SCRIPTORIUM AMANUENSIS - 1257 AD Artworks

Users who are viewing this thread

Halgrim said:
scene in the snow on a background of trees looks very nice.

in game
if i may ask you,dont show pictures with armour that is not in da mod please,its from rus13th century.we dont like to have people confused or get raped by admins for using models without permission

Halgrim said:
I use them for themselves and not to spread. What's the problem?
The problem is that, if someone goes pointing fingers, it will be us(me, probably) who will deal with the possible fallout. Use whatever items from wherever you wish in private, Kuauik only asks not to spread pictures of it. Thanks.

First off - awesome work!

F.F.C._fritz said:
By the way, I know there are a lot of history buffs from the Balkans too playing this game, so I'd like to ask you if you could help me with information and, most wanted, archaeological and visual medieval sources for the Serbs' troop tree. If possible, name me an event (a battle, maybe) between 1230-65. The only sources I could find of medieval Serbs is a very generic Osprey book on Hungary and nearby regions. I know about an obvious strong byzantine influence, but if you know more, share!  :grin:
I can help with Bulgaria (f.e. the battle of Klokotnitsa, 1230 - Bulgarians and Cumans vs. Epirotes and Western mercenaries (you can check my E1200 reference pics too - the difference in equipment is minimal, only maces became more popular (or the pages around Klokotnitsa's here))), but for Serbia... I'll ask around - there are many Serbs here and on the TWC who might be able to help. I don't think there would be much of a difference though...

Sotuu said:
at the time they werent so meticulous with their weapons.
Primary sources or it didn't happen.  :razz: I don't know of a single sword thrust into the ground from someone who was not dying.

Sticking something into the ground and the slashing with it an enemy increases the chances of an infection! (dunno if they did that with swords, perhaps they did not knew it back then  :eek:).

Tho for gossip purposes, didn't some nomads like to stick there swords into horse poop before battle, for the same infection reason

NikeBG said:
First off - awesome work!

F.F.C._fritz said:
By the way, I know there are a lot of history buffs from the Balkans too playing this game, so I'd like to ask you if you could help me with information and, most wanted, archaeological and visual medieval sources for the Serbs' troop tree. If possible, name me an event (a battle, maybe) between 1230-65. The only sources I could find of medieval Serbs is a very generic Osprey book on Hungary and nearby regions. I know about an obvious strong byzantine influence, but if you know more, share!  :grin:
I can help with Bulgaria (f.e. the battle of Klokotnitsa, 1230 - Bulgarians and Cumans vs. Epirotes and Western mercenaries (you can check my E1200 reference pics too - the difference in equipment is minimal, only maces became more popular (or the pages around Klokotnitsa's here))), but for Serbia... I'll ask around - there are many Serbs here and on the TWC who might be able to help. I don't think there would be much of a difference though...

Wow, that's a lot of useful stuff! Thank you very much for the infos!  :mrgreen:
Only now I reckon Serbia and Bulgaria share the same troop tree - so I can use your stuff serenely.
I'll direct further searching towards Bulgaria as well, maybe I will find infos easier.

For the sword in the ground, tough honestly I know nothing about how to keep a sword, I must say that, in the drawing, the snow is intended to reach the knees of the characters so that the point of the sword is only inside the high snow, not planted into the ground.  :grin:

F.F.C._fritz said:
Only now I reckon Serbia and Bulgaria share the same troop tree - so I can use your stuff serenely.
I'll direct further searching towards Bulgaria as well, maybe I will find infos easier.
Nope, Bulgars and Serbs are different for a good while now  :mrgreen:

DrTomas said:
F.F.C._fritz said:

Oh.  :sad:
So, do Bulgars have their own troop tree? I'm still basing myself on the info I can find in the threads, but maybe they are becoming bit obsolete.

Yes. Since Serbians where separated into a separate troop tree, they no longer cause havoc here at the forums with there nationalistic uber history anymore.  :mrgreen:

Who says, you can't win things with terrorism....

Anyways, I'm currently redoing the structure for most of the troops. No more any wacky stupid troop tree designs, that made me have nightmares. Everything is remade into pragmatic and optimal fashion now.... Tho a new troop tree or two is also planed, which will surely give me(and probably Kuauik as well) new nightmares

DrTomas said:
If we're to be historically accurate, there are no Bulgars in 1257 (unless you count the Volga Bulgars under Mongol dominion as Bulgars), only Bulgarians. :razz:

F.F.C._fritz said:
I can help with that, if you want (and if you tell me what you need).
Otherwise, I've sent some messages to a few Serbian friends of mine, who are good with history and have some modding experience, and directed them to this thread. Let's hope they have some images as well, because (indeed) I've seen only a few Serbs in the Ospreys (and I don't quite like the style of Ian Heath's books).

DrTomas said:
Yes. Since Serbians where separated into a separate troop tree, they no longer cause havoc here at the forums with there nationalistic uber history anymore.  :mrgreen:

Who says, you can't win things with terrorism....

