Warband – 2013: Christmas with the Infantry Family
- Hey ! Hey Grand Pa !
- Yes Timmy, what is it ?
- I was on the official server the other day, and one of my mates in the regiment, he said... he said that cavalry did exist before ! Everybody knows that these are fairy tales ! Cavalrymen doesn't exist, right ? Right Daddy ?
- Well Timmy... cavalry did exist at one point. It was way before you started playing Call of Duty, and way before you killed your first noob with a bayonet. Back in the ancient times, times way before the Napoleonic Wars DLC, there was a mod. And this mod was named M&M.
- Like the candies ?
- Yes Timmy, like the candies. This antic time was known as the Age of Cavalry. Fierce hussars and lancers alike would swipe the ennemies on the battlefield in heroic charges, trample the infantry formations and slash the footmen with their sabers in a fury that has yet to be seen again. Some say that the restless souls of those cavalrymen who died on the battlefield still wander on the forums, necro-animating threads, trolling the innocents, and pushing their agenda to prepare their return.
- Wait what !? So they did exist ? But what happened to them ?
- They disappeared Timmy ! They all disappeared. They are now completely extinct. The Age of Infantry was coming along with the Napoleonic Wars DLC, and a new era begun. Slowly, the number of cavalrymen went fewer and fewer, and as the infantry dominated the world, they went extinct, and were never to be seen again. Some say they left the shore of The Game to new kingdoms where they would find happiness and inner peace.
- But why exactly did they left us Daddy ?
- We deserved it. Well, they tried to warn us. We didn't listen. We grew in numbers, we imposed our views on them and the patchnotes. We limited their numbers in battles, we forced them to concede more and more grounds and obey to our revendications concerning the balance and the metagame. We didn't really quite take care of them, as they were not representative of the Community of the Game, since it is mostly composed with infantry like you and me Timmy.
Wait ... daddy, is that a tear on your cheek ?
- Yes Timmy, I... I kinda miss them now.
- Infantry is OP, but that's not a problem, because infantry is mainly playing with and against other infantry. It's looking a bit too much consanguine, but that seems to be a tradition in the Infantry family. A nerf of the infantry (the speed of the bayonet really, the rest we can deal with it) is really necessary, yet it wont be done.
- Vincenzo as usual haven't said anything. I would gladly give him my feedback, but I can't tell if that's some kind wait & see attitude, or just that he probably has something else to do ? Whatever you are waiting for, this is my feedback and I think I speak in the name of all the competent cavalrymen that participate in linebattles : The balance of the game is broken right now.
- I'm not even kidding, 6 months frow now, there wont be any structured and organized cavalry regiment left to play with you in linebattles. First because the balance is bad, it's not fun to play cavalry anymore and recruiting becomes harder and harder, second because the rules of the linebattles are really crippling cavalry regiment's capacity to recruit (well yeah, if you can only have one regiment in a linebattle...), and fight in a coordinated manner with other cavalry regiments.
The purpose of the thread: Express my concerns and try to wake you up. At least I said what I had to say. I pretty much stated my point of view, I'm not open for a discussion that would lead nowhere, therefore I will leave this thread as it is and read some answers, but I wont debate.
PS: If you consider the balance of the game in relation to your personal experience outside of a linebattle context, on a random deathmatch or official server, you totally missed the point of the thread. The game is balanced around the linebattles, if you manage to kill a bunch of brainless footmen on the official server, that doesn't mean you're good, nor that you're overpowered, just that you're a bit smarter than the average infantry noob : bravo.