will see a flat images with 6 squares selected, press space to unselect them. After that you should right click and press create texture, then press OK in the little window that pops up:
Createtexture.jpg

Createtexture2.jpg

Createtexture3.jpg

Part 2

This part involves Photoshop so if you don't have photoshop, download one of the photo editing program and try to keep up.

Step 1. Before we do anything on step 1 in part 2 i want you to check part 1 and see that everything is correct, if your done checking that everything is correct we continue. this is the part when we import/export the UV map. So what you should do is that you click Window->Outliner, then a window will pop up, scroll down until you find a picture that looks like the one you have in the UV map window.
Outliner.jpg

Step 2. Right click on the cube icon and press make external, save it in the Wings 3d folder:
Makeexternal.jpg

Step 3. Open the file that you saved in the Wings 3d folder and edit it with in the colored area. When you done editing save the file, open up wings 3d, right click on the icon and press refresh and you will see the result:

Createtexture3.jpg

cube12_auv.jpg

refresh.jpg

result.jpg

How convenient!  :grin:

Just when i was starting to get curious about modding and making new models, someone makes a texturing tut. This is great, i cant wait to try it out and see if i can't finally texture something.

Edit* I just tinkered with it and i successfully textured a cube!

This truly is a great and easy tut, especially if i can figure it out! Amazing work.  :mrgreen:

Well since you guys seems to like maybe someone should stick it so it doesn't disappear in a week :sad:, it would feel like a total waste of time if it does. Anyways when you press create textures in the 2d window you should select draw all edges. or it will be harder for you to make details in the photo editing program. If anyone has any good feedback except that it was good would be appreciated. Still hopes this help you guys

Meh, doesn't matter. At least it's easier to find one of these now, than it is using the search button that nearly every new forum member is oblivious to.

Necro or no, good he dug it up, I was just looking for something like this. Perhaps we could sticky such things? Or add to the mod tools tutorials section?

Plausible. Only for istance I didn't do it, simply because I didn't fathom the tutorial would be there.
Oh, and yer caps lock broke.

Ye, i think this should be sticked or something. Because it's really the basic info you need to know about texturing in wings 3d. I made this tutorial because i couldn't find any other good wings 3d tutorial at that timw
e

Back
Top Bottom