Anyways, I'm currently redoing the structure for most of the troops. No more any wacky stupid troop tree designs, that made me have nightmares. Everything is remade into pragmatic and optimal fashion now.... Tho a new troop tree or two is also planed, which will surely give me(and probably Kuauik as well) new nightmares
I hope you can remake the troop trees for major factions too, specially France and Empire. They are a bit boring now.

F.F.C._fritz said:
By the way, I know there are a lot of history buffs from the Balkans too playing this game, so I'd like to ask you if you could help me with information and, most wanted, archaeological and visual medieval sources for the Serbs' troop tree. If possible, name me an event (a battle, maybe) between 1230-65. The only sources I could find of medieval Serbs is a very generic Osprey book on Hungary and nearby regions. I know about an obvious strong byzantine influence, but if you know more, share! :grin:
Seek no further!
I will send you a ton of pics of the XIII century Serbian warriors.
Trust me, if NikeBG is a Bulgarian history buff, I am a Serbian buff (but I am much taller and handsomer than Nike, of course), so there will not be anything non-historical on those pics... and if you see a Serbian dragon-rider on some pic, it also means it's true.
Now, jokes aside, I will send those pics to you tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

hello guys! nikeBG told me to help you out with serbian troops
first of all, i can say that troops that nike posted for bulgarians can fit serbians too, it's typical byzantine type of dressing, although i have to put some commentaries on serbian cultural influences, so as troop influences.
as for period (1257) it's the most boring in serbian history. reign of stephen urosh I nemanjic was the longest and most idle. he was a bit forgotten in serbian history cause he was not "man of war". although recorded he had the largest army in serbian medieval history (decades of preparing army for campaign against byz empire), he was scared to do any campaign against byzantine empire, but he's reign made structure of future serbia, and his son's, milutin.

Cultural influences

serbia was in cultural influence of byzantine empire, but also western europe. what describes serbia in middle ages is this sentence: "The Serbian army was feudal in nature, though its system of military landholding was inherited from the Byzantine pronoia rather than the Western European fief. "

serbians were on border of two dominant culture. being orthodox, and interest pointed toward byz empire made their basic cultural influence by byz empire. many court titles were taken from byz empire, so as dressing of kings. but having ragusa as trade city of venice, and being in allied relationship with normans, so as hostility toward hungary, they also took western cultural influence. here's the map i made, blue is western culture and red is byz culture influence, they both appear in medieval serbia, although byz culture was more dominant.

balkans1265.jpg

for following development of serbia and serbian army, our best example are monasteries and churches. i will quote description of djurdjevi stupovi monastery:

". The architecture of the Saint George Pillars Monastery is very characteristic representing unique synthesis of two medieval construction concepts, Byzantine in the East and Roman in the West"

"The combination of Byzantine spatial arrangement and Roman architecture resulted in original symbiosis that has been the ground for special architectural style"

so, following architecture of sebia, we can see clash of both influences, making serbian architecture unique and distinguished from other's, in those periods called Rascian style of architecture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rascian_architecture)

this can be seen through monasteries like zica, basic structure is byzantine:

manastir_zica_01.jpg

3a244-_ZTR4675.JPG

but the details of zica monastery are done in western romanesque

50464319.jpg

44396.jpg

manastir-zica-zid-pozor.jpg

same goes for monastery studenica
basic structure byzantine style

studenica333.jpg

and details on studenica, which resembles western romanesque

7799594-north-vestibule-serbian-orthodox-monastery-studenica-near-city-of-kraljevo.jpg

1289872353T8Oivd.jpg

stock-photo-three-sided-apse-serbian-orthodox-monastery-studenica-60716083.jpg

why is this important? cause it can tell us a lot about cultural influence in other thing like army of serbia, which will i put pics of.

Army of Serbia in mid 13th century

here are some drawings of monastery paintings with commentaries that will help you for sure

1serb12-13thc.jpg

2serblate12th.jpg

3serb1230.jpg

4serb1265.jpg

5serb1296.jpg

6serb1300.jpg

to be continued...

so to continue with my post

Helmets

main differences of serbian army and rest of byz influenced armies were helmets. most of the helmets were imported from dubrovnik, and venice, so there's no wonder why serbs had chapelle de fleur (kettle hat) helmets. chapelle de fleur helmets are the mostly seen helmets on serbian frescoes, but not only one. many of the helmets are two pieced byzantine style helmets, and regular round helmets with metal decoration on top of them (can be seen in osprey, check that 14th century guy, and his helmet http://www.mycity-military.com/imgs2/153035_53861027_Corel1.jpg)

some of the kettle helmet to be used

ir80625_main.jpg

A000035.jpg

29495646.jpg

41824927.jpg

30803106.jpg

two piece byz helmet

serbarmy34edd8p.jpg

55906492.jpg

53275595.png

and decoration of helmets, it was either decoration with feathers (serbs with feathers on helmets or caps are described in ottoman times, and it is written that it's long tradition before ottomans. same thing can be seen on frescoes, also similar thing can be seen on neighbor bosnia coins) or metal bent decorations

11111rcu.jpg

43655741.jpg

50800709.png

srb2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom