Poll

Which helmets would you like to see in the next version of M&B?

1. Maciejowski Bible Helm
2. Houndskull bascinet (AKA 'Pigface bascinet')
3. klappvisor bascinet
4. Sallet with bevor
5. Great Bascinet
6. Armet
7. Sallet without bevor
8. 14th century great helm
9. Chichak (or çiçak) style helmets
10. Kettle hat with bevor
11. 'Turban' helmets
12. Kipchak style masked helmets
13. Other

Author Topic: New helmets  (Read 38699 times)

Dryvus

• Sufficiently Suffonsified
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • Hit me with your rhythm stick.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: kg_SerDryvus
  • M&BWB
Re: New helmets
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »
Heh... yeah, just wild fantasizing on my part.
It'd be cool to see a mod where if you wore a grotesque, lower-end enemy troops suffered in morale or somesuch.
"When the castle falls, all those inside will be put to the sword. Your herds will be butchered, your godswood will be felled, your keeps and towers will burn. I'll pull your walls down, and divert the Tumblestone over the ruins. By the time I'm done no man will ever know that a castle once stood here." Jaime got to his feet. "Your wife may whelp before that. You'll want your child, I expect. I'll send him to you when he's born. With a trebuchet."

Aqtai

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2007, 12:25:25 AM »
I've added another picture of 14th century great helms to the first post, including one with a rather impressive (and slightly lobsided :)) crest.
BLACK KNIGHT: 'Tis but a scratch.

ARTHUR: A scratch? Your arm's off.

Monty Python and The Holy Grail. 1977 

Lt. of the tower

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2007, 12:30:54 PM »
I've added another picture of 14th century great helms to the first post, including one with a rather impressive (and slightly lobsided :)) crest.

Kewl, looks fierce and daunting!

Flash_Knight

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2007, 12:47:04 AM »
I think great helms would be the best to wear cuz they look like they would provide the most defense
rubber ducky!

Lt. of the tower

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2007, 03:22:40 AM »
I think great helms would be the best to wear cuz they look like they would provide the most defense

Not that good if a horse kicks u in the face, but yeah they're cool. i prefer helmets like the basinet where u can see ur face.

Aqtai

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2007, 09:47:19 AM »

They were also cumbersome, clumsy and had very poor visibilty. Which is one of the reasons why after 1350 AD (or thereabouts) they were only used for tournements and lighter, more flexible helmets such as bascinets, then later sallets and armets were used instead.

Lt. of the tower

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2007, 03:11:55 AM »

They were also cumbersome, clumsy and had very poor visibilty. Which is one of the reasons why after 1350 AD (or thereabouts) they were only used for tournements and lighter, more flexible helmets such as bascinets, then later sallets and armets were used instead.

another reason y i don't like them that much and they look oversized in game to me.

Aqtai

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2007, 04:29:39 PM »
I'm adding a couple of pictures I came across of a pair of very early armets from around 1410-1420 AD. One has lost it's visor and the other never seems to have had one in the first place:
http://www.mallet-argent.com/images/S18_armet_front.jpg
http://www.mallet-argent.com/images/S18_armet_side.jpg
http://www.mallet-argent.com/images/early_armet_med.jpg

Incontinent_Knight

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2007, 02:33:35 AM »
I voted for the Biblical helmet since it looks like a cooler version of the current great helmet and would thus be fairly easy to incorporate into the game i.e. just base it on the current great helmet.

I also just preferred it to the armet (what's with that weird bit that sticks out? It looks like something a person with a really long, sharp nose might need.) :lol:

Valthord

• Knight at Arms
  • Killed the dragon, killed by a wolf.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2007, 05:14:09 PM »
Sallet with bevor looks like stuff of a real knight. Maybe I played as Holy Roman Empire in Medieval 2 Total War too much.

(Gothic Knights are my favorite.)
~A GIANT SIGNATURE HERE~

Aqtai

• View Profile
More pictures: Renaissance parade helmets
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2007, 03:28:41 PM »
I'd like to see The Hound's black snarling-dog helm from A Song Of Ice And Fire.

I've got some pictures of grotesque helmets, as I mentioned before I personally am NOT in favour of these helmets as I feel that do not feel they fit in with the M&B setting because 1) most of these are 16th century helmets, not Medieval helmets and 2) because they are parade helmets and not designed for combat. In fact the decoration and embossing compromises their defensive properties.

Here you go, click on the thumbnails:

I suppose these would fit into the "other" category as "Renaissance parade helmets".

Lt. of the tower

Re: More pictures: Renaissance parade helmets
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2007, 06:00:38 AM »
I'd like to see The Hound's black snarling-dog helm from A Song Of Ice And Fire.

I've got some pictures of grotesque helmets, as I mentioned before I personally am NOT in favour of these helmets as I feel that do not feel they fit in with the M&B setting because 1) most of these are 16th century helmets, not Medieval helmets and 2) because they are parade helmets and not designed for combat. In fact the decoration and embossing compromises their defensive properties.

Here you go, click on the thumbnails:

I suppose these would fit into the "other" category as "Renaissance parade helmets".

Those are cool, i have been wanting to see a good example of  grotesque helmets for ages, the second one is crazy.

Hallequin

• Sergeant Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2007, 02:13:21 PM »
Really cool stuff, except for this one:

Seriously, WTF?

And yeah, they really don't have much of a place in native M&B. I would like to try modelling one of those some day, though.
Despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage.

Aqtai

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »
Really cool stuff, except for this one:

Seriously, WTF?

And yeah, they really don't have much of a place in native M&B. I would like to try modelling one of those some day, though.

That helmet was part of a suit of armour that was given as a gift to king Henry VIII of England by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I in 1514. Arguments have raged among historians as to why such a bizarre object should have been given by one monarch to another. These arguments have never been resolved. The armour did have another more conventional helmet though, both the other helmet and the rest of the armour were sold for scrap in 1649. That helmet is all that has survived.

Lt. of the tower

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2007, 08:10:02 AM »
If a guy wearing that helm i would turn and run as fast as i could.