Disarming and picking up weapons offa the battlefield

Users who are viewing this thread

:idea: Yes!

It's a bit unfun to run around on the tourneys with one bow and no arrows, especially when there are lances and swords and even spare arrows lying around. :sad:

I think it should be limited to the following:

Weapon
Gold

Any more than that and it would include you undressing the warrior in the middle of the battlefield. A small sum of their overall money - %10 or so, and the ability to loot their weapon would be a godsend.

Hell yes! I hate being a foot archer in the arena, unless I'm 100% sure I'll kill off the enemy team in quick order. I especialy hate it when there's a guy with a shield rushing at me and I can't shoot past his shield... but that's where you just hold the arrow ready till he lowers his shield to strike.. then pop him in the head with it.

This could be abused, however. Say you have a crappy weapon, and you went up against some dark knights who caught you running around? You could just steal a dark knight's weapon and then hack them to bits. Sure it sounds like fun, but what are chances of you stealing a knight's weapon while he's charging you with his horse?

I think i saw once in the arena a sneaky little bugger. I was an archer and he was approaching me with his shield up. I did the traditional thing and waited for him to lower his shield. He did for a split second but put it back up just as my arrow was launched. He proceeded to slash my buttocks.

When I first started playing I had 24 arrows. I shot them, missed and there it was on the ground....

Does it make any sense for our quivers to be auto refilled (always to max) between/after battles? (no)

But, there is no reason we cant pickup/use spare arrows and weapons. Armor, no, shields? mb.. horses? duh (cept mb high lvl trained ones are too loyal to fallen master, yada yada)

Disarming would be very nice addition to combat system and it could make unarmed combat useful.

I also think we should be able to pick up weapons from the battlefield.

Disarming would defenitely need to be done unarmed, otherwise there's no reliable way to make sure you knock that damn sword out of their hands. It should also be a skill you add points to. More points, the higher the level of the people you can disarm and the faster they can be going towards you when you do it. That would be awesome to just grab an archer's quiver as you ride past him and leave him high and dry.

Can 'O' Soup said:
Disarming would defenitely need to be done unarmed, otherwise there's no reliable way to make sure you knock that damn sword out of their hands. It should also be a skill you add points to. More points, the higher the level of the people you can disarm and the faster they can be going towards you when you do it. That would be awesome to just grab an archer's quiver as you ride past him and leave him high and dry.

I would like to see how you are going to disarm someone who is swinging a sword when you are unarmed.

I think it would be nice if there was possibility of dropping your weapon if you block with it. Having points in appropriate weapon skill could reduce the possibility of dropping your weapon.

Worbah said:
How soon does rigor mortis kick in BTW?
According to wikipedia:
"Assuming mild temperatures, rigor usually sets in about 3-4 hours after clinical death, with full rigor being in effect at about 12 hours, and eventually subsiding to relaxation at about 36 hours."

The onset of rigor mortis may range from 10 minutes to several hours, depending on factors including temperature (rapid cooling of a body can inhibit rigor mortis, but it occurs upon thawing). Maximum stiffness is reached around 12-24 hours post mortem.
EDIT: got beaten :sad:

You could disarm a sword that is being swung at you by grabbing the hilt and changing the direction of the momentum of the sword. That's the basic concept of most martial arts. If you can control someone else's momentum in addition to your own you can control them.

Can 'O' Soup said:
You could disarm a sword that is being swung at you by grabbing the hilt and changing the direction of the momentum of the sword. That's the basic concept of most martial arts. If you can control someone else's momentum in addition to your own you can control them.

Sure it migh be a concept, but I don't think it is much more realistic than catching arrows with your hands. Unless your opponent is absolutely useless, you won't be able to grab the hilt of his sword before you are stabbed or cut.

That's why you would have points in the skill. It isn't actually all that uncommon to be able to disarm someone who is swinging a big object at you. You do have some warning, especially if you are a trained fighter. It's only about as unrealistic as a trained martial artist being able to stop someone from punching them and breaking their arm. It can easily happen. Hell, you could use a small dagger to stab through someone's wrist while they're swinging at you and disarm them like that.

now you master ninjas....
how do you suppose to disarm a veteran-super-cool dark knight with your pathetic excuse of a weapon??

Can 'o' soup didn't say you can disarm everyone easily.

Disarming is very difficult and risky to perform, even against novice. It must be near impossible to disarm a dark knight.

You almost have to have a weapon to disarm somebody properly. Because it is best to get ther wepon in a bind and then disarm them.

I have to be honest, I don't really see the point in disarming an enemy in battle in this game. If you disarm someone, what are you going to do next? Kill him, of course. Well, if you're getting close enough to wrench a guy's sword out of his hand, surely you're close enough to ram a sword through his stomach instead, after which taking his sword becomes a lot easier. It might be useful if you're having a one-on-one duel with someone and don't want to kill him -- or just want to show off before you do kill him -- but otherwise I don't see much actual need for this skill.

On the other hand, the other topic sort of covered in this thread -- picking up the weapons of the dead -- there I agree you shouldn't be able to get his armor, or anything else that would require a lot of rummaging around on his person, but if he's laying there with a weapon or a shield in his dead grip, no reason I can think of why you shouldn't be able to snatch it up and use it. Arrows that have been fired... well, I think there should be at least some small chance that the arrow will break when you try to pull it out, especially if it's stuck in an enemy, but again, I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to try this.

Back
Top Bottom