Author Topic: Brutality Mode  (Read 22590 times)

soulmata

• Look to the sky just before you die
    • View Profile
    • Playithardcore.com - All of the glory, none of the dying
  • Faction: Bandit
Re: Brutality Mode
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 12:10:33 AM »
Just a question, when you say it can never be turned off do you mean for that save file only or every character made after the one you activate it will be forced to do the brutality mod?

Only for that given save. If you make a new game or reload an older save (quit without saving and load a save prior to enabling it), it's turned off.

That's important for people who use auto-save: If you use auto-save, once you've clicked Enable, you're stuck with it, so be careful!
(click to show/hide)

ronus

• Recruit
  • What is Balla?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 03:09:24 AM »
U can turn it off each time you start a new game, and before reaching lvl 3, importing characters is not a problem, but make sure the mod is off before importing char lvl 3+ (I don't know if u can disable after it)  :)

P.S. If u reach certain lvl  with char (3+) and edit it's xp to 1 and then import your char u won't be disable brutality mode anyways :P

Bombzero

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
conscripting still works, that is all.

not sure if intentional, but its kinda funny to rob every village in the rhodoks land for 2 denar a recruit.

also, im a little bit of a M&B noob, but how do you get a 'independent' nation? i have always sided with one of the factions in vanilla.

Lord Samuel

• Sergeant Knight
  • Halmar Res Publica - Libertas & Iustitia
    • View Profile
  • WB
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 12:47:44 AM »
U can turn it off each time you start a new game, and before reaching lvl 3, importing characters is not a problem, but make sure the mod is off before importing char lvl 3+ (I don't know if u can disable after it)  :)

P.S. If u reach certain lvl  with char (3+) and edit it's xp to 1 and then import your char u won't be disable brutality mode anyways :P

I don't see why the character importing should be a problem at all. Characters are just text files, aren't they? You can import/export whatever you want, whenever you like it, right? Am I missing something?

Bombzero

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 01:01:34 AM »
I think, that brutality mode is off by default so importing any char should work fine if you DONT want brutality mode, i think hes saying that you cant turn it ON with a char above lvl 3.

soulmata

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 03:37:27 AM »
you cant turn it ON with a char above lvl 3.

Correct

though that might be broken currently.
(click to show/hide)

Captain_Octavius

• World Coordinator
  • Sergeant Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • WB
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
What about rather than preventing recruitment from villages that you don't own, make it so that you can recruit but doing so pisses off the faction and/or Lord who owns the village. Basically you are stealing his property, I think that justifies attacks on sight. Perhaps also make recruitment harder in this case, requiring more reputation with the village to get recruits?

Or if this is too easy for Brutality mode, it could perhaps be a separate toggle option for non-Brutality mode?

<edit> Who changed my avatar and why?  :shock:

<edit2> Ah very funny, it changes with every page load.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:35:34 PM by Captain_Octavius »
Polished Native Troops - The mod that fixes and polishes your Native troops!

Subitai

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • MP nick: Subitai
  • WB
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »
I know you're sick of me suggesting this every few months or so...but what would really go well with Brutality mode or any "Extra Difficulty" train of thought is:

Choppable or hackdown Doors during Sieges.   Why Not?  Multiplayer has it so it must be possible.

I'd rather have that scary possibility to watch out for then to look for 2 laters on a wall.    Not that all the beautiful work Done for the Siege add on was not appreciated.    Excellent job for those.

Even if you can't get the AI to run different routes  (ala one group to ladder and a seperate group to assault a door)  It still would be a Great single player option to be able to tell your HEROS to follow me and run to the back of a castle and chop the door down.

That would ROCK!  Somebody has to agree with that?????
"O"

bearyn

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
When i first started the game it asked me to enable Brutality Mode, now i want to start from over without this mode but it doesn't ask me to choose. Now will it be enable or disable when i start a new game?

afruitlesshippo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
I loved attacking the Dark Knights, I tricked one of them into joining me and that gave me all of their buildings then I indicted him for treason

13th Warrior

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 06:06:18 AM »
Hey I am new to this site but I love the game. The premise you have is great. I've been waiting for someone to add a dynastic feel to this game that would imcorporate death and succesion like the old Sword of Damocles for Mount and Blade. I can appreciate the Brutality angle but why not give the player character the opportunity to settle and build his own castle, or claim  lands.  This will give them an opportunity to rise...Hey as a matter of fact what if  there were just one gov't center and all others were independant? Alliances could be made through marriages and politcs and bloodlines to create new dynasties, and revolt with the ultimate claim the real crown of Calradia. Can this be done?  I think with a serious death code option this would expand the scope of the game. 

