Misc > Software & Hardware

Computer Freezing a lot lately... Memory issue? (need help again)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Marcus Fulvius Optimus:

--- Quote from: Marcus Fulvius Optimus on September 21, 2012, 02:03:24 PM ---Post exact type, brand, model of RAM (the one you've had and the one you've added) and PSU!
 ...HDD and check it's health with for example Crystal Disk Info!

--- End quote ---

Also - open your case, wipe off any dust and, disconnect and reconnect everything (only cables and connectors). I used to have some similar problems, tried reinstalling OS and so on but it only helped for a while. Turned out there was a bad contact somewhere.

Sound Chaser:
Are you sure your motherboard can support that much RAM? Mine can support only like... 3GBs(?) and it's the same age as yours. Also, the RAM could be broken. To test it, use a program called memtest. Also, all that's been suggested.

Splintert:
If you have a 32-bit OS you can only use around 3GB.

royabriant:
It might be hardware or driver related issue. Most commonly over heating. Also the "AUTO" settings in BIOS *may not* produce a stable setting.  You have to goto the ASUS support website and download the latest memory QVL and lookup the memory settings for your particular brand there. Some useful info for you here in the answer: techyv.com/questions/random-process-freezing-asus-laptop

Quixote:
Hi, SO I know it's been a while and forum nubs go ahead, call me a necro!
BUT I finally decided to stop being lazy and try and fix this...

SO I have run a lot of tests and will tell you about them to rule some things out
Here are my exact specs for my DDR2 RAM slots:
1. hynix - Korea 04 - 2GB 2Rx8 PC2-6400U-666-12 HYMP125U64CP8-S6 AB-C 0806
2. hynix - Korea 09 - 2GB 2Rx8 PC2-6400U-666-12 HYMP125U64CP8-S6 AB 1030
3. PNY - 2GB, DD2, DIMM, 1 B0QIT PO 145726.1 (THIS one didn't have jack shit on the sticker for some reason, best info I got)
4. hynix - Korea 09 - 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300U-555-12 HYMP512U64CP8-Y5 AB 0727

These are all DDR2. As a reminder the complete lock-up freezes have only happened to me during online play for certain games. I would freeze more quickly if I made the game server. Games like Sanctum, Planetside 2, Mount&Blade are OK. Games like Torchlight II, Age of Empires III, Age of Empires II, Minecraft (sometimes), are not. I've tried a few things:
-Got a new 1TB Hard Drive, put all data except the Operating system there.
-Changed DRAM voltage in the BIOS to 1.8v (nope) and 2.2v (nope). Put back on Auto.
These have not worked^^

This though produced some nice results...
All of my testing I did through Torchlight II with my friend, as this seemed to freeze me the quickest. I ended up switching out my sticks of RAM. Removing old ones, removing the new ones, and here are some results.
I tried with all different combos of sticks of RAM. Then I did RAM #1 and #2 (listed above) alone. These are the newer sticks. Torchlight II froze as normal.
Then I tried with my 2 older sticks. RAM #3 and #4. No freakin freezing! the 1GB and the 2GB, and me and my friend played Torchlight II for a few hours with no freezing. Then we left it on while I went to work. No freezing. I thought I was golden! "New sticks must have been bad RAM!" My problem is solved!

Then...
Tonight I played Age of Empires II with my friends. I made the game "oh yeah I'm fine now!!"
Froze.
What the FFF.
Just like it had before.
This happens usually when we are a tad bit along in the game. I would say maybe because there is a lot of action going on? Lots of soldiers, lots of memory I'm having to deal with more users other than myself. Liek I said before I am directly connected to my router if that helps...

We tried reconnecting to the game, this time my friend hosting it, on a restored version of our game.

I joined the restored game, and immediately I got a freeze. It was the point of the game where I froze last time. Just when I thought my new RAM was to blame, with our Torchlight II successes....while playing with my old RAM, this happens.

OK - I really need some genius to help me figure this out. Before I just freakin wipe out my computer and buy a new system. I don't have the $$ to really do that. And if you are google-searching this and know the answer, please make a bloody account on taleworlds and answer this thread!!

Thank you guys for your help. If you need anymore info let me know I will get it promptly. Again...THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version