zeldatasd

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 08:42:09 AM »
I tried to do this mode and figured out how to start.
Here is what I did.
Start -->

0. --> got forced citizens --> raised them --> they are not strong and die easily --> couldn't get this troop type often --> failed
1. --> got Mercenary --> spammed cavalry Mercenary -> no money --> failed + Mercenary calvary is too weak to use
2. --> got Mercenary --> spammed range Mercenary --> got town --> getting attacked by 1000+ men --> failed

so I think I will do massive range Mercenary next game.
---------------
Note: at first, I thought I would try to get castles but since they are rare to besiege by AI so it was cancelled.
---------------

This mode is really hard and the game often likes this.

first --> everyone makes a truce
30-40 days later --> declare the war, targeting on cities
about 60 days later --> DK comes and gets about 4-5 towns then stop and start to lose

After playing for a while, I still feel that DK should get more cities or ruin the map more than this like
Sword of Damocles : imperial invasion (about 80+ lords invading the map and conquering all the map at the end like zombies.)

Another thing I found out is when I hit praven queen by using ivory arrow and a good bow(15p), she got only 30+ damage... on the first shot... oh well...

Also, I have a question. What the weapon that swadian priest uses? (blunt weapon)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:28:09 AM by zeldatasd »

Hyomoto

• Recruit
  • Done been thinking again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 01:37:23 AM »
I understand the thought process behind removing training and surgery skills, but my question would be why not just limit their potential?  For instance, if training is locked in at -4, why not just have that be a penalty?  Or change the values for each level?  Similar with surgery.  The reason I bring this up is because from the outside you have two factors, one: they are both INT abilities, and two: its kind of like adding health to enemies; it's a fake difficulty.  You could get the same effect by not allowing the player to swing to the left.

Obviously the purpose of this mode is to make it hardest of the hard.  So I'm not saying this because I envy this mode and want to play.  I'm more speaking from a logical viewing of the matter.  Obviously training represents in-camp preparation of troops, which when disabled assumes the troops will only level up and get better in the heat of battle.  As a commander, that's stupid.  Not drilling your recruits to make it harder on yourself is a silly notion at best, downright idiotic to any casual observer.  Surgery is a bit of the same, but though I understand completely why you'd remove it (eventually nobody dies!), I do question why not just limit its function.  Right now it's a 5% increase?  How about a .5% increase with a 5% hard cap?

But most of all, if you static two abilities, you remove those sinks and free up points to go elsewhere.  I would posit if you deemed it reasonable to disable it, it is also reasonable to think they must be a little popular.  And for all intents and purposes, if the player wanted that kind of difficulty they could just not invest.
"I'm willing to bet a kilt-adorned scottish warrior lambasting an english knight lade with steel like a 1950's vision of a robot from the future could rend his opponent with a claymore not so dissimilar to how we might engage a tin can with an opener."

soulmata

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 12:26:46 AM »
Brutality is a pet extension of mine which targets specific areas of the game I feel are imbalanced in favor of the player. It's not going for realism - though I AM striving to maintain non-fake-difficulty for NE by itself. For Brutality, don't expect it to be fair, or reasonable or even playable.

(click to show/hide)

mesor

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • NW
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
Brutality rocks but i dont think it goes far enough :) in 3 hours of play time on my first ever time on this ive got an army of 50 vaegirs 20 of them high end to top tier bowmen and 30 high end to top tier infantry ( im gonna toss them in favor of nords ) and 3 companions plus 4 dye shops.

Once id got my first 25 or so vaegirs to bowmen and seargents i started tearing throgh bandits and the like easily and now my missile units can virtually kill full groups of bandits and severely harm merc bands :).
Although on mercs i do purposely headshot horses just incase they make it past the wall of arrows my men unleash on them.

Only bit i found thats good is that the better companions are exspensive and take time to convince to join im planning to toss all the basic companions in favor of a small group of the stronger ones.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
 It always wins because it is everywhere.
 It is in the wood that burns in your hearth, and in the kettle on the fire; it is under your chair and under your table and under the sheets on your bed. Walk in the midday sun, and the dark is with you, attached to the soles of your feet.
 The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.

I am the smoke in your eyes , I am the ghost that hides in the